table saw without a fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

View johnvosh's Photo Album My Photos
table saw without a fence

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 10" 13 amp table saw for $40. It works, comes on a stand, and came with a sharp diablo 50 tooth blade. The only problem is it doesn't have a fence. How would I go about replacing or making one? Thank you so much. I'm new to a lot of this, but am wanting to learn as much as I can.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 12:29 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
There are several aftermarket fences on the market. I have the Sears Align-a-rip. $119+s&h
30" rip capacity to the right, 24" to the left..easy to install and use.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...7JjxoChG_w_wcB

But do a google search for table saw rip fences and you'll find about 9,763,759,035,542,741.93 results. (an arbitrary number I pulled out of my keester)

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 06-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
What brand is it?

If you know the brand you can look on Ebay for parts. That saw appears to be a shorter table version of the table saws I know of, but I may be wrong looking at the photo.

The length from front to rear of the table is the main factor when looking for a "parts" fence and the next factor is the means of attaching it.... all unknowns at this juncture.

IF you end up having to make one, as I did many years back, it's a bit of an engineering project and required some metal working tools.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...able+saw+fence

Unistrut makes a "U" channel that would make a decent DIY fence and it's available at electrical supply houses, maybe even Home Depot. Search You Tube for DIY table saw fences. There are flat clamps that lock with a cam which could be used immediately, no engineering required:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-05-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 03:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It's not that great of a saw so be careful how much you spend on a fence. You might get lucky and find a replacement fence on ebay but more than likely especially if you are impatient may need to upgrade to a different fence system altogether. If you have time to search for a replacement you could make a fence out of a 2x4, just clamping it to the saw top with C clamps. The first thing you need to do searching for a completely different fence system is measure the top of the saw from front to back. Most saws are 27" so if it came with the rails you could use a fence from any brand. You just may have to drill new bolt holes.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 04:58 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The flat clamp is your cheapest solution

You have almost nothing invested so far, and you would be better off to keep that trend going. The flat clamp/guide is by far the easiest, fastest and cheapest solution. However .....

The most important thing about a table saw fence is that it must be parallel to the blade when locked down. You can measure at both ends of the clamp/fence to insure this is the case, but that's time consuming and tedious to adjust it. The best/most expensive fences lock down parallel to the blade automatically ... Biesemeyer, Exacta, others...etc. A draftsman's T square is as close to an example as I can think of, and when held firm against the edge of the table it will always make parallel lines. This is the design all self-squaring fences use.

Using a fence that is not parallel to the blade will result in a wedged workpiece or a kickback, neither of which is good or safe. :frown2:
Keep this in mind when building one or shopping for a replacement!

There are numerous example on the web:
http://woodgears.ca/homemade_tablesaw/fence.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...our-table-saw/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 06-05-2017 at 05:05 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 06:00 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
Most aftermarket fences are way too big for that saw. You might find a cheap used fence that will fit if you keep your eyes peeled, or you can google some DIY suggestions and build something. That clamp that Bill posted a pic of would be among the simplest and least expensive options. You can build a simple crosscut sled for accurate crosscuts.

You got the saw at a fairly low price, considering the blade is worth about $20 if its sharp. I'll reiterate that it's not worth spending much money on.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 06:36 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
post #8 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

View johnvosh's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all for the replies. What I have gathered from all of your replies, is I basically shouldn't have bought this particular saw. And the saw blade brand new that is on goes for around $42 at the stores near me. I think what I'll do then is sell this saw without the blade and then buy a different one. I was looking at this one. I don't want to buy anything expensive right away as I'm not sure how much I'll end up using this, and I was also planning on buying this mitre saw once I have the money...
The Following User Says Thank You to johnvosh For This Useful Post:
TimeTurnsElastic (06-07-2017)
post #9 of 11 Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Depending on what part of the planet you live you might find a good old 113 series Craftsman on CL..
There's one available right now locally here for $100.. cast iron top direct drive..
For the price I can't say enough about the Align-a-rip fence from Sears parts direct.. $119..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-06-2017, 11:49 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
I had a saw like that from Ace Hardware- $99 new. Hard to justify $100 for a fence for a $40 table. I gave mine to a friend who needed a TS to build a deck.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 PM
Joel / Junior Member

View GreyhoundGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I literally just bought the plans for this one last night. I'm building a cabinet for my old Craftsman table saw and I needed a fence. This one will give LOADS of options, and I can taylor it to match the size that I need.

-Joel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode