• 1 Post By Red5hft
  • 1 Post By samandothers
  • 1 Post By TimPa
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Vintage Craftsman Jointer

I've wanted to add a Jointer to my collection for a while. I was thinking about picking one up, likely a newer, used model. Then I started looking at vintage machines and they really struck a chord with me. I have a Walker Turner band saw from the 30's and it is a beast, all cast iron, really nice lookng castings IMO.

I was checking out FB Market place one morning and I found an older Craftsman 6" that I thought was pretty cool, $100 so I figured wth, I will give it a whirl. Messaged the seller, it was his Dad's, it's in a town that is about an hour out of my way on a return trip from a business meeting so I scheduled a pick up this coming week.

I started doing some research on the Jointer and surprisingly found out that it was manufactured for Craftsman by Walker Turner! Circa 1936 or 1937, about the same as my bandsaw, I was pretty stoked.

Before I turned in that night and I couldn't believe it, another of the exact same jointer in a town 20 miles away, same price, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have extra parts for an 80+ year old jointer, and I bought it.

I actually picked it up the next day and had a great time tearing it apart. Pretty simply machine, very heavy duty fence. The badge on it is in very good shape, I'm on the fence on whether I will repaint it, that 80 year old paint is pretty cool IMO. Now I am looking for a stand, WT had a gorgeous cast stand for thier version, unlikely I will ever find one, but I will look, there was also a steel stand, I have already located one of those.

Pics in order, #1 jointer, #2 jointer, #2 tables cleaned up, #2 badge, Original color from under the indicator, WT cast stand(not mine), WT steel stand
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190320_154416.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	514.8 KB
ID:	373757  

Name:	cman 5600 n2b.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	373759  

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	373761  

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	373763  

Name:	IMG_1938.jpg
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	373765  

Name:	8298-A.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	373767  

Name:	29112-C.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	373769  

The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
JRboostGSR (03-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 05:02 PM

View JRboostGSR's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I've wanted to add a Jointer to my collection for a while. I was thinking about picking one up, likely a newer, used model. Then I started looking at vintage machines and they really struck a chord with me. I have a Walker Turner band saw from the 30's and it is a beast, all cast iron, really nice lookng castings IMO.

I was checking out FB Market place one morning and I found an older Craftsman 6" that I thought was pretty cool, $100 so I figured wth, I will give it a whirl. Messaged the seller, it was his Dad's, it's in a town that is about an hour out of my way on a return trip from a business meeting so I scheduled a pick up this coming week.

I started doing some research on the Jointer and surprisingly found out that it was manufactured for Craftsman by Walker Turner! Circa 1936 or 1937, about the same as my bandsaw, I was pretty stoked.

Before I turned in that night and I couldn't believe it, another of the exact same jointer in a town 20 miles away, same price, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have extra parts for an 80+ year old jointer, and I bought it.

I actually picked it up the next day and had a great time tearing it apart. Pretty simply machine, very heavy duty fence. The badge on it is in very good shape, I'm on the fence on whether I will repaint it, that 80 year old paint is pretty cool IMO. Now I am looking for a stand, WT had a gorgeous cast stand for thier version, unlikely I will ever find one, but I will look, there was also a steel stand, I have already located one of those.

Pics in order, #1 jointer, #2 jointer, #2 tables cleaned up, #2 badge, Original color from under the indicator, WT cast stand(not mine), WT steel stand

Very nice
Nice work on the restoration!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoot summ likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 06:41 PM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
That's a lot better jointer than what they have been selling in recent years. Tables are so short that it is very limited but still great for short work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-30-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry42 View Post
That's a lot better jointer than what they have been selling in recent years. Tables are so short that it is very limited but still great for short work.
That's my main concern with it, although I don't envision doing a lot of longer pieces, will just have to see.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-31-2019, 09:00 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
That is really nice.
Great job cleaning it up.

How did you clean the rust?
red68mgb likes this.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
This one is not yours.......

This is the actual Walker Turner model, I assume? Ya gotta love that Art Deco design! Does your W/T bandsaw have this look?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 17 Old 03-31-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

This is the actual Walker Turner model, I assume? Ya gotta love that Art Deco design! Does your W/T bandsaw have this look?
That is the WT version, and unfortunately it is not mine, I really like everything about that appearance wise.

My bandsaw is similar, not quite as pretty and new as Dad did the restoration about 30 years ago. It is a great machine, super for cutting metal, and great for wood too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WT1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	373809  

Name:	WT2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	373811  

woodnthings likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-31-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Forgot to mention Jointer #2 came with a motor too, just pulled it out, cleaned it up, put a plug on the cord and it runs good!

Based on the logo on it I'm thinking it might be similar in age to the jointer. I don't think the forward/reverse switch is original, but I will leave it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	373825  

post #9 of 17 Old 04-02-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Based on pics I've found that motor is the one that came with it. And the switch is factory as well.

That's the good.

The bad is I picked up Jointer #1 today. The pics of it showed it was a little rough, it is actually really rough. I honestly haven't found one usable part that I would replace one on #2 with. This is one of those deals that I easily could have backed out on the deal, but I gave my word, and I kept it. Now I have a bunch of parts that I need to figure out what to do with. Kind of a bummer, but it is what it is.

Last edited by shoot summ; 04-02-2019 at 07:37 PM.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Well this showed up today, original WT stand for the jointer, not the one I want, but will do until I find the all cast iron one... :)

Haven't decided but I think I am going to have it blasted, and powder coated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wtstand.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	736.7 KB
ID:	373975  

post #11 of 17 Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 PM

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
Fabulous!!

Great rescue and restoration of wonderful old tools! I believe Craftsman tools from 1928 (Introduction of the Craftsman brand) into the 1960s are often overlooked. Many of the tools were rebranded top of the line manufacturers. I am a hand tool enthusiast, and have a first edition, 1928, Craftsman hand plane. It was made by Sargent, a worthy competitor of Stanley, (on some instances, better). Beautiful craftsmanship.

Congrats on your fantastic find!
shoot summ likes this.

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
post #12 of 17 Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Not much progress on the jointers this summer, but I am headed to Texas to pick up a complete WT 907 on the cast iron stand like the pic posted by @woodnthings above. My project queue is not getting smaller....
post #13 of 17 Old 08-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Dust Maker

View samandothers's Photo Album My Photos
Great job on the Jointer #2! Very nice bandsaw for sure, love the fence. Well with the 3rd jointer you will have plenty to do. You may be able to fix jointer #2 up with parts from #3 and sell to recoup your money on both!?! Best of luck.
shoot summ likes this.

Sam
post #14 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 10:12 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
luv the old iron - great job all around!

was just looking at a 14" wt bandsaw on craiglist. not near as nice as yours.
shoot summ likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-23-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Smart and Cool

Pics of the latest machine, trying to schedule time for a short 7 hour round trip next week...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	69070220_10219088114052229_7709005961725214720_n.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	378153  

Name:	68895451_10219088120252384_4923181240284086272_n.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	378155  

post #16 of 17 Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Somehow I think with your abilities those short tables will eventually extended, looks like you are having fun anyway.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #17 of 17 Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
the trouble with jointers ......

Typically, the base is too small for the top heavy cast iron tables. The "old iron" 14 to 16" jointers I've seen, like the Porter have huge bases with short legs that add side support. The tables seem to have gotten shorter for the home shop versions, another major issue. You can find older ones or specify new longer tables which makes the machine much more useful. I have taken to using a straight line jig on my table saw for lumber up to 8 ft long.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Port...r=1.25#imgrc=_

A short table will recreate a curve in an edge because as it reaches the end the far end of the table, it will follow that curved edge and allow it to droop. Countless questions have been posted ..."My jointer makes curved edges, Why?" The reason is the table has stopped supporting the entire length of the board.

I use a jointer like a hand plane with a motor. Each board gets "sighted" for curves before any processing happens. I remove the curve at each end by flipping the board end for end and sighting after a few passes. Eventually, the board gets straight enough to run a full pass over the cutterhead and it comes out "straighter"...... It seem ironic that to get a straight board you need to start with a straight board, well almost.
JRboostGSR likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; Yesterday at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode