Toastmaster jigsaw/mini lathe combo i got at auction - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 26 Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

View Paul01's Photo Album My Photos
Toastmaster jigsaw/mini lathe combo i got at auction

Hi, i got this tool at auction and have been unable to find anything whatsoever about it. Its actually made by toastmaster and its little name tag boasts that it can turn, drill, saw, sand, grind and finish. I wasn't able to talk to the seller, and the machine only came with what was attached to it, though from a cached google page i found that it once had several other parts, a grinding wheel with a cover, several brackets that fit into the slider, a guide rail that pinned into the deck of the saw, and a drive center. It only came with the plate spindle for end mounting. So, besides showing it to people who might find it interesting, im wondering if anyone knows anything about this. And if you know where i can get tools that can mount on its spindle (3/8" dia 24 tpi) since most drive centers wedge in rather than screwing on, its going to be tough to find one that can go on here. But since i am an avid woodworker, but now live in an apartment and have no shop, getting this thing to allow me to do small projects at least would be nice. One cool thing about it, it takes normal jigsaw blades, the ones i already have fit well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
That's an interesting piece of gear you have. Never seen one before. It reminds me of a mini Shopsmith multi tool. You might have to manufacture some extra bits and pieces for it, But it looks like you could do quite a lot of things with it on a smaller scale.

Gerry
post #3 of 26 Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Yep, thats what i have in mind, that slider has a groove and several bolt holes, and the speed is adjustable, so i could probably do a lot with it if i can make or acquire the parts. I think a drum sander would be a real easy one, i could just make it bolt on to the faceplate that came with the thing. If i could just get use of a metal lathe for an hour or so theres quite a few things i could make for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 02-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Retired and enjoying it.

View TheLt's Photo Album My Photos
Got one too !!!

I picked mine up at a garage sale for $1.00. It doesn't have the table top for the jig saw, and I didn't know about it until I saw your pictures, but I can probably make one. Can you post a picture of how the jigsaw table mounts? Here are the pictures of mine and this is all I got with it.

post #5 of 26 Old 02-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
If it helps any most normal drill chucks, for hand
drills have a 3/8X24 mounting thread. You can
get them up to 1/2" capacity. You may need a nut
behind it to lock it on the shaft.

You may be able to modify a lathe thing to use
in the chuck.

It looks like a neat thing.

With the drill chuck, you could use sanding drums
as well. I got this set at good old Harbor Freight
and really like them, I use old sanding belts for
the replacement paper on them.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35455

post #6 of 26 Old 02-16-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Lt, I'll post some pictures of it when I'm home. Its cool to see there are a few more of them out there. Mine unfortunatly, while it has the table, is missing the tool rest. I've also seen a bench grinder attachment with a grinding guard in pictures. The table mount is just a tab on each side where that bolt and wing nut are, they are slotted and rest in the curved groove so that the angle can be adjusted. Standard small jigsaw blades fit into it, I'll have to look to get the exact size, I just borowed some from my hand held jigsaw.
post #7 of 26 Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 AM
Retired and enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul01 View Post
Mine unfortunatly, while it has the table, is missing the tool rest.
Looks like you have the main part of the tool rest, the base. Shouldn't be too hard to make a tool rest. It's about a 1/8" or a little thicker. Look at the picture of mine and cut one out and make the bends.
post #8 of 26 Old 12-09-2009, 10:46 PM

View cz4578's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Toastmaster Home-Shop model #5560 that I got from an uncle who was terminally ill as a gift about three yeas ago. It has sat in my garage since until I started to try and find more info about it. It has everything with it except the drum sanding kit, sanding table for disc sanding, and set of drill bits for horizontal drilling. It does have original sabre saw table and blade(s), grinding wheel, guards/eyeshields, wire brush/wheel, disc sanding pad, cotton buff wheel, 3/8" chuck and key, toolrests for turning/grinding, open end wrench, chisel, and owners manual. I will try to post pictures at a later date.
post #9 of 26 Old 12-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Retired and enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz4578 View Post
I have the Toastmaster Home-Shop model #5560 that I got from an uncle who was terminally ill as a gift about three yeas ago. It has sat in my garage since until I started to try and find more info about it. It has everything with it except the drum sanding kit, sanding table for disc sanding, and set of drill bits for horizontal drilling. It does have original sabre saw table and blade(s), grinding wheel, guards/eyeshields, wire brush/wheel, disc sanding pad, cotton buff wheel, 3/8" chuck and key, toolrests for turning/grinding, open end wrench, chisel, and owners manual. I will try to post pictures at a later date.

Wow! You have a pretty near complete one. I bet that's hard to find. Please post the pictures as I would like to see all that I'm missing.
post #10 of 26 Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Wow

I found this one for sale google'ing at lunch today.
I like these gizmos. May have to get one myself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=13641791
post #11 of 26 Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 PM

View sddemoss's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to sddemoss
Toastmaster Lathe

I've had one of these for 30 years! The darn little thing works as long as you are not doing anything of any size. Fun to play with!
Here is a picture of the one I have.

How do you put a picture in here? I've got one but I couldn't get it to post.

I figured it out!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2589.jpg
Views:	2193
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	13188  

Last edited by sddemoss; 01-29-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: photo not included
post #12 of 26 Old 01-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Retired and enjoying it.

That looks great. Wish I could find the rest of the pieces to make mine complete. It would be a neat toy to play with.
post #13 of 26 Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 PM

View Uncle Paul's Photo Album My Photos
Question A green 'un

[quote=TheLt;116326]That looks great. Wish I could find the rest of the pieces to make mine complete. It would be a neat toy to play with.[/quote

Paid 2 bucks for mine at a garage sale. It's green not yellow, and has a jacob chuck and a home made dead center. Anyone know a source for the manual (or lubricating instructions)? I'd like to get it lubed before I try turning pens with it! Uncle Paul
post #14 of 26 Old 05-14-2010, 06:59 PM

View timmonl's Photo Album My Photos
I just picked up one of these from a guy on craigslist. Does anyone that has a manual know how to get the yellow wheel off of it? I'm not sure if mine is locked on there pretty good or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated, looks like a cool little toy!
post #15 of 26 Old 05-15-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

I think I got it off by grabbing a flat part on the shaft with an adjustable wrench and turning the wheel. That allowed me to get to the threads to mount other tools. I'll have a look at it and let you know, it might not have a flat in which case I must have just used locking pliers, which is wrong, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
post #16 of 26 Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Thanks! I don't see a flap part off hand, will probably try taking it apart to see if there's one inside or something. Otherwise it looks like i'll be using wd40 and find something to hold that shaft with.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 PM

View ebrak's Photo Album My Photos
Toastmaster Deluxe Electric Home Shop, Model 5560

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz4578 View Post
Just aquired the above item and need the manual or specifics on using and setting it up. Any help would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebrak For This Useful Post:
sc000bber (12-29-2014)
post #18 of 26 Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

timmonl, I remember how I got the end off now, I rotated the end counter clockwise until the saw holder was comming up, then I clamped it so it would hold the shaft from rotating. I was concerned that this might damage the mechanism but I didn't have to use much force to get it loose, and once I took the case apart and looked inside it's a pretty robust mechanism anyway.
post #19 of 26 Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM

Thanks Paul01. I took it apart after giving it a weeks worth of wd40 and got it off. Right now i'm trying to figure out how to get some sort of live center for the tailstock.
post #20 of 26 Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 AM

View Toolman2's Photo Album My Photos
This tool was made by the Portable Electric Tools division of McGraw-Edison Co. of Geneva Ill. The following is from the OWWM site:

McGraw-Edison Co. was created by the 1957 acquisition by McGraw Electric Co. (founded 1900) of Thomas A. Edison Industries (founded 1911).
In 1957, shortly after McGraw-Edison was created, the company acquired Griswold Manufacturing Co., which made a line of portable electric tools. And in 1969 they acquired General Electric's power tool business.
Griswold Manufacturing Co. was founded 1865 in Erie, PA, to make cast iron products, especially cookware. See the Griswold collectors web site for a history of Griswold.
In 1972 McGraw-Edison acquired the power-tool division of G. W. Murphy Industries, Inc., which had acquired Portable Electric Tools, Inc. some time before. It is not known whether all of McGraw-Edison's woodworking tools and machinery can be traced back to Portable Electric Tools. We have reports of some machines labled as "McGraw-Edison Co. / Bersted Mfg. Div. / Boonville, MO" In 1926, McGraw Electric Co. had acquired Bersted Manufacturing Co. of Chicago.
Sometime before 1985, McGraw-Edison sold their power-tool division to Deco Enterprises, Inc., of St. Louis, MO. In 1985, Cooper Industries bought McGraw-Edison. In 1992 McGraw-Edison Co. became McGraw-Edison Corp.
As for Deco Enterprises, they were out of business by about 2004. Parts and service for McGraw-Edison's woodworking machines are no longer available.
If you are looking for information on woodworking machines from this maker, also check under the following entries:
Information Sources

• The history of this company is adapted from the web site of the Toaster Museum Foundation. Visit that site for more detailed information on the corporate history of this diversified manufacturer.
  • A correspondent reports a 10" Shopmate radial arm saw, ca. 1980, labeled, "MacGraw-Edison Co. Portable Appliance & Tool Group, Boonville, MO". Another correspondent reports a new-in-box radial arm saw from Montgomery Wards; included in the box was an original packing slip stating "Manufacturer -- McGraw Edison Company" and listing Montgomery Wards under "Sold To:" The Packing List is dated 4/21/73. A third correspondent reports a "McGraw-Edison Co. lathe Bersted Mfg. Div., model #76100-a."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode