Value of used bandsaws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

View LarrynKy's Photo Album My Photos
Value of used bandsaws

I have the opportunity on two different used bandsaws. One is bluish color Jet WBS-14 and the other is a Delta 28-280 with a riser and Carter guides. The Delta looks appears very clean. I am not sure of the age of either but it seems the Delta was made around 2000 and I wasn't sure what year(s) Jet shipped the saw in that color. Any advice will be helpful. Pictures are below.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to value.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
I say the Jet was quite a bit older...seems like they stopped using that color sometime in the early 90's. Anyway, that Delta may have been one of the last made in USA saws, look for the sticker that says so. If so, the saw is probably worth $350 (+/-), the carter guides add something (call it $75?) and the riser may add a little ($25-35?). That mobile base may be worth some extra as well, call it $50?. I would put the Delta in the $500 range, and that sounds a little high to me. Maybe back the saw itself down to $250, for a total of $400 (?). Still seems a little high, but for a saw in that apparent condition, and those extras, it may well be worth that. Personally, I would put the Jet in the $200 range (or less).

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
What size are the motors on these saws? I agree with Fred that the Delta looks like the more versatile band saw. But the riser block won't do much good for thick resaws if the motor is under 1 horsepower. I have a 1 horsepower Shop Fox with a riser and I really have to go slow with the thicker resaw operations. Others may have different experiences.

To add to Fred's assessment: The Delta has a nice fence on it, too, and the Jet has none.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
The Delta is equipped with more accessories than the Jet as shown. Whether or not those accessories are included in the sale and at what price we don't know. Notwithstanding that however, both the Jet and the Delta are basically the same saw. It would really come down to how much each cost in relation to each other. I would rather have the Delta as shown rather than the Jet only because of the riser block, fence, and mobile stand. But I also see that in the background in the photo with the Delta I see what appears to be a dedicated woodshop with a lathe, table saw with dust collection, work bench with vise, several Bora clamps and is that an air conditioner? What I'm getting at is the person with the Delta obviouly has some background in woodworking hence he is most likely to want top dollar for his bandsaw. Value? From what I've seen on the Chicago-area Craigslist, the Delta would go for $400-$800 and the Jet for $300-$600. It all depends on where you live and how often woodworking machinery pops up for sale.

Last edited by JohnK007; 03-07-2013 at 10:11 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

View LarrynKy's Photo Album My Photos
I believe each saw will have a 1hp motor. The asking price for the Delta without the mobile base but including the fence is $650. The Jet asking price is $360. I was think I would first negotiate on the Delta targeting a price of $450-$500 including the base. I can't see the Jet being worth more than $200 or so.

Thanks for your inputs thus far.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 PM

View gus1962's Photo Album My Photos
I am not pretty sure but Deltas are made in Asia now. Unless, if that's an old USA made model. That delta has been discontinued few years back but it has a similar model which is the 206. It maybe hard to find the spare parts. The deal on the Jet seems pretty okay but doesn't sound fair enough. Anyway, goodluck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode