unisaw vs griz - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

View Wally Caritj's Photo Album My Photos
unisaw vs griz

I sold my old #$%& table saw before I sold my house and am having a new house built. I was going to buy a new griz after the house was complete but just ran into a CL ad for a unisaw 36-951, 3HP 220V left tilt with 52" table and a unifence for $1000. Pictures look like it's brand new. I always wanted the unisaw but couldn't justify the $$$. Delta changed model numbers many times as they tweeked part of the saw. Any insights into the model 36-951? Would you spend the $1000 vs the ~$1600 for the griz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I'd take the unisaw.

The only real downside for me is the loss of the riving knife, where as the unisaw has the more traditional bolt on splitter.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
I like grizz,but do NOT count on any resale $$.It just ain't there.For instance,and this is but one of several deals....We bought a 5HP grizz shaper,used,still on the factory pallet and smeared with the goo for less than .40 cents on the $.

Generally,as I see it,grizz is a "run it into the ground",sell it for next to nuthin.But,we make bank with it whilst here.Price of doing biz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
I disagree with that statement. I've seen decent resale on normal equipment around my area with grizzly. Now a 5hp shaper has a pretty small market, so I suspect you'd have had a similar situation with most 5 hp shaper brands.

Much like the resale value of 3 phase equipment is crap, not because the product is bad, just because the market is much smaller.

Resale value is directly correlated to the size of the market available. If there's only one guy willing to make an offer, well your going to get what he offers you, if there's 10 guys chomping at the bit to buy your used 3 hp table saw, your resale is likely to go up.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2016, 07:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would go with the Unisaw.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 05:12 AM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
The Unisaw. In my opinion the Unisaw is the only option for a table saw. Powermatic and General make good saws, but they are not Unisaws.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 09:15 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
specifically, what is the differtence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisawGuy View Post
The Unisaw. In my opinion the Unisaw is the only option for a table saw. Powermatic and General make good saws, but they are not Unisaws.
What could possibly be so different about a Unisaw, other than Deltas parts service is questionable?

I use several Delta Unisaw fences because of their versatility, so I know about that aspect. I also have a 12" Powermatic 68 which has velvet smooth controls and a 5 HP motor, with a Biesmeyer fence. I can't imagine that it gets much better than that....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
I have a unisaw at home for my contracting business, and a grizzly (G1023) at work. the unisaw is built better, runs smoother, and stays accurate longer. my $0.02.

but, I would entertain a Powermatic any day!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 10:07 AM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on the condition, I'd probably go with the Unisaw if it's really nice. The Uni is built for heavy duty industrial use in a commercial setting where it'd be run hard daily. The Griz is well built, but probably not as robust as the Uni...on the upside, the Griz will be brand new with warranty and a modern riving knife. If you're a hobbyist both are going to meet your needs extremely well.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 02:27 PM

View UnisawGuy's Photo Album My Photos
The OP asked advice about which saw to buy. My adivce: Unisaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
What could possibly be so different about a Unisaw, other than Deltas parts service is questionable?
post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 03:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Well, that was to be expected....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnisawGuy View Post
The OP asked advice about which saw to buy. My adivce: Unisaw.
no, really?

I'm tryin' to get at why you're in love with them? Tables are pretty substantial on both, trunnions are also. Bearings may be different, but I doubt Grizzly would cheap out on them, and we would certainly know if they were an issue. Motors may have some differences, I donno? I owned some Grizzly tools and the fit and finish was as good as any. So.... what's the difference?

Especially compared to a Powermatic?

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #12 of 12 Old 05-20-2016, 06:26 PM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
As long as it has a Beisemeyer fence on it I'll use it without much complaint reguardless of color,fit or finish.

Personal preference? Unisaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode