Table Saw Recommendition - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

View intrepid's Photo Album My Photos
Table Saw Recommendition

My retirement home and new workshop is almost ready to move into. The workshop is 9 x 18. We moved here to the Philippines after my retirement 2 years ago. Before moving moving I sold many of my tools , keeping all the hand tools and some of the small electric tools I could easily ship. I sold my Craftsman 10 113.***x ( I bought new 1976 and in great shape) before leaving thinking it was too large to ship and planned to replace it later with one of the newer portable 10 saws. I am now regretting selling because taken apart I could have gotten into one of the large 28 x 24 [email protected] box. Shipping will be about $100. So, I will be returning to the US in a few months for a visit and want to buy a saw to ship here. The two options Im considering at the moment are 1) a new ridged R4516 or ,2) find a decent craftsman 113.***x cast table. Either option I am considering to build a drop in table work station. A few things to consider is the electric here. It is 230 volt single line,(not two 110 vt). and 60 cycle. I do have a 5000 watt transformer AVR so should not be a problem. Now with the craftsman I could buy a motor here and not have to worry about the voltage at all.
So which do you suggest, or a different option? BTW, the only saws I have seen here are either very expensive commercial models or very cheap home models.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
Per https://www.ereplacementparts.com/mo...p-1567900.html. It is a special motor, but maybe a standard mounting arrangement. Do you have time to take out the motor and take it to Grainger's and see if they have a 220/110 motor to match? If not, you'll need the converter.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 08:42 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I am not sure that I remember the power specifications for the Philippines(PI). Much of the orient operates on 220 volts 50 cycle. If this is true in the PI then you want to look for a 50 cycle motor. A 60 cycle motor will run on that power, but the rps will not be standard.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducbsa View Post
Per https://www.ereplacementparts.com/mo...p-1567900.html. It is a special motor, but maybe a standard mounting arrangement. Do you have time to take out the motor and take it to Grainger's and see if they have a 220/110 motor to match? If not, you'll need the converter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
I am not sure that I remember the power specifications for the Philippines(PI). Much of the orient operates on 220 volts 50 cycle. If this is true in the PI then you want to look for a 50 cycle motor. A 60 cycle motor will run on that power, but the rps will not be standard.

George
Thanks guys, I have a transformer converter here. I'm not an electric expert but I don't think a 220vt motor from the US will work here. The 220vt US motors uses two 110vt lines whereas here the 220vt is supplied with a single line. The Philippines is on 60 cycles for sure. If I were to go with a craftsman saw I would want the belt driven model and purchase a motor here.
Thanks again..
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Thanks guys, I have a transformer converter here. I'm not an electric expert but I don't think a 220vt motor from the US will work here. The 220vt US motors uses two 110vt lines whereas here the 220vt is supplied with a single line. The Philippines is on 60 cycles for sure. If I were to go with a craftsman saw I would want the belt driven model and purchase a motor here.
Thanks again..
If the motor is rated for 230 it will run fine on the single line 230, motors are stupid they don't care how the power gets there just as long as it gets there (I sound like the guy promoting the Sunday races LOL)

Our son brought home a bunch of electric tools from Europe and I just wired them up to our 230 and they are all still running
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
intrepid (09-24-2017)
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 01:24 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
If the motor is rated for 230 it will run fine on the single line 230, motors are stupid they don't care how the power gets there just as long as it gets there (I sound like the guy promoting the Sunday races LOL)

Our son brought home a bunch of electric tools from Europe and I just wired them up to our 230 and they are all still running
I do know that there is 220 V between the two legs of 120V. A single line 220 V would have that voltage between the "hot" and neutral or ground.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2017, 03:12 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I do know that there is 220 V between the two legs of 120V. A single line 220 V would have that voltage between the "hot" and neutral or ground.
Motors are stupid they don't know where the voltage is coming from as long as the potential between the two conductors it right

Kind of like using a buck-boost transformer for a discrete 200 volt motor, but you have 240, you buck one line down to 80 volts so 120+80=200
post #8 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 05:09 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If anyone thinks wiring is complicated in America, read this discussion about the Philippines system:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/658...o-110-120V-U-S

I was shocked, not literally, seeing some of the wiring jobs when I visited there.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankC For This Useful Post:
intrepid (09-26-2017)
post #9 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
If anyone thinks wiring is complicated in America, read this discussion about the Philippines system:

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/658...o-110-120V-U-S

I was shocked, not literally, seeing some of the wiring jobs when I visited there.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I don't really have an electric issue. I was hoping for a saw recommendation. But after some more research, I am leaning toward the Rigid portable. Easier to ship and ready to go. I build a table station for it later.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Will that saw work on your power supply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
Thanks everyone for the comments. I don't really have an electric issue. I was hoping for a saw recommendation. But after some more research, I am leaning toward the Rigid portable. Easier to ship and ready to go. I build a table station for it later.
If you can make a 120 V saw work and you do want portabilty, then look into the Skilsaw worm drive. It gets good reviews and has many great features:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/s...le-saw-180385/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-26-2017 at 09:29 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
intrepid (09-26-2017)
post #11 of 11 Old 09-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
If I read that correctly you are planning on dropping it in a worktable so won't need extensions or out feed or the like with the saw. I would just find a good used 113 and ship it. I expect you could find one with a 1-1/2 hp motor, sell the motor before you leave and get all your money back. A Biesemeyer style fence might be a great idea especially since the rail system can be made to the exact specs for your home built table.

Enjoy your retirement!
The Following User Says Thank You to subroc For This Useful Post:
intrepid (09-26-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode