The tool search is real. advice? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

View JWalker's Photo Album My Photos
Arrow The tool search is real. advice?

so after reading through lots of threads on here. and getting a feel for how the community feels over particular tools and their thoughts. I have decided to post a question finally.

I have a few tools already in my collection but I need more "precise" tools. I already have a corded drill, a super old cast iron drill press that weighs like 70000 billion pounds. circular saw. various hand saws. and clamps, I swear I buy a new one every week. and more free hand tools, Froes, draw knives, scrapers, planes, and files of such.

but the first tool I feel I need the most is a good quality table saw. My skill has improved to a point and I want to push myself further to do more precise work. I also buy green lumber for 1/3 the price of kiln dried stuff. I would like to rip it down to smaller pieces for storage and also quicker drying.

My problem is, I don't have a thousand + dollars to get a good cabinet makers saw and frankly, even if I did, I'd have to build a bigger tool storage area. so while I do have spending money to buy a saw, I would not like to throw it ALL into a single table saw, lets say I TOP out at $500 USD.

at this point I can either buy new.. or used. while I'd rather buy used [for the price factor] its becoming seemly difficult to find a table saw on my local craigslist worth the money, and within a reasonable driving distance from me, I only own motorcycles so I have to borrow a truck in order to pick things up.

so my question is, any brand new, good quality non-china non-plastic tablesaws out there that suit my needs in the sub $500 category?

or should I just keep waiting and checking craigslist [might take months] and hope on getting a older quality saw for the right price?

Last edited by JWalker; 05-06-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Craig's List Orlando show this

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/4966478575.html

Borrow a truck. Full size cabinet saw for $500.00.

Chinese, but oh well.

For more $$$$
http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/5007778763.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/4966478575.html

Borrow a truck. Full size cabinet saw for $500.00.

Chinese, but oh well.

For more $$$$
http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/5007778763.html

hah. I looked at those. size was a problem.. But you know what, I might be able to talk down the one with the jet. if I can grab it for 500, it might just be worth it guess I'm gonna need to start making efforts for that 18' by 10' workshop.

only thing I'm a bit worried about, is the one is 2HP motor, and the other is a 3. how well would you figure those would handle ripping green hard woods? my corded circular saw is a 2 1/2 HP motor. and it can get kinda boggy on seasoned hard woods. granted it is a cheap skill saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:22 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
no such thing on a circ saw

Your circ saw draws at most 15 AMPs or a little over 1 HP on 120 V. They lie.

Any 2 HP motor should be run on 220 V. All 3 HP motors need 220 V.

A 3 HP will rip 3 " hardwoods all day long.... with a good, sharp rip blade.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Your circ saw draws at most 15 AMPs or a little over 1 HP on 120 V. They lie.

Any 2 HP motor should be run on 220 V. All 3 HP motors need 220 V.

A 3 HP will rip 3 " hardwoods all day long.... with a good, sharp rip blade.
how much you figure those things weigh?
post #6 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 03:05 AM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
500-600 lbs

The tools don't make the craftsman....
post #7 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
There is usually nothing wrong with buying used woodworking machinery. Unless the equipment was abused it would last more than a lifetime. Your budget it the hard part. For $500 you would have to search ebay and craigslist for probably years before finding someone selling a saw for that much less than it was worth. For that amount of money you might be able to get a decent contractor saw. Unless you are cutting heavy stock a contractor saw could be modified to do the same work as a contractor saw. You could enlarge the table and upgrade the fence.
post #8 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 11:08 AM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
brand new, cabinet saw, not made in china? no problem $2500 and you can get a unisaw thats mostly american made/assembled.

$500? that doesnt quite pay for a delta hybrid from lowes.

I gotta roll my eyes when people want american made but dont want to pay for it...
post #9 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 AM

View PhilBa's Photo Album My Photos
There are a lot of sources for used tools. Clearly individual sales on CL is the foremost. However estate sales, auctions and garage sales often have tools. You just have to keep looking. A reasonable mark down over new price is 50%. Though, there is a lot of variability to that. Still you can find decent table saws for less than 500. Especially if there is a little surface rust (easy clean up) or simple problems like broken belt.

I've seen some screaming good deals on table saws at auctions (though you have to be patient as they don't come around that often). Look at the web sites for industrial auctioneers and such. I've been to several estate sales where there were some very well kept saws going for very reasonable prices. I like to think the wood worker who died would be glad to pass his tools onto another woodworker. Search CL for estate sales - there isn't a category.

CL takes some work and thought. Set up search notifications to get email when a listing with certain key words gets posted. With the right set of search terms, you can really narrow it. Manually scanning CL is for the birds. You can then sift through those pretty quickly and get a very early crack the item. The good deals don't last long at all. And, don't email or text - call. It's much harder to ignore a phone call and most sellers take the first caller they talk to.

Consider buying the best used saw now and watching for a better one to come along. You should be able to sell your first saw for about what you paid and, if you got a good deal on it, maybe a bit more. In either event, you come out ahead as you have the use of a saw while waiting for the better one.

Last edited by PhilBa; 05-06-2015 at 11:38 AM.
post #10 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 11:31 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
I thought Delta was bought out and sold a couple 3 times so far and the last I heard was a Taiwanese Co. So calling American made because it was maybe assembled over here is a joke yeah.

I recall Volkswagen doing the same thing back in the late 60s early 70s to circumvent import costs.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #11 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

whooa whooa. No I'm not looking for a cabinet saw, I actually don't have the space for one, I can make space but really I was looking for an older contractor saw. I just needed something that could handle the grunt of ripping green lumber.

also where the heck did I say I wanted american made only? I didn't. I just didn't want one of those saws with the really crappy plastic bases and the pressed sheet metal tops, was it. Not that it had to be american made? lol
post #12 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 11:56 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
First - Welcome here to this very friendly woodworking forum where there is always room for one more! Some good advice from previous posts, but finding the "prefect saw" is a big task in it self. Consider making a list of features your TS should have, check in stores that sell better quality TS, and look at the features/price. Talk to associates in custom lumber yards, or builders who may know contractors that may be willing to sell an older TS at a good price. It is doubtful if you will find an exact match to your list, but you could find a TS that is more than you expected. Enjoy your stay, and be safe.
post #13 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 12:13 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
There's nothing wrong with a plastic body and cast top TS, I've been using the same Mak 2703 as a jobsite TS since 2003. Before that I had and used an 8" Mak from 87 to 2003. True the plastic body can't survive the abuse a metal body can but then why would one abuse a tool they rely on?

Maybe I was lucky and got prime examples of the brand, I don't know, but they did everything I put them to. I still have the 8" Mak but only use it for tiling.

As for cab saws, room is relative, everything in my 13X22' shop but the built in work benches is on wheels. I go through a reconfiguration item dance every time I change processes, it's like one of those sliding picture puzzles. It takes more time to complete projects but you learn to get creative

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #14 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:12 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
...so my question is, any brand new, good quality non-china non-plastic tablesaws out there that suit my needs in the sub $500 category?

or should I just keep waiting and checking craigslist [might take months] and hope on getting a older quality saw for the right price?
If the saw you want, whatever that is, isn't available at your price point, craftsman contractor saws with a 1 1/2 hp motor, a couple cast wings can regularly be found for $100.00. Some have poor fences, others have adequate fences.

As an interim solution, it is a good one. You would have a table saw and still have $400.00 while you continue to determine what it is you really want.
post #15 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
whooa whooa. No I'm not looking for a cabinet saw, I actually don't have the space for one, I can make space but really I was looking for an older contractor saw. I just needed something that could handle the grunt of ripping green lumber.

also where the heck did I say I wanted american made only? I didn't. I just didn't want one of those saws with the really crappy plastic bases and the pressed sheet metal tops, was it. Not that it had to be american made? lol
your post said non china...

ignoring job site saws as being a unique application. The cheapest, new saws, worth buying are

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010...saw&facetInfo=

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...29iZg2Z18gZ1aw

the next step up would be a cabinet saw from grizzly or jet up over $1000

You might find a grizzly or jet ts used for 500 though if your lucky, depends on your patience.
post #16 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghidrah View Post
I thought Delta was bought out and sold a couple 3 times so far and the last I heard was a Taiwanese Co. So calling American made because it was maybe assembled over here is a joke yeah.

I recall Volkswagen doing the same thing back in the late 60s early 70s to circumvent import costs.
They are owned by a taiwanese company, some parts are imported, but I think 80% is american made and assembled. Which I think it the only mainstream saw still claiming that... even powermatic is outsourced, maybe not all of them...
post #17 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
your post said non china...

ignoring job site saws as being a unique application. The cheapest, new saws, worth buying are

http://www.lowes.com/pd_510897-52010...saw&facetInfo=

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13...29iZg2Z18gZ1aw

the next step up would be a cabinet saw from grizzly or jet up over $1000

You might find a grizzly or jet ts used for 500 though if your lucky, depends on your patience.
By non-china I meant, nothing that was junky that would break right after the warranty was up in two years. or had terrible fences that wobbled an took more then it was worth to line the fence up with the blade.

I'm going to go check out a oldie rockwell contractor saw friday, if everything checks out ill buy it. seems like a pretty good deal for 250, comes with a bunch of extra blade and it looks like everything is still there! pretty good condition light flash rust. I called the guy today and said I was calling "about the rockwell" and he kinda sat on the phone quite for a minute and then I said "the table saw" and he went "oh" and started going on about it. I assume this is one of those dead family members items someones trying to sell. I ain't complaining.
post #18 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 04:44 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Most new saws are made in China these days....if you're lucky, you'll find one from Taiwan. Some of the China saws are fine.

The Delta 36-725 from Lowes is your best bet in a full size new saw IMO. The HD and Sears offerings are very similar to each other, but have some hit or miss alignment issues. A portable saw will have little to no advantage over a full size stationary saw unless you need to move it from location to location.

Used often offers the most saw for the money. That $500 cabinet saw is worth a look if you have 220v. A standard cabinet saw should take up less room than a contractor saw with the motor hanging off the back. There's a decent looking used Ridgid TS2424 in Orlando for $300.....reasonable asking price, decent fence, good reputation, made in the USA. There's also a nice Ridgid 3650...it'd be a nice deal if they'd take somewhere closer to $325-$350.

Last edited by notskot; 05-06-2015 at 05:17 PM.
post #19 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
I think this is precisely the type of thing smithbrother was referring to, seems like we're trying to scare off a new member.

JWalker, as far as new goes the Delta contractor saw at Lowes has been getting very good reviews. In fact I just checked out the new Fine Wood Working magazine today and even they had positive remarks. Depending on your location and what sales are going on you can get it between $499-599. Pretty close to your range.

Nothing wrong with going used, checking CL and whatnot. You can often times get a heck of a deal. Just be wary of bad eggs and realize that they ARE out there.

Good luck and welcome!

Jon
post #20 of 36 Old 05-06-2015, 09:16 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
They are owned by a taiwanese company, some parts are imported, but I think 80% is american made and assembled. Which I think it the only mainstream saw still claiming that... even powermatic is outsourced, maybe not all of them...
AFAIK, Delta sent the Unisaw manufacturing back to Asia within recent months.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode