Table saw blade alignment - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

View iceblue's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw blade alignment

I have a Delta Contractors saw Model # 36-477 that I bought in 2000. It has been an excellent tool and I've made many fine cabinets and woodworking projects with it.
After moving recently I noticed my blade alignment (Parallelism) was out a little more than acceptable. The blade I'm using is within tolerances to use as a base for alignment and the arbor is free of nicks and debris.
To bring everything back into alignment I had to loosen and adjust both the front and rear trunnions. I had it dialed in very very close and was pretty happy with myself until I went to put the blade table insert back in. The alignment is now causing the blade to scrape the right side of the insert when facing the front of the saw. I have no more room on the front trunnion to pull it any further to the left.
O.K. to get over my frustration I took a deep breath and joined your Forum. I hope I have given you enough info so I may ask these questions.
Do I except the good alignment and file the inside of the insert so the blade doesn't hit it or is their something more I can do to bring the unit back into it's original alignment.
I am not without dial and caliper skills but neither do I like to jump into something blind.
Any personnel experience or a lead to a website would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
I have a Delta Contractors saw Model # 36-477 that I bought in 2000. It has been an excellent tool and I've made many fine cabinets and woodworking projects with it.
After moving recently I noticed my blade alignment (Parallelism) was out a little more than acceptable. The blade I'm using is within tolerances to use as a base for alignment and the arbor is free of nicks and debris.
To bring everything back into alignment I had to loosen and adjust both the front and rear trunnions. I had it dialed in very very close and was pretty happy with myself until I went to put the blade table insert back in. The alignment is now causing the blade to scrape the right side of the insert when facing the front of the saw. I have no more room on the front trunnion to pull it any further to the left.
O.K. to get over my frustration I took a deep breath and joined your Forum. I hope I have given you enough info so I may ask these questions.
Do I except the good alignment and file the inside of the insert so the blade doesn't hit it or is their something more I can do to bring the unit back into it's original alignment.
I am not without dial and caliper skills but neither do I like to jump into something blind.
Any personnel experience or a lead to a website would be appreciated.
iceblue...my delta is pretty similar to yours, I've got a -441B. I had the same problem as you, in that after alignment the blade was scuffing the insert. Simple solution...make your own inserts(google ZCI). You'll be wanting zero clearance inserts anyway...less chipout, and safer too.

Mick

Life's too short to _________(fill in the blank)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 AM

View 6SpeedSD's Photo Album My Photos
I hate to hijack the thread, but what if you have this same problem with alignment, but insert clearance isn't an issue? I have mt trunions adjusted as far as possible, but I still have about a 1/16th difference between entry and exit sides of blade. Is 1/16 really enough to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 01:30 AM

View 6SpeedSD's Photo Album My Photos
Not the same saw as you guys though... If that matters
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickit View Post
iceblue...my delta is pretty similar to yours, I've got a -441B. I had the same problem as you, in that after alignment the blade was scuffing the insert. Simple solution...make your own inserts(google ZCI). You'll be wanting zero clearance inserts anyway...less chipout, and safer too.
I agree. Make a template from the existing one and make several. You'll always need them. When running the blade through the first time, crank the blade all the way down. Move the fence over on top of the insert, but clear from where the blade will be coming through.

Start the saw, and slowly crank the blade upward.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

View iceblue's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys. Sometimes the simplest solutions are best. Nice piece of oak you got pictured there Cabinetman and thanks for the welcome.
I've made inserts for some of my other attachments and it looks like that's the way I'm going to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode