Used wood lathe - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

View Domain16's Photo Album My Photos
Used wood lathe

There is someone selling a used Tri star 3/4 hp wood lathe with a hss chisel set included for $250, it is in excellent shape. I'm not familiar with the Tristar brand and I could not find anything on it. I'm looking for a beginners lathe, around the $200 price range. This Tristar seems like a decent deal, can handle 14"x40" and its 3/4 hp which is good enough for most things. Does anyone know if Tristar is a good brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 10:35 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
There are others asking the same question on the net. Made in China and there is a manufacturing conglomerate Tristar in China.
I would go by personal inspection before buying.
johnep
post #3 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 02:25 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Look at it and compare with other brands shown on the Internet sites. Many times lathes, etc., are all made in the same factory in China but have different paint jobs. I would recommend seeing it run and have the owner demonstrate turning a bit of wood. I have the HSS set from Harbor Freight that cost about $50-60 and they do good. Also, I recommend a good sharpening system. I have the Rikon low speed grinder and the Wolverine sharpening jig. Woodcraft has the Rikon unit in sale sometimes for $99. I also recommend www.woodturner.org for a trainload of help. I joined two years ago and never regretted it.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's alright but I think the price is too high. Trying to find a picture of the lathe I found one for sale for 150 bucks. Depending on how many and what kind of chisels the lathe comes with I don't know if it would make the difference. You can buy a chisel set on ebay for around 30 bucks but some brand chisels are nearly 30 bucks each.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode