Triton 3-1/4 HP router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Cowboy up and do just it

View vursenbach's Photo Album My Photos
Triton 3-1/4 HP router

Does anyone have any good or bad info for me before I spend $290?

Typed from iPhone, please forgive the fat fingers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vursenbach View Post
Does anyone have any good or bad info for me before I spend $290?
I have heard nothing but positives about it here and on other forums. A lot depends on what you are planning on using it for. Most I have heard about are dedicated table routers. I was about to pull the trigger on one a couple of years ago for my table but Woodcraft came along with a $199 deal on a Freud 3000 and I grabbed that instead. It is one of the cheaper 3+ HP guys and the cheapest with above table adjustment capability.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Cowboy up and do just it

I would like to mount it in a table an use it as a small shaper for raised panel doors with 1/2" bits and other smaller jobs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 PM
John

Quote:
I would like to mount it in a table an use it as a small shaper for raised panel doors with 1/2" bits and other smaller jobs.
Should work great for that. I wasn't considering it for hand held use, at least not for myself. 14+ lbs is more than I want to try to handle. I did pick up a little JOF001, 1-1/3 HP Triton and it is a decent little router with some neat accessories but I wish I had gone for it in 2-1/4 HP trim.
The iffy thing about Triton, and it slipped my mind till now, is that Kreg has taken over North American distributorship and support and they seem to be treating it as an ugly stepchild, no visible interest in promoting the products. This has been of some concern to me as I also have a Triton Compound sliding miter saw. I am happy with the quality of both my Triton products but also have not had a reason to tap Kreg for product support for them. I guess not having a reason to need service is about as good a warranty as you can ask for though.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 10 Old 04-17-2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Cowboy up and do just it

Lol. I'm a little man, only 4' 6", I was also thinking 3 1/4 HP would rip my arm off my body, tie them in a knot, and mail me home to Mama if I tried to hold it.

post #6 of 10 Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Cowboy up and do just it

If no one tells me to stop, I'm going to order it from Rockler on Friday after I get paid. They have 20% off orders right now. They also have $50 rebate o this item, so this can help a lot on the price. I kind of also like the PC 3 1/2 HP but it is $60 more with no rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

post #7 of 10 Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM
John

Quote:
If no one tells me to stop, I'm going to order it from Rockler on Friday after I get paid. They have 20% off orders right now. They also have $50 rebate o this item, so this can help a lot on the price. I kind of also like the PC 3 1/2 HP but it is $60 more with no rebate.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum
That's a good price. With the PC you would also need to figure in $250 more or less to equip it with a lift. The PC motor rotates to adjust depth of cutting making it a ROYAL PIA to adjust without one. The Triton offers above table adjustment and bit change capability which pretty well negates the need for a lift.
Actually, the big routers, when equipped with soft start are pretty docile. When I first got my Freud 3000 I just set it on the bench, no bit or collet, and pulled the trigger on it to see what would happen. The thing just twisted a little bit, not at all violently, and then just sat there whirrring.

John

post #8 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM

View blackemmons's Photo Album My Photos
I have one in my table and love it. It replaced my Hitachi M12V that I had for years.

I like every thing about it.

JimE
post #9 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 10:54 PM

View tator234's Photo Album My Photos
Got 2 Triton 3-1/4 like them a lot not in table though
post #10 of 10 Old 04-21-2012, 11:14 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator234 View Post
Got 2 Triton 3-1/4 like them a lot not in table though
Why not in a table? My impression has been that they were pretty much designed for table use.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode