talk me out of it - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

View Dvoigt's Photo Album My Photos
talk me out of it

I'm slowly building my shop, many thanks to used tools on craigslist.... the best site ever! I have a 2 and half car garage that houses all my tools and wood and 2 cars, so space it tight. The only big tools that I want/need is a bandsaw and a drum sander. I'm being picky on the bandsaw and let a few nice ones get away because the prices were a bit high for me. But now there have been a few drum sanders popping up... and they are more in the range I have to work with right now. I just sort of feel that I would get more use out of the bandsaw... but if I resaw on the bandsaw, then a drum sander would be very handy. You see my dilemma here.

Give me some reasons to not buy the drum sander, after all it is a niceity, not a necessity.

See what we offer at HandmadeWoodGifts and become a fan of our Facebook page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I'd think a planer and a joiner would be higher priorities.
I sold a Performax 16/32 because of alignment and tracking issues. If you MUST have a drum sander, an enclosed model is a better bet, IMO.
After I sold the Performax I built the V sander from Stockroom Supply. You might check it out before dropping a bundle on a drum sander.

Gene
post #3 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Well I already have a jointer and planer... I have just about all that I need, except for the bandsaw and drum sander. Also, I'm not a production shop, I'm a hobbiest with dreams of being a production shop. When I do get a sander it probably won't be one of those giant enclosed ones... There is a 37" one in my area for $8k, but no thank. I'm look more in the 400 range. Maybe one day.... But not in my garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

View toolman Steve's Photo Album My Photos
I have a "V" sander from stockroom supply , and I love it .I picked it up at a trade show I bought the parts and built the box my self I had a motor from a old ac unit. it cost me less than $180.00 .It every thing from striping paint to very fine sanding. and if you follow the instruction there is very little dust. In my opinion. it is a good buy.

Steve M.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
I'd say more space... Evicting the cars out into the driveway might just be in order...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #6 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
I'd say more space... Evicting the cars out into the driveway might just be in order...
True story

post #7 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvoigt View Post
Give me some reasons to not buy the drum sander, after all it is a niceity, not a necessity.
Drum sander will generate mega dust. If you don't have good dust collection now, you'll want to invest in a good system after getting the drum sander = more cost.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Drums sander was my last big machine purchase

In order of purchase, just my preference, Table saw, Band saw, Jointer, Drill press, Planer,Dust Collector(s), Router Table, then Drum Sander.
If you are going to to do glue ups or book match thin stock the drum sander is a necessity. And as was stated a Drum Sander requires a really good dust collector, even a dedicated one, or mobile one, if you don't have an overhead piping system. The drum sander is also a "thicknessing" sander, so when making joints like dovetails, or finger joints, material thickness uniformity is important. I have the General dual drum 24" and it is an excellecnt machine.

Just for the record, you are finding out what many of us have discovered over the years...in order to go West you have to go North, South and East to get there, and on the way you will acquire many different tools for specific operations. These operations can be done with hand methods or variations of jigs and such, but for efficiency sake the proper tool for the job always wins. Buy one size larger than you think, and save, bargain, research for the best deals and best equipment. There are gobs of tales here where our fellow woodworkers have discovered deals that won't quit, my self included. The Craftsman 10" model 21224 hybrid for $486.00 regularly $1200.00! bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-14-2009 at 07:20 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Yea, you are probably right, and I should at least have a dust collector before I get the sander!

post #10 of 11 Old 07-15-2009, 11:14 AM

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly has some incredible sales going on now. Bandsaws seem to very affordable.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-16-2009, 02:40 AM

View KevinK's Photo Album My Photos
Okay, I am still wondering why the cars are in your shop.

I think one of the best points was you need a dust collector before you need a drum sander, without the DC you will have problems with the drum sander.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode