Very quick increase in required feed force - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings

post #1 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

View fenestrane's Photo Album My Photos
Very quick increase in required feed force

I know what you think: the blade is dull! However, this happened rather quickly. I was cross cutting wood with no problem. The moment I switched to ripping, the feed became more and more difficult with every rip. I had to apply more pressure, but the blade (Dewalt 20 tooth universal blade) was not burning wood, and the quality of cut was fine. After the fifth cut I decided the blade is just dull and it is not safe. I switched to another blade: Haussmann 200 tooth plywood blade. I know, it is not even close to ideal for ripping, but that was the only sharp blade I had left. This time it started burning wood right away, making a lot of smoke and I stopped half way through. Here is the picture. Any ideas what is wrong?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 03:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
2 wrongs don't make a right

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenestrane View Post
I know what you think: the blade is dull! However, this happened rather quickly. I was cross cutting wood with no problem. The moment I switched to ripping, the feed became more and more difficult with every rip. I had to apply more pressure, but the blade (Dewalt 20 tooth universal blade) was not burning wood, and the quality of cut was fine. After the fifth cut I decided the blade is just dull and it is not safe. I switched to another blade: Haussmann 200 tooth plywood blade. I know, it is not even close to ideal for ripping, but that was the only sharp blade I had left. This time it started burning wood right away, making a lot of smoke and I stopped half way through. Here is the picture. Any ideas what is wrong?
Choosing between a dull or gummed up blade and a totally wrong blade won't get you the results you want.

Ripping should be done with a blade having the fewest teeth and the largest gullets possible, a 40 tooth, a 30 tooth or a 24 tooth.

Overheating a blade will cause the gum and pitch to attach and cause more overheating, and cutting will cease and burning will increase.

Go to the Home Depot and get a Diablo 40 tooth D1040 blade and see how that works. It's around $30.00, maybe less. I used one for about 3 years pretty regularly, ripping and crosscutting and finally just changed it out to see how a 50 tooth would work, not because it was declining in performance.
Toolman50 likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I used one for about 3 years pretty regularly, ripping and crosscutting and finally just changed it out to see how a 50 tooth would work, not because it was declining in performance.
That's another thing: I only used the Dewalt blade for 1 year once a week for a dozen cuts. The blade does not feel dull to touch at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 04:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What type of blade?

IO don't recall seeing a 20 tooth blade for a long time. Is it a HHS or carbide tipped blade? That will make a difference and the tooth profile is also important. Are the teeth all straight across, a true rip blade?

This is a decent rip blade:

This is what I use:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

You are right, it is a 24-tooth carbide tipped blade.
Attached Images

post #6 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 04:11 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenestrane View Post
That's another thing: I only used the Dewalt blade for 1 year once a week for a dozen cuts. The blade does not feel dull to touch at all.
Touch is a pretty bad way to tell if a blade is dull, as is the "well I only used it 'x' amount" mindset. The best way to tell is performance during a cut. If it doesn't perform, it's dull

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Touch is a pretty bad way to tell if a blade is dull, as is the "well I only used it 'x' amount" mindset. The best way to tell is performance during a cut. If it doesn't perform, it's dull
Thanks, it is going for sharpening.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 05:24 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
it's quite odd that this blade went dull in a single rip . . .
methinks there's something else in play.

is it gummed up? I see lots of glue on that work -
is it a narrow blade with a wide riving knife?
is the riving knife set properly?
is the riving knife all gummed up?
did you check the parallel blade to fence bit?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCT2 View Post
it's quite odd that this blade went dull in a single rip . . .
methinks there's something else in play.
That's what I was thinking as well.
Quote:
is it gummed up? I see lots of glue on that work -
There is a little bit of it, but it did not really get gummed up all of a sudden.
Quote:
is it a narrow blade with a wide riving knife?
No, it is a blade that came with the saw; it is not think kerf. I also have not replaced the blade since I purchased it.
Quote:
is the riving knife set properly?
Yeah, I checked it and it seems parallel and in plane with the blade.
Quote:
is the riving knife all gummed up
Nope, it is pristine.
Quote:
did you check the parallel blade to fence bit?
I did not check it with a caliper, but visually seems parallel.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Likely your rip blade was dull. Your 200 tooth blade was never designed for this task. You shortened it's life the minute you started ripping with it.

I use an Amana 60 tooth blade for almost everything I do.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #11 of 13 Old 08-06-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
I use an Amana 60 tooth blade for almost everything I do.
And it does ripping fine?
post #12 of 13 Old 08-07-2016, 12:05 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Does it good enough. My usual wood usage is soft maple and poplar. Both which rip fine. Doesn't push as easy as a low tooth count rip blade, but I only need to buy one blade. I do have about 5 of them. I rotate them down as they get dull. Fresh and sharp I use them as my primary plywood blade. When it starts ripping the grain on crossgrain cuts it gets demoted to solid wood. Been doing it for years now.

I do have a rip blade but I use that for 8/4 stock and when I need a square tooth instead of the AT tooth. Makes for nice square corners instead of bat ears with the AT carbide.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
fenestrane (08-07-2016)
post #13 of 13 Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I got a deal on AvantePro 60 tooth for smoother cuts on plywood and ended up using it for plenty of rips and have had zero problems. I ripped all the 2x lumber for my cradle with it and it cuts great which kind of surprised me . I used the same blade ripping oak which I would normally have to do a bit of planing, but the Avante cuts smoother than I ever believed possible.. It's a bit slower, but no burns or even saw marks..
Got them on sale at big blue..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode