Table for Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

View crazy8's Photo Album My Photos
Table for Table Saw

I have decided that I would like to build a "cart" for my new table saw and also build a hinged table so that I can expand the table space when needed. I have been trying to plan this out and have come across an interesting situation. I have seen many other setups to gather ideas and inspiration from and I have seen a variety of everything. I couldn't help but notice that some people place the saw in the left corner, some in the middle, and some in the right?

With that said, how does one decide where to place the table saw when building a bigger table for it? I cant think of much other than:

A. I'm right handed, so it makes more sense (to me) to have the fence on my left and to have the saw either in the middle or the center.

B. If I have some 8x4 plywood, it seems to me that I should have at least 4' of table starting from the blade, and if that's the case, then it seems to make more sense to have the table saw in the middle, so there's at least 4' on either side of the blade.

So, how does one figure out where to put his saw? Am I reading to much into this? What questions should I be asking myself when trying to figure this out?

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
sigh. there is no "one and only one correct answer."

how "big" must "big" be - - - if you're using the table saw as a panel saw - i.e. wide panels for sides and backs of cabinets,,, for example.... you'll need 3-4 feet on either side of the blade. and that only applies for situations where you are using the miter gauge, not the fence - the fence rails on non-purpose specific saw design rarely go out huge numbers of inches....

being right handed, I prefer the fence to the right of the blade. my right-hand motor skills to be-jiggle the fence position are better than my klutzy left.....

there comes a time in your sawing life when due to tilt angle (very few tables saws tilt both left and right . . . ) piece configuration, whatever, whatnot and whathaveyou - it will come to pass you must have the fence on the left. given a large shop area and few other constraints - 48" inches left and right of the blade is really kool. front to back... don't go overboard in the front to blade dimension. you have to hold the piece being fed - positioning from feet away is unpleasant. for the back side outfeed - consider ye' olde' roller tripod to support long pieces exiting the saw. works wonders.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 05:39 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Your not going to crosscut a 4x8 sheet on the saw, so you don't need 4' on each side.
I like a min of 4'+ behind the bade. In my crowded shop I think the outfeed I made is about 32" long. There is always the roller stand for longer stuff.
Tip. I covered my rollers on my stands with a section of cut open pvc pipe, so there is no rolling. Too many times it would steer the wood away from the fence during cuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
I have a much larger table on the right of my pm66.For the same reason that the fence runs that way.I'm right handed and if cutting over a 4 ' piece it will be on the right of the sawblade.I never cut the finish piece on the left side and the fence is set up to cut on the right. I have enough table on the left just to keep any drop offs from falling.
As far as outfeed I have enough table to keep a 4X8 ' sheet from dropping when crosscut.If I'm ripping 8'lenghts or better I add a roller stand after the outfeed table.Shop space is valuble even in a large shop.

Last edited by mako1; 04-11-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode