Table saw blade question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw blade question

Hi everyone,
I purchased a new ridge carbide saw blade at a woodworking show, and have made 3 rip cuts with it. I donít think something is quite right. Iím getting a lot of marks on the wood, but no burning. I have my fence kicked out to the right about 4 thou. at the end. What should I do to fix this problem? Here are some pictures of the wood that I colored over with a pencil to make them more visible.
Thanks for the help,
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	769B7601-AB77-48ED-87CD-99F7C668BC23.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	354514  

Name:	92953026-9AFC-4423-BDE4-6C3B6D7FCB12.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	354522  

Name:	107C15D0-AA57-45C5-9B2C-6C47F939B739.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	354530  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 09:59 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Do a set up check

First off, I have never found the need to offset the fence from parallel to the miter slots in 50 years of woodworking. Use a splitter if you have one. This helps keep the workpiece registered to the fence after the blade has made it's initial cut or kerf.

Second, set the blade and trunnions parallel to the miter slot, if it's not already so. This is an advanced operation for someone who has never done it, but certainly doable. Instructions are in the manual, online and on You Tube. Contractor type saws have trunnions bolted to the bottom of the table. Cabinet type saws have the trunnions bolted to the cabinet. Depending on which type of saw, you will unloosen 3 of the 4 bolts and shift the trunnions, recheck for parallel, tighten and then recheck again.

Finally, remount the blade cleaning off all mating surfaces on the arbor, washers and blade itself. If the saw marks are coming from the rear of the blade, most likely the fence offset is the issue.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-08-2018 at 10:02 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 AM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Have you used the table saw with other blades to see if it is a problem with the saw or the blade?

If it does the same thing with other blades, then there is a arbor or bearing problem with the saw. If the saw works well with other blades, then your new blade may be slightly bent/out of alignment.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Ridge Carbide is a very good blade but don't rule out it being defective.

I also have my fence kicked out about .004.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

View nblumert's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the help guys, I havenít had a chance to check another blade to see if it does the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode