Table rotation (bevel) lock on Craftsman drill press - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

View timg11's Photo Album My Photos
Table rotation (bevel) lock on Craftsman drill press

I have the Craftsman 15" drill press (model 137.229250). I have never used this feature before, but I recently wanted to turn the table 90 degrees to drill into the end of a board. The manual shows the bevel locking bolt and the bevel locking pin under the table. The manual says to "tighten the nut on the locking pin clockwise to release it from the table support". I used a socket wrench to tighten it several turns. When loosening the larger bevel locking bolt, the table becomes free enough to wiggle around, but it will still not rotate. I tried tightening the locking nut some more, but it seems to turn without moving. I kept tightening it for several minutes, but it never unlocked, and never seemed to move or get tighter or looser. It is too stiff to turn with my fingers, but easily turns when using a socket set with enough resistance to rachet on the back stroke. I tried pulling the locking bolt with pliers to see if it would disengage, but it did not help.

Can anyone explain how the locking bolt is supposed to work, and what to do if it seems to fail to disengage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 03:28 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
What about the set screw mentioned in the manual?

"1. To use the table in a bevel (tilted) position, turn the locking screw (2) with the hex key counterclockwise to release it from the table support.
2. Loosen the large hex head bevel locking bolt (3)"

I would expect the large hex head bolt is normal thread so anti-clockwise to loosen.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-30-2018, 05:30 PM

View PTC01's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
What about the set screw mentioned in the manual?

"1. To use the table in a bevel (tilted) position, turn the locking screw (2) with the hex key counterclockwise to release it from the table support.
2. Loosen the large hex head bevel locking bolt (3)"

I would expect the large hex head bolt is normal thread so anti-clockwise to loosen.
On My drill press there is no (2) hex head locking set screw. There is a bolt inserted into the polished facing against which the bevel turns. It protrudes through the table support housing and is secured with a nut, There is no way the table will bevel with this configuration. It came from the factory this way. Has anyone encountered this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-30-2018, 06:07 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I might have the same drill press

I have removed the table from mine to save weight when adjusting the height. There is a center pivot bolt which can be removed. There is a pin, no threads, that located the table at different angles. It just pulls out. Turn it to free it up and then pull it out. If you can, post a photo or two of what you have.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Tags
drill press bevel table

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode