3Likes
  • 1 Post By DirtSailor
  • 1 Post By hawkeye10
  • 1 Post By bargoon

post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

View DirtSailor's Photo Album My Photos
Table Saw woes

Ladies and Gents,

I'm trying to score a decent table saw. Heart is set on a delta 34-444. Can't find one, or a similar contractor saw, in my area (Colorado Springs). Wife and I just bought our first house after 15 years of moving around with the Navy. Looking for wisdom from the community here on the following:

1) any good deals on craigslist, etc. near Colorado Springs (I'll drive if needed). If you see one link it up and I'll go after it...

2) is anybody making a reliable saw new? I'd pay ~$600 if needed.

I'm tight on space in our new 2 car garage. My intent is to build the contractor saw into a workbench with casters. That way I can wheel it out when needed and otherwise tackle normal household chores on the workbench.

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 10:53 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the forum, Mike! Add your location to your profile so it shows in the side panel. Add your first name to your signature line so we'll remember (sorry, but we'll forget otherwise).

How big of a hurry are you in for getting your saw? Surely in an area like Colorado Springs there's bound to be one or two turn up often. I've never used or owned a contractor saw but I see new ones advertised for about $350 up to more than a grand.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Done! Thanks for the tips. I'm not in a hurry...wife is! She wants desks for the kids and I would like to build a dining room table (simple flat tops with steel legs procured from the web).
difalkner likes this.

Mike S.
Colorado Springs, CO
USN, 1140
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 11:30 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
My advice is be patient and keep looking on Craigslist. Eventually something will show up with your price point you should be able to buy a decent machine.

I checked a bit on CL:

I would stay away from the older Craftsman machines especially the screw handle type fence like this.

This is a nice saw.

And this one
Hope this helps!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 11:40 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Get this one!

This General International is a 12" 2 HP saw with a Biesemeyer fence a great combination and the price is reasonable.

https://denver.craigslist.org/tls/d/...993626648.html

Act fast on it!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Gents,

Thank you very much. I would have overlooked that General International (wasn't familiar with the brand). It's currently sitting in my garage! Next challenge - it came with an ~84" fence rail system. As mentioned before I'm tight on space and was going to build a workbench ~42" x 96". The length would have been the run out table. For some reason, before I drove 1.5 hrs to pick it up, I assumed that rail system would break down to two or three pieces (doesn't make sense I know). Now I'm at a loss - thinking about building a workbench that incorporates the entire fence and having an extension that I can remove when necessary. Don't have the heart to cut that rail system down. Not sure if I'll be able to find someone to trade down for a smaller rail system. Regardless, good problems to have.

Thanks again! I'll post a pic when I'm done.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike S.
Colorado Springs, CO
USN, 1140
post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 08:16 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
My advice is be patient and keep looking on Craigslist. Eventually something will show up with your price point you should be able to buy a decent machine.

I checked a bit on CL:

I would stay away from the older Craftsman machines especially the screw handle type fence like this.

This is a nice saw.

And this one
Hope this helps!

That Craftsman saw made in the 1980's is perfectly good. I have one of its brothers sitting in my garage since the mid 1980's.

As long as it is belt driven and not one of the direct drive models.

The problem is with the fence and not the saw. It is not that the fence will not work, it is that the fence is just a pain to align each time you want to change your ripping cut. After many years of cussing how long and how much care it was to set the fence accurately, I upgraded. At that time got a Craftsman X-2424.

I did search on "X-2424 fence" and THIS

There are other fences available, both used and new, that will fit this saw. In the meantime, the original fence will work, it is just more work to set it accurately.

George
post #8 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 11:12 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=DirtSailor;2074671.................Next challenge - it came with an ~84" fence rail system........ thinking about building a workbench that incorporates the entire fence Don't have the heart to cut that rail system down......[/QUOTE]

Mike, glad u got that saw. As for the fence, think about it for a while before you do anything. You may find that you use that extra length of fence more than you think, especially if you build furniture and cabinets. Just keep tellin yourself "I will cut it down smaller - Soon, but not today.

Try to come up with a work bench design that incorporates the full length of the rail using the space under it for storage. Then put the whole thing on wheels. BTW, if you build that cabinet/workbench, more than likely, you will be using the full length of the fence rail.

BTW, if you build a new work bench, you van remove the legs that came with the saw and incorporated the saw into the bench. if you do this, keep in mind that you will probably have to leave an open space or hole under the saw for the sawdust to fall down into. Maybe even a wooden box with a trash bag liner.

Enjoy your new hobby

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx

Last edited by Tony B; 10-16-2019 at 11:20 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-16-2019, 10:01 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Mike, you have a nice saw and I would put up with it being too big. One day you will be glad you have a big saw.
DirtSailor likes this.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-17-2019, 10:49 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I have had that saw with a 52" unifence for about 20 years. Never had to do any repairs. Been an excellent saw for the stuff I do.
DirtSailor likes this.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode