Starting to build my arsenal: Table Saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 03-27-2016, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

View smerk's Photo Album My Photos
Starting to build my arsenal: Table Saw

I'm just starting to look at the prospect of purchasing some used tools (Hoping to hit some estate sales come summer) any thoughts on this saw? My budget really isn't more than 125 at this point. I remember Norm from New Yankee saying he liked the saws that had separate motors. I also like that it had extra blades. Any help is appreciated. Here's the description from craigslist:
10" Craftsman Table Saw
Heavy Cast Iron Base with Stand
Good Condition
Many Extra Blades including Dado Blades
Name:  00M0M_eIwrPtnIt1s_600x450.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  16.4 KB
Name:  00s0s_1Z86cthmObV_600x450.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  24.7 KB
Name:  00909_doqU7HKgZKg_600x450.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  20.1 KB

Thanks again,
Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-27-2016, 09:47 PM

View maple man's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by smerk View Post
I'm just starting to look at the prospect of purchasing some used tools (Hoping to hit some estate sales come summer) any thoughts on this saw? My budget really isn't more than 125 at this point. I remember Norm from New Yankee saying he liked the saws that had separate motors. I also like that it had extra blades. Any help is appreciated. Here's the description from craigslist:
10" Craftsman Table Saw
Heavy Cast Iron Base with Stand
Good Condition
Many Extra Blades including Dado Blades
[iurl="http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=226425&d=1459122787"][/iurl]
[iurl="http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=226433&d=1459122787"][/iurl]
[iurl="http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=226441&d=1459122787"][/iurl]

Thanks again,
Stephen
I have the same table saw and absolutely love it I did however do a full restoration on it I will include before and after picture in case they are of any help to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1459125894868.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	226465  

Last edited by maple man; 03-27-2016 at 10:10 PM.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-27-2016, 09:57 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I think the saw pictured fits your budget. It looks complete and has a strong stand. A dado blade is a nice extra to throw in the deal. I guess this saw to be late '50's to early '60's. Looks a little bit like an old washing machine, but hey, if it works...

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-27-2016, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple man View Post
I have the same table saw and absolutely love it I did however do a full restoration on it I will include before and after picture in case they are of any help to
I'd love to see the pics of the restoration! Only one pic came through.
post #5 of 37 Old 03-27-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
I think the saw pictured fits your budget. It looks complete and has a strong stand. A dado blade is a nice extra to throw in the deal. I guess this saw to be late '50's to early '60's. Looks a little bit like an old washing machine, but hey, if it works...
The question is it a decent washing machine Honestly, I'm just starting so if you guys think this is a machine that will help rather than hinder (understanding you get what you pay for) then I'm more inclined to try it.
post #6 of 37 Old 03-28-2016, 04:23 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
That looks like it was probably made by King-Seeley.

Anyway, I'd be cautious since it looks like it is partially disassembled - you need to determine if everything is there. I'm suspicious about the fence system - I don't see a back rail for the fence, and in the photo the fence is on backwards (it might be that it doesn't use a back rail, but you should check). I'm not sure what the whole fence system is supposed to look like on that exact model, so do your homework.

I also don't see any blade guard or splitter, and maybe those older models never came with one.

You might consider waiting and finding a later one (made by Emerson, model 113.Xs), which would have come with a guard and splitter. Personally, I use them when I can and think they are worthwhile, especially for a beginner.
post #7 of 37 Old 03-28-2016, 05:54 PM

View Lenny Howard's Photo Album My Photos
You could probably find an old (just not that old) Craftsman 113 by watching craigslist for $200 ... or a used Delta contractors saw for $300. IMO, that would be a better way to go. That one, since it fits your budget, would be better than most of the job site saws they sell today though.
post #8 of 37 Old 03-28-2016, 06:18 PM

View Chamfer's Photo Album My Photos
The thing about the CM 100.X models is that they generally have small tops and small motors. In terms of quality, it's old cast iron all metal so yes it's built well but still a small saw.

I agree with others if you could up your budget just a little you could get a 113.X which would give you a larger table and more powerful motor, also more than likely some safety attachments that probably weren't even offered on a saw of that vintage. My local CL has various 113's regularly from between $100-250.
Lenny Howard likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I have some time so I will hold off. Anyone know a resource I can use to tell what models they are in the pictures (100 vs. 113)? A lot of them don't have model numbers

Last edited by smerk; 03-28-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: wording
post #10 of 37 Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Always keep in mind when buying used WW machinery, there's the asking price and the sales (taking) price. Some people want the machinery out of their garage. You are there to help them.
If you are uncertain on a piece, tell the seller you're uncomfortable with paying that price, and feel you can only pay $ X. You have nothing to lose in negotiating a better price.
The money you save will help restore the machine or buy more WW tools for your shop.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #11 of 37 Old 03-28-2016, 10:44 PM

View Lenny Howard's Photo Album My Photos
Some of the images in this link might help you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=craf...ble+saw+images
post #12 of 37 Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM

View toolguy1000's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I have some time so I will hold off. Anyone know a resource I can use to tell what models they are in the pictures (100 vs. 113)? A lot of them don't have model numbers
http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsma...facturers.aspx

the above should be helpful. the 113s were made in the USA by Emerson Electric for sears and Ridgid. it's the basis for ridgid's TS3612 which, IMHO, was one of the best 10" CI contractor saws ever sold. i have both a c-man 113 and a ridgid TS2412. they are almost clones of each other and are really quite simple to repair and operate and are really reliable. here's a video of my c-man with a t-2 fence on it to show how bibration free these saws can be. letting go of the work piece while the saw was operating was not a terribly smart thing to do, but it demonstrates how well aligned the saw can be adjusted. note the nickel to the right of the fence on edge during the bevel rip:

there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.
post #13 of 37 Old 03-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
It looks to me like that particular saw is a 113.27520.

BTW, it is my favorite looking saw body out of the classic 113.*** saws. I have one I am planning on restoring. I even have an original blade guard.

Whether an older saw is right for you is up to you.

Clearly, if you have time and patience you can find a 1.5 hp motor contractor saw with an updated fence, maybe even a align-a-rip for a $100.00 or less. Maybe even haul it away price. Last year a guy had a 1hp craftsman with a delta T-square for $100.00, so real good deals can be found. That fence and rails is on my saw now. If you are in a hurry, find the best you can find at the most reasonable price with a good fence. I expect a saw with an align-a-rip, T-Square, Beisemeyer or even a Unifence would be a great place to start.

If you are in a bit of a hurry, and you are purchasing a used saw on Craigslist, it is all about availability, price and how far you are willing to drive. With a saw, maybe a good deal on a good saw is worth a few hours round trip.

Anyway, good luck with your decision making process.
post #14 of 37 Old 03-29-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Great resources. I will take some time to look over them. I am not in a rush. Most garage, estate, and auction sales haven't started yet so I will keep my eyes open. Also, are 113.x saws direct drive or belt driven? Just to be sure, a belt driven is a separate motor connected by a belt whereas the direct drives the motor is connected directly to the arbor like a hand circular saw or chop saw correct?
post #15 of 37 Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolguy1000 View Post
http://vintagemachinery.org/craftsma...facturers.aspx

the above should be helpful. the 113s were made in the USA by Emerson Electric for sears and Ridgid. it's the basis for ridgid's TS3612 which, IMHO, was one of the best 10" CI contractor saws ever sold. i have both a c-man 113 and a ridgid TS2412. they are almost clones of each other and are really quite simple to repair and operate and are really reliable. here's a video of my c-man with a t-2 fence on it to show how bibration free these saws can be. letting go of the work piece while the saw was operating was not a terribly smart thing to do, but it demonstrates how well aligned the saw can be adjusted. note the nickel to the right of the fence on edge during the bevel rip:

100_0812.mov - YouTube
That's amazing stability. Loved the nickel aspect. Was that a 113?
post #16 of 37 Old 03-29-2016, 09:11 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Also, are 113.x saws direct drive or belt driven? Just to be sure, a belt driven is a separate motor connected by a belt whereas the direct drives the motor is connected directly to the arbor like a hand circular saw or chop saw correct?

You definitely want a belt drive. Those 113 C-mans also came in a shaft/direct drive, but rumor has it that the shaft cables are no longer available.

Once you see a few of them you'll begin to recognize what to look for. Most of the belt drives say 'belt drive' right on the front label, and the others say 'direct drive' or something similar. The tilt adjust handle is always on the right side for the belt drive models.
The Following User Says Thank You to pweller For This Useful Post:
smerk (03-29-2016)
post #17 of 37 Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I had the same saw back in 1980. No problems with it. Sold it to my bil, and he still has it. Great saw. fair fence.
Even with the 3/4 hp motor it was decent.
Around here, one in that shape might sell for $50. Cleaned up and set up, maybe $100. $150 tops.
With a good fence, it would be a ice saw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate For This Useful Post:
smerk (04-05-2016)
post #18 of 37 Old 04-05-2016, 11:01 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Always keep a few 2x4'x and 4x4's in the car. You definitely want to try the saw out before you buy it. There could be missing parts.

Unfortunately, your budget for a used tablesaw is kind of low. It should be around $400. Sometimes you can find a good used Delta Contractors saw with a good 52" fence. That is what you should hold out for.
For most woodworkers, the table saw is the hub of the shop. It will probably be the single most important power tool you will own. If it wont cut right, you're dead in the water before you even start a project.
mat 60 likes this.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony B For This Useful Post:
smerk (04-05-2016)
post #19 of 37 Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Powermatic price?

Thanks Everyone!

What kind of value would you put on a saw like this? I would have to drive 2 hours (each way) Is this a $100 or $1000 saw? Thanks! Also, they said that the top is steel? I thought most tops were cast iron
Name:  00K0K_cylt9KR97kW_600x450.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  00s0s_lP3yabTVdGL_600x450.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  00u0u_cIaUOTjd57P_600x450.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  00y0y_5jKYADBQ0Vi_600x450.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  00303_hLCsSX2e507_600x450.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  65.8 KB

Last edited by smerk; 04-05-2016 at 12:28 PM. Reason: more info
post #20 of 37 Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

1022pro

There's also this one: It's a grizzly 1022pro
Name:  00707_MakXorohyr_600x450.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  46.8 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode