Table Saw-- USED-- - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 10-06-2011, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

View mrhermit's Photo Album My Photos
More Used Saw's ---Need Advice Please>>>>>

Hello guys I'm new to this forum and have been reading about table saw. Been reading about buying a used table saw is better than buying a new one for $300 budget. I found this saw for about $300. What do you guys think?

Professional Ridgid Table Saw with Stand , Extension Tables, Ruled Guides, Fence, & Stock Guide.
Used Very Little.
Measures, 36 1/4"H. Table; 44 1/4"W x 27"D. Ruled Guides 61 1/2".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridgid-Table...3aa12a67c#shId

Last edited by mrhermit; 10-07-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
That's an older TS2424, making it roughly 10-12 years old. It's one of the US made Emerson saws, and looks to be in good shape, but $300 is pretty steep for a used contractor saw with steel wings IMO...especially if you're buying it sight unseen. I'd be more comfortable bidding in the $200 range.

HTH
post #3 of 15 Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 PM

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
are you in the Oxnard area or closer to L.A.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
That's an older TS2424, making it roughly 10-12 years old. It's one of the US made Emerson saws, and looks to be in good shape, but $300 is pretty steep for a used contractor saw with steel wings IMO...especially if you're buying it sight unseen. I'd be more comfortable bidding in the $200 range.

HTH

Wow WEEE 10 years old for that price. I knew someone would know more than me lol. Thanks. [email protected]
post #5 of 15 Old 10-06-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocalif View Post
are you in the Oxnard area or closer to L.A.?
I live in the south bay, near LA but to get to that place where the router is would take me upwards to 2-3 hours or so.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Found another one... how is this one?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/2628115897.html

Thanks.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

This one seems way better, what u guys think?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/2629116583.html
post #8 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 09:39 PM

These are all nice contractor saws, but all are on the high side IMHO.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one...I'm just saying they aren't gloatable bargains. I feel a little like a stick in the mud, but in the overall scheme of things these are all just nice contractor saws with basic fences, steel wings, outboard motors, no riving knives, and no warranties. If you could get any one of them down closer to $250 (maybe $300 for the Jet because of it's condition), they'd be a decent deal IMO. While the Jet looks to be in great shape, there's nothing that really sets it apart from the Ridgid and the Craftsman (which are pretty much the same saw BTW), so $425 seems very steep to me. That Jet (model 708108 IIRC...I think the 708100 that's stated in the ad is their "Workshop" series hybrid/contractor) sold for ~$500-$550 new with warranty and dealer support, and were clearanced by Lowes for as low as $275....it was their entry level Taiwanese contractor saw. Strip away the cost of warranty and dealer support, and it seems like the guy is trying to sell the saw for no depreciation. Features like solid cast iron wings and the Jet Xacta II fence would add some value, but the stock Jet Fence and steel wings don't equate to $425 used in my book....I seriously doubt he'll get that much for that particular model, but ya never know.

At $425 I'd be inclined to look at a newer Ridgid R4512 or Craftsman 21833...both made by Dayton. Both are hybrid types with the motor tucked inside the cabinet (an advantage), both have riving knives (an advantage), both have built in wheels (an advantage), both have basic fences and steel wings (same as the used saws mentioned), but both also have warranties and return privileges if there's a problem. They tend to sell in the $500-$550 range, but sales prices and coupons can get them in the $450 to $500 range.

Anyone else care to weigh in here?

Last edited by knotscott; 10-07-2011 at 09:48 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 10:22 PM

View yocalif's Photo Album My Photos
I check CL almost daily, every week I check LA area too even though I live in Sacramento. Mainly I do that so I know what stuff is worth.

I did a LA +25 mile check, and a Fillmore +25 mile check, there was very little to choose from. I would wait check again next week, don't be afraid to wait and keep searching for a couple of months. I have wanted a bandsaw and drill press for a year and sometimes I would find one that fit the bill but my money was tied up or if I had money I wouldn't find one that fit my expectation/specs.

One tip is pick brands that you can get parts if you need them.
Use Searchtempest
Set the money aside so when you do find what you want you can pull the trigger and buy.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
These are all nice contractor saws, but all are on the high side IMHO.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one...I'm just saying they aren't gloatable bargains. I feel a little like a stick in the mud, but in the overall scheme of things these are all just nice contractor saws with basic fences, steel wings, outboard motors, no riving knives, and no warranties. If you could get any one of them down closer to $250 (maybe $300 for the Jet because of it's condition), they'd be a decent deal IMO. While the Jet looks to be in great shape, there's nothing that really sets it apart from the Ridgid and the Craftsman (which are pretty much the same saw BTW), so $425 seems very steep to me. That Jet (model 708108 IIRC...I think the 708100 that's stated in the ad is their "Workshop" series hybrid/contractor) sold for ~$500-$550 new with warranty and dealer support, and were clearanced by Lowes for as low as $275....it was their entry level Taiwanese contractor saw. Strip away the cost of warranty and dealer support, and it seems like the guy is trying to sell the saw for no depreciation. Features like solid cast iron wings and the Jet Xacta II fence would add some value, but the stock Jet Fence and steel wings don't equate to $425 used in my book....I seriously doubt he'll get that much for that particular model, but ya never know.

At $425 I'd be inclined to look at a newer Ridgid R4512 or Craftsman 21833...both made by Dayton. Both are hybrid types with the motor tucked inside the cabinet (an advantage), both have riving knives (an advantage), both have built in wheels (an advantage), both have basic fences and steel wings (same as the used saws mentioned), but both also have warranties and return privileges if there's a problem. They tend to sell in the $500-$550 range, but sales prices and coupons can get them in the $450 to $500 range.

Anyone else care to weigh in here?
Wow geese thanks for the throughall explanation. Maybe I will take a look at the new one. I wouldn't say I have money to burn but I have money to spend that I was going to use to buy a Wood bed/ cabinet set which woulda cost 5500+. So the wifey and I thought I should make my own. =) Well thanks for the advice.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocalif View Post
I check CL almost daily, every week I check LA area too even though I live in Sacramento. Mainly I do that so I know what stuff is worth.

I did a LA +25 mile check, and a Fillmore +25 mile check, there was very little to choose from. I would wait check again next week, don't be afraid to wait and keep searching for a couple of months. I have wanted a bandsaw and drill press for a year and sometimes I would find one that fit the bill but my money was tied up or if I had money I wouldn't find one that fit my expectation/specs.

One tip is pick brands that you can get parts if you need them.
Use Searchtempest
Set the money aside so when you do find what you want you can pull the trigger and buy.

Ya maybe i will be a bit more patient and keep looking. Thanks
post #12 of 15 Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM

bump for the Saturday morning crowd...
post #13 of 15 Old 10-10-2011, 05:53 PM
No Longer Here

View johnray's Photo Album My Photos
saw

Spend a little more and buy a used Unisaw.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-11-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnray View Post
Spend a little more and buy a used Unisaw.
I don't think what I will use it for or my skills will be worth the money LoL. All the local CL has them close to 1000. If its lower, they look beat up.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM

View dodgeboy77's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen the Ridgid 3650 and 3660 used in the $300 range. I had a 3660 (replaced it with a Unisaw) and it was an excellent contractor's saw.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode