Table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
View Poll Results: WHICH TABLESAW DO YOU THINK IS BEST?
Grizzly 7 13.46%
Powermatic 13 25.00%
Jet 3 5.77%
Delta 10 19.23%
Other 18 34.62%
Pizza Hut 734 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 43 Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
htpp://www.jakeschs.com

View JAKESCHS.COM's Photo Album My Photos
Post Table saw

I am just wandering what brand of shop table saw do other people use and what are the pros and cons.
I personally use jet and I like it but I am interested in Grizzly.
If you choose Other please let us know which one and why.

www.jakeschs.com

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 09-23-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Trying to get more info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I voted Powermatic "best"

I have a 12" Powermatic 68 with a 5 HP motor. It's an awesome saw. However I have lately bought 2 shapers, a 8" jointer, a 20" planer and a 19" bandsaw all Grizzly and I'm very satisfied with the quality and especially the price. Best bang for the buck in my opinion and I would not hesitate to buy a Grizzly table saw. if I needed one. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Table saw

Every big shop tool I ever owned was Jet. I always liked it and thought that it was the best but then Iíve heard a lot of good stuff about Grizzly.
My friend has a Grizzly table saw and I like how his has additional blade for fine cutting of Melamine so that it wouldnít chip it.

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 10-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM
where's my table saw?

Like this

This is an awesome saw for under $2000.00 if I need a new one this would be it!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-S...-Scoring/G0700

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Of the saws you list, I am most interested in a Grizzly, specifically the G0691. Love that saw!

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #6 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 12:56 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
For the sake of useful information, I think this poll should pertain to a specific type of saw, as opposed to brand name. PM makes a couple of nice cabinet saws (ie: PM66, PM2000) that are arguably a step up from a basic Grizzly cabinet saw (ie: G1023RL), but that same Grizzly saw is a more substantial saw than the PM64a contractor saw.

Narrowing down a price range would be useful too. I'd also add General and Saw Stop models to any comparison.
post #7 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 09:36 PM

View j stuart's Photo Album My Photos
I am brand new to wood working and I wanted something I could feel comfortable using. The table saw was a scary tool. Without hesitation I bought a Saw Stop contractor saw. Funny thing is that my buddies who suggested I could make due with a cheaper smaller saw now like to use my big ole SS to rip plywood. Gotta love it.
post #8 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 10:45 PM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
powermatic....

If you put a PM 66 or a PM 2000 next to ANY other 10" table saw on the market you will clearly see which one is better. To me its a no brainer. The new delta uni would be a close second followed by the Sawstop. Of course, just my opinion.

jraks
post #9 of 43 Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Knotscott is correct. This poll really cannot serve any useful purpose unless someone also posts and elaborates per specific model. It's like asking:

Which is the best internal combustion engine?
  • Mack
  • Chevrolet
  • Ford
  • Mercedes
  • Yanmar
  • Kubota
  • Mopar
  • Pizza Hut

Which engine? Which upgrade? What modifications? What year? How many horses? What is the application? How can a guy can even cast a vote in a poll like this is a mystery to me. What table saw did you vote on, and compared to what?

post #10 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Table saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
This is an awesome saw for under $2000.00 if I need a new one this would be it!
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-S...-Scoring/G0700
Thatís the table saw I want.

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 10-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.
post #11 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 11:05 AM
where's my table saw?

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKESCHS.COM View Post
That’s the table saw I want.
www.grizzly.com and just "add to basket" and wait for it to show up!
bill

post #12 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Table saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Knotscott is correct. This poll really cannot serve any useful purpose unless someone also posts and elaborates per specific model. It's like asking:

Which is the best internal combustion engine?
  • Mack
  • Chevrolet
  • Ford
  • Mercedes
  • Yanmar
  • Kubota
  • Mopar
  • Pizza Hut
Which engine? Which upgrade? What modifications? What year? How many horses? What is the application? How can a guy can even cast a vote in a poll like this is a mystery to me. What table saw did you vote on, and compared to what?

That's what the OTHER option stands for and that's also why I asked this question in my post listed below the Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKESCHS.COM View Post
I am just wandering what brand of shop table saw do other people use and what are the pros and cons.
I personally use jet and I like it but I am interested in Grizzly.
If you choose Other please let us know which one and why.

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 10-09-2010 at 05:14 PM.
post #13 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Table saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
For the sake of useful information, I think this poll should pertain to a specific type of saw, as opposed to brand name. PM makes a couple of nice cabinet saws (ie: PM66, PM2000) that are arguably a step up from a basic Grizzly cabinet saw (ie: G1023RL), but that same Grizzly saw is a more substantial saw than the PM64a contractor saw.

Narrowing down a price range would be useful too. I'd also add General and Saw Stop models to any comparison.
Thanks for that info on Saw Stop.
I've never seen it nor knew about that brand, it looks really nice.
Here is link to it http://www.sawstop.com/
As for the price - I mint regular shop saws anywhere from $1000 to $5000 price range.

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 10-09-2010 at 05:14 PM.
post #14 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
www.grizzly.com and just "add to basket" and wait for it to show up!
bill
That sounds really good.
I just need to go visit my Money Tree first.
post #15 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 12:01 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
My bad, I stand corrected. I should've recognized that "other" can also be selected as "none of the above". I just wanted to point out that the whole "brand" argument has no merit whatsoever when discussing consumable goods, and most power tools do fall into that category.

I think unless you are talking Bentley, Rolls Royce, and perhaps Vacheron Constantin you just can't even use "best" in the same sentence with any single brand name. Even amongst watch enthusiasts you won't get the same answer when asking "What watch is the best?". Most Americans (Europeans know better) will answer "Rolex!" which is actually a very poor quality watch compared to the handful of time piece manufacturers that put out precision masterpieces.

I think the only woodworking tool company that even comes close to being brand dominant as far as quality would be Festool, but you won't get widespread agreement even there. And of course they don't even make a table saw so they couldn't be included in this poll. Festoolers please don't inject the "They make something better than a table saw!" that is also not true. Try putting a dado blade on your TS75, just for starters.

I'm not trying to nitpick your poll, but when you add to it the statement . . .

"I personally use jet and I like it but I am interested in Grizzly."

. . . it's the same as saying . . .

"I personally vote Republican and I like them but I am interested in voting Democrat."

Okay that's not exactly fair because most tools will do what you expect them to and perform close to what you paid for them to do, but you get my point. And okay they are also equally poor quality brands, but the whole foundation of the poll is so flawed from the get-go there's simply no way to select any answer except "other(none of the above)" unless you throw logic completely out the window and answer based solely on "brand loyalty" which is nothing more than 100% emotion. Not 99% but 100%. Emotion has never been a reliable companion when selecting a quality anything. Even when selecting a wife you have got to use a fair amount of logic. Actually this is when logic is of the utmost import! But again I digress. You can get lucky sometimes when you select a tool by brand only, but luck shouldn't play a part in this process either.

I'm not trying to derail your thread (and don't think I am) but this "brand loyalty" concept has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. Doesn't mean everyone should adopt my philosophy and it doesn't mean I am right. Of course everyone should, and I am, but hey the whole world can't be perfect like me.

To answer your question I have to ask it a different way:

Q: What, in your opinion, is the best overall medium duty 10" table saw ever made?

A: There are probably 100 models tied for this honor, some built in 2010 some built in 1910 and anywhere in between.

Well that's *my* answer and I'm sticking to it. Good question BTW.

post #16 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
I think Griz would be at the top of my list due to price to feature ratio, but I'm pretty sure the wife will want to see the SawStop come in to the shop whenever I get a new saw (which will be a while).
She likes the "flesh detecting technology" idea. I've never heard a bad thing about their saws, so I don't have much of an argument for her.

That is a pretty nice saw you linked to Woodnthings - an you tell me what exactly is the benefit of a sliding saw Vs a normal one? I've seen those super big sliding saws on the Griz site and just sort of assumed it was for folks doing a lot of large panel cutting.
post #17 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
where's my table saw?

Yup

If you've seen my twin engine 84" span table saw set up,(not allowed to post a photo here any longer thanks Al Wood) you'll see what I've come up with on the cheap.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...kes-call-them/

The sliding table saws do require a large footprint and large shops have the space. However, I think more and more panels are being cut by CNC routers these days, the tool moves, not the panel and accuracy is exceptional and waste is minimized by programing.
The large panel saw are being computerized as well.
So the idea of hefting a large panel and cross cutting it is on the wane. But would I like one, you betcha! The more you get into woodworking you find that there is no one saw that does everything best. The sliding table saw is a great addition to any shop if....money and space are not an issue. For the rest of us I've found that table saws rip best, radial saws cross cut best, mitersaws miter best, bandsaws cut curves and resaw best, etc. That's not to say they don't do otherthings just not "best".
All this is JMO and subject to debate and severe fines. bill
BTW If I were young, starting out and wanted a great saw, and wanted to keep all my fingers, I'd pony up for a 5HP Saw Stop. I've only heard great things about the performance and the design, not to mention the safety aspect. You can always add an aftermarket sliding table if that's really what you want. Me, I'd go for a vertical panel saw or pony up for the CNC.....

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
post #18 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM

View Nate1778's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer the Sawstop 3hp professional series, but its the one I use so I am kinda partial. I had a Jet of the same size and it was a nice saw as well.
post #19 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Table saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
I'm not trying to nitpick your poll, but when you add to it the statement . . .

"I personally use jet and I like it but I am interested in Grizzly."

. . . it's the same as saying . . .

"I personally vote Republican and I like them but I am interested in voting Democrat."
I was just trying to make this Poll simple and get some Idea about what are others using and why.
I am planning on buying other table saw and even though I like Jet brand it doesnít mean that they make the best 10Ē shop table saw. (Which I didnít mention 10Ē in my Poll)
And as a result of this poll I already see that Jet is not the most popular one here.
If you think I needed to be more specific you can change the poll question since you already added your Pizza Hut question there - which you are the only one to vote for instead of getting in some political statements such as:
Trust me I know where I stand on this one.
I donít need more Bureaucracy which some may like.
That is what it seems like when you try to make simple Poll and it comes back at you with a bunch of rules and regulations and on the top of it someone actually changes it without even letting you know.
You can completely erase this Poll if you want Ė you have the power here to do that as a Mod.
That may be the only good Change here.
Other than that Good Forum Site.

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 10-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.
post #20 of 43 Old 09-24-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Table saw

Quote:
If you've seen my twin engine 84" span table saw set up,(not allowed to post a photo here any longer thanks Al Wood) you'll see what I've come up with on the cheap.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/membe...kes-call-them/

The sliding table saws do require a large footprint and large shops have the space. However, I think more and more panels are being cut by CNC routers these days, the tool moves, not the panel and accuracy is exceptional and waste is minimized by programing.
The large panel saw are being computerized as well.
So the idea of hefting a large panel and cross cutting it is on the wane. But would I like one, you betcha! The more you get into woodworking you find that there is no one saw that does everything best. The sliding table saw is a great addition to any shop if....money and space are not an issue. For the rest of us I've found that table saws rip best, radial saws cross cut best, mitersaws miter best, bandsaws cut curves and resaw best, etc. That's not to say they don't do otherthings just not "best".
All this is JMO and subject to debate and severe fines. bill
BTW If I were young, starting out and wanted a great saw, and wanted to keep all my fingers, I'd pony up for a 5HP Saw Stop. I've only heard great things about the performance and the design, not to mention the safety aspect. You can always add an aftermarket sliding table if that's really what you want. Me, I'd go for a vertical panel saw or pony up for the CNC.....
Nice set up - I like the idea of conecting two saws.

Last edited by JAKESCHS.COM; 10-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Tags
delta, dewalt, grizzly, jet, powermatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode