Thoughts on CL TS listing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

View praichel's Photo Album My Photos
Thoughts on CL TS listing

Throwing one up for experts opinion on saw and price. Also what else I should look at when I go see it. Should this pass a nickel test?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/2802598713.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE

View BassBlaster's Photo Album My Photos
Cant really give you a lot of guidance other than, the fence alone is worth the asking price. As for the nickel test, that dosnt really mean anything and I would never expect a used saw to pass this test. There are many reason I can think of that would cause enough vibration to keep a nickle from standing yet wouldnt be a reason to not buy the saw.

RRBrown, knottscott and many others were banned, they didn't just leave. They were banned for standing up to the new owners that are destroying this site. Come join us all at woodworking chat, the best new woodworking site on the net!!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

I must admit I am a little nervous about the comment " there appears to be no problem with the arbor". That is leading me to believe that there very well maybe a problem and he honestly hasn't investigated it or that this model of saw has a history of arbor problems. I have written the posted to ask for a model number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Looks to be worth $150 to me....very little financial downside IMO. See what the HP of that replacement motor is....should be 1-2 hp.

The nickel test isn't overly scientific because the nickels themselves are a significant variable....even if it fails it doesn't mean there's a problem worth fixing. Most vibration issues are belt or pulley related, and are typically easy to cure. Run it (with a known good blade if you can) and see if it vibrates excessively. If it doesn't, great....if does, it could still be easily fixable, but offer less. If it does vibrate, unplug the saw and remove the belt, then run the motor alone...if it still vibrates, the motor is the cause...a used motor for that saw would run $50-$75, but it could be something as motor bearings that are much cheaper to replace.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Just for completeness sake ... I heard back from the CL OP and he stated that the model number is 113-29940. The motor is a GE replacement motor rated at 1.5 hp. The extension wings are Biesemeyer white formica cover particle board and there is an additional cast aluminum wing.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 03:46 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
even if that thing vibes so bad it moves across the guys garage id buy it, keep the fence and sell the motor. junk the rest
post #7 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

I am a total noobie ... Any advice on what to look at? I read Knotscott's advice earlier but I was more concerned about what to look at with the fence since that seems to be the clincher. THe seller also told me he did some refurb/reassembly to take the pictures so I'm nervous that he is gonna pass off mis-alignment due to that. I have never aligned/adjusted a table saw system so I don't want to get hustled. Thanks again everyone.

PS: If you think this is bad, jsut wait till I buy this thing and really start firing off questions
post #8 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
if thats the case you'd want to check to make sure first your blade is square to the miter slots, than you also adjust your fence to that. you also want to make sure the fence is the same distance above the table front and back, and the same distance above the table throughout its travel. these are good things to check weather you are buying a used machine or a new machine, as well as periodically throughout your ownership. there are several good publications out there on the topic, as well as I'm sure if you goggled TS alignment you will find alot of information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode