steel city 3590, have they gone under? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-20-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
steel city 3590, have they gone under?

Hey guys, im considering upgrading from my current TS3650 ridgid to either a steel city 3590, or the o715p. I saw somewhere that steel city has gone out of business does anyone know if this is true?

Right now i can get a 3590 cast iron top shipped for 10 dollars under the price of the 0715p, but the thought of them going out of business does concern me, but also i am wary after hearing that the 0715P had the same blade shift as the R4512.

My reasons for wanting to upgrade are mainly i prefer the T fence's, the space savings of an inboard motor, and well a shiney new tool..i really like the concept the 3590 also has the mobile base built in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure which model the Steel City 3590 is, but the same manufacturer (Orion, IIRC) for Steel City makes/has made several of the Craftsman table saws, so there is a lot of interchangeability of parts between the two brands. Sears is pretty good about providing parts support for their tools. I think there's also overlap parts-wise with several Ridgid saws.

You might browse through ereplacementparts.com and see whether parts on any of the C'man saws are similar to the 3590. Sears' manufacturer code for these saws is 351. FWIW, last year I bought a C'man 351.22116 hybrid saw, and couldn't be happier with my choice.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

View troyd1976's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to troyd1976
JDownhowe...the 3590 i believe is the twin of the 22116, identical accept the steel city version you can get with the cast iron top or granite, and it has a built in mobile base, but doesnt appear to have the built in out feed setup the 22116 has.

upon some more reading today it sounds as if general has bought out in some fasion steel city and its rumored that they are whom you call for parts and that they will honor the 5 year warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-21-2015, 01:51 AM

View jdonhowe's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like good news for parts. Given the choice of built in out feed or mobile base, no contest- the mobile base. As I said, I'm extremely pleased with my 22116- it's certainly solidly built and smooth operating. I have no first hand experience with either the R4512 or G0715P, but in the limited use I've had so far with bevel cuts, I haven't noticed (or heard about) any blade shift with the Steel City/C'mans.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM

View Karamba's Photo Album My Photos
Most blade shift videos I've seen about Ridgid/Craftsman/Grizzly appeared to be user errors.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamba View Post
Most blade shift videos I've seen about Ridgid/Craftsman/Grizzly appeared to be user errors.
This doesn't mean the problem didn't exist. I had to have new trunnions put in my ridgid for exactly this problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode