TS first purchase help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

View bemgolf's Photo Album My Photos
TS first purchase help

Alright this site has helped me get my router and sander. I am now needing info for a tablesaw (My First) I have been looking around and have been looking at Delta, Jet and Grizzly. I see the one I want is anywhere from $900 to about $1200. Is there any other in his price range. I am going to be starting woodworking and being a novice I guess I will be in the cabinet some furniture, and home remodeling woodworker. Thanks for your help in my first TS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 04:34 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw type is actually more important than brand IMO. The three you mentioned are all good names. Your price range will just get you into an industrial style cabinet saw, which is pretty much what many of us aspire to own someday....3hp, cabinet mounted trunnions, massive industrial grade build quality that'll last for decades. Note that they do require 220v operation. At ~ $1k, one of the Grizzly 1023 models are very popular and offer the biggest bang for the buck IMO. If you don't have 220v, and can't or won't ever have it, look towards a hybrid which is a full size cast iron saw with a belt drive internally mounted induction motor that'll run on a standard 120v outlet. Hybrids offer several of the same advantages of a cabinet saw but with lower power and a lighter duty rating.

I'd add Steel City, General International, and Shop Fox to that list....SF is owned by the same man who owns Grizzly, but they offer dealer support and a 2 year warranty.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
For safety reasons, you will want to look for a saw with a true riving knife as well.. Just something to consider...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

View bemgolf's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all for your help. I am going to attend a Atlanta tool show at th efirsy of the year and learn. Probably a good place to start as a beginner. What is your thoughts on shows?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-25-2008, 08:52 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
A Contractors tablesaw with a good fence such as a Beisemeyer, Delta Unifence, Delta T2, Vega, etc. is all that most people really need.

Last edited by user4178; 09-26-2008 at 02:20 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-25-2008, 03:02 PM

View Nancy Laird's Photo Album My Photos
The Steel City deluxe 3hp 10" cabinet saw is probably the best bang for the buck in your price range. It's right at $1200 right now (from Woodworker's Supply). The trunnions are cabinet-mounted, it has a 5-year warranty, and the smoothest and most-accurate fence I've ever seen.

Nancy and Dave Laird
D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
David works in the Pro Sales Divison at Woodworker's Supply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode