Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

View gedereco's Photo Album My Photos
Wink Table Saw

hi everyone, does anyone know if it is possible to disconnect a motor brake on a saw or immobilise it ...????:icon_wink:

It's a small world we live in, but you wouldn't want to paint it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 05:38 PM

View pruane's Photo Album My Photos
you would want to do that why?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Usually the brake is just a short across the motor coil that causes it's own reversed magnetic field, causing the motor to slow abruptly. If you wanted to disable the brake you could disconnect the wire from the switch. But again, why????

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

Wink

if i could get away without disconnecting it i would its just that i have dado cutting set for this saw which it recommends that they are not used on machines with motor brakes. which i suppose is to do with the weight or torque on the brake when it slows, In the uk most machines are fitted with them. the other way is if it needs power to work i could put another switch on the saw so it could slow down on its own before applying the brake. whats your thoughts on this....

post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2006, 05:58 AM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
Ahhhh...now it is clear. Everytime you use a dado head, afrer every stop, just check that it didn't come loose....It is something I do anyway.....

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
yeah joasis is right. The spiral adjustment types tend to get loose after continued brakeing, and the stacked heads can do the same and the chippers can make contact with the cutters etc.
i'd say forget about it unless it is a mechanical brake. If it is an electrnoic brake don't go messin with the guts of the motor unless you really know what you are doing.

The other worry is that on an electronic braking system the heavier load of the dados will burn out the braking feedback - which is more apt to happen with stacked dados than with spiral types since the stacked are much heavier. of course the spiral types aren't as good as the stacked IMHO.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Thanks for the help everyone. i tried knocking power of at wall and it still brakes which makes me think it's mechanical . i only paid £80.00 for the saw so if motor goes i`ll get another . does anyone know any small table saws that are belt driven as most the ones i've come across are direct drive . :icon_wink:

post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM

View troubleseeker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedereco View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. i tried knocking power of at wall and it still brakes which makes me think it's mechanical . i only paid £80.00 for the saw so if motor goes i`ll get another . does anyone know any small table saws that are belt driven as most the ones i've come across are direct drive . :icon_wink:
If you are doing that much dado work with an $80 table saw, don't waste time fooling with the brake, the motor will be going out before you can figure how to do it. I don't know of any portable table saws that are belt driven currently.

troubleseeker
renovation carp; NO,LA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode