table saws - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

View lmei007's Photo Album My Photos
table saws

I am planning to buy a table saw for my basement project. Heard that used good table saw is better than cheaper new table saw. I found two used table saws. One is three years old Dewalt DW744 w/ Stand and Support Wings and one is Delta 10" Model 34-670 (probably more than 10 yrs old, lost the safty guard, not belt driven but in very good shap). Both are one owner by home owner for home project only. First one ask $250 and second one ask $200. which one I should take. I need your professional advice. thanks,
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
table saws

I'd go with the DeWalt in a heartbeat before someone else grabs it. It's one of the best jobsite saws on the market., and it's a great price. New with the supports your looking at over $600. I wouldn't wait too long to decide if I was you.

Last edited by user4178; 05-05-2008 at 08:42 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Don't overlook the BT3100 by Ryobi, and Craftsman 21829 (Jobsite version of the same saw).

Belt driven, very tough, very accurate, very extendible with a variety of add ons, jigs, clamps, etc... That Dewalt you are looking at is another good saw...

Of course if portability and space saving foldability isn't a problem, look for an older (Pre 1980) Craftsman cabinet type saw... I have seen a couple of those locally for under $500.00 lately with upgraded fences etc...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Two different saws with very different strengths. The DW is far more portable if that's important to you. The Delta weighs more and should be more stable, and has more table surface (especially in front of the blade), but you said it's not belt drive, meaning it's probably got a universal motor....$200-$250 is on the high side for that saw IMO. You should be able to find a good full size cast iron contractor saw with a belt drive induction motor in your price range...I'd keep looking.

Last edited by knotscott; 05-05-2008 at 08:09 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 PM

View widekerf's Photo Album My Photos
That particular model saw soured me on Delta forever. Went through 2 motors on it, and that long object on the right side
should never have been called a fence. Was never able to adjustit so that I could move it to a setting an and expect it to
cut square and to a number. Required me to stop the saw and manually re-set it for every cut made me wonder why people
liked table saws so much. I found out after junking the fence and started useing my Incra router jig with a Forrester WW2 blade
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
I have the 600 version of the Delta and it's belt driven. It's just a small one inside the motor. Jump on that puppy before someone snags it.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
Two different saws with very different strengths. The DW is far more portable if that's important to you. The Delta weighs more and should be more stable, and has more table surface (especially in front of the blade), but you said it's not belt drive, meaning it's probably got a universal motor....$200-$250 is on the high side for that saw IMO. You should be able to find a good full size cast iron contractor saw with a belt drive induction motor in your price range...I'd keep looking.

I have to agree with this reasoning. If you're patient, you may find a much better deal like a better saw, upgraded fence, and some other accessories that are sometimes included.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 PM

View jeffreythree's Photo Album My Photos
Be patient and get a feel for the prices in your area. then watch clist like a hawk. This week in Dallas a Rigid TS3650 went for $250obo complete and very new looking. A Jet 3hp Hybrid went for $400 last week. I still have not found my own dream saw close enough, a Delta 12/14, though the Dewalt 20" RAS I found today on the Dallas clist was pretty cool.

"Say hello to my little friend" Macie Clark, Christmas 2010

http://texaswoodlot.blogspot.com
post #9 of 9 Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
My wife has a saying. There is one (whatever) out there with your name on it. You just have to wait on it. It will turn up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode