Table Saw for DIY - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

View axam's Photo Album My Photos
Table Saw for DIY

Hi
I have been looking at different table saw’s originally I was going to go for the cheapest bunnings [Australian Lowes?] had to offer. which is the ozito at $170 then I thought better upgrade a but to the other ozito $210

https://www.bunnings.com.au/compare?...290286,6290539,

so then I was thinking well what about the Makita at $630 or the Ryobi.

Looking through reviews it seems that the best of the lot is the Bosch GTS 10 J cheapest i can find it is $629 but thats not in WA (where I am at) i found it here for $650 tools )

After asking around I also found this table saw https://www.timbecon.com.au/sawing/t...n-worksite-saw does anybody have any thoughts on the Sherwood brand any good

From the picture's it appears to have better safety features then the Bosch would this be fair to say?

so I guess I am wondering which Table saw should I go for?

i do not have a big shed. so space is a big factor.

I am also wondering if I should spend $600 odd on a table saw (as this is a lot of money!) or save some buying the cheaper stuff. i am thinking that if I buy cheap it will cost me more with the inevitable improvements that i will need to make.

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 08:41 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know your area. Usually you can get more saw for the money if you buy used. Unless a saw is obviously been abused it should last for decades. I don't care for any of the saws you have listed. They are designed to be more portable than usable but a lot depends on the projects you do. If you are only making projects with little parts the saws may work for you but if you cut any heavy lumber they will cut very slow. I think you would be better off with at least a contractor size saw.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Great advice from Steve, also think about the saying "you get what you paid for". Consider looking for better brand names and review (on line & in magazines) the pros and cons of each saw. Service & part replacement in your area may be factors too. Checking the newspaper ads for someone selling ""woodworking tools" may be another way to find a good used TS. Be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't know your area.
do you mean where I live or area of work?
I am in Australia WA & I want the saw mainly as a DIY/hobby tool.

Quote:
They are designed to be more portable than usable.
yeah portability isn't so important, but space is as I am working in a small shed.

Quote:
contractor size saw.
Not sure exactly what a 'contractor size saw is but the list I kinda narrowed down too was really the pick of the crops in terms of budget, avilability and space.

In WA we are limited with the shops the biggest Lowes type store is Bunnings and Masters and Masters does not carry any table saws.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
Consider looking for better brand names
There really isn't very much width and scope with the quality branded table saws avilable. (for that prize range) the next one up is Dewalt but their cheapest comes in at over $800 and thats way too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
. Checking the newspaper ads
That's a good idea. but I don't think that there is really that kind of market in perth (used tools). have been scouring gumtree and that does not have any reasonably priced options.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 11:02 AM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Of the brands you're considering, both the Bosch and the Makita are old recognized brands worldwide. This is important because you can buy accessories and parts if needed.
Good luck to you.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #7 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 11:22 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I see you have also inquired in an Australian forum, good move, this forum is pretty well centered around what is available in America.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #8 of 10 Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"
i do not have a big shed. so space is a big factor."

This statement is true regardless of the saw you buy. The size of the saw is not the issue. The space to handle what you are cutting is the big issue.

George
post #9 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice and input. wanted to update everyone to say that in the end I went with the Bosch GT J 10.

Thanks again!!!
post #10 of 10 Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by axam View Post
do you mean where I live or area of work?
I am in Australia WA & I want the saw mainly as a DIY/hobby tool.

yeah portability isn't so important, but space is as I am working in a small shed.

Not sure exactly what a 'contractor size saw is but the list I kinda narrowed down too was really the pick of the crops in terms of budget, avilability and space.

In WA we are limited with the shops the biggest Lowes type store is Bunnings and Masters and Masters does not carry any table saws.
You are concerned about small space in shed. The size of the saw is not as important in the space concern as is the size of the material that you are going to be cutting. The only criteria that the actual size of the saw impacts in how/where you are going to STORE the saw.

When the saw is in use you need over twice the length of the longest piece that you are going to rip. Or, over 1 times the space of the length of material you are going to cross cut. Now this dimension varies depending upon where you will be making the cut.

Now these space concerns go away if you are going to move the saw outside to do your cutting.

George

Tags
question, tablesaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode