Sprunger NDP 15 Drill Press - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

View jlabos's Photo Album My Photos
Sprunger NDP 15 Drill Press

Anyone have any experience with Sprunger machinery? There is a floor drill press for sale near me for $75. It has been on Craigslist for a month and the seller still has it. The price seems reasonable for an early 70's drill press. I'm not sure if it hasn't sold because of the brand or if the market for a floor drill press is just slow in the area. I think I will offer $50 and see where it goes. Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprunger.jpg
Views:	1671
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	99097  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I think the biggest draw back is the table must be raised and lowered by hand. No crank.

If you look at it. Just make sure the spindle is tight. No wobble when you pull it back and forth.

Al

post #3 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Info about Sprunger here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=786

About 5 years ago I got a list of parts from them for one of their table saws, they still had a pretty good selection in stock for a saw that was quite old.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

View jlabos's Photo Album My Photos
UPDATE: I purchased the drill press
I managed to break the drill press down over the past week and cleaned a lot of the parts. The table, base and pole are the only parts left with rust on them. While cleaning it up I found two layers of paint. One was a grayish blue color and underneath that was a yellow gold color.
The bearings in the quill and pulley are spin smooth and there is no play so I will keep them. I opened the motor and blew out the dust and there are two oil ports with spring door covers for the sleeve bearings. When I put it back together and oiled it up the motor was very quiet. I wire brushed the arms, quill stop and some hardware and they came out real nice. Im looking into paint color options. I thought about keeping it original but Im just not feeling that yellow color. Im also trying to decide if I want to brush paint or use spray cans or even use a HVLP gun and compressor. Any advice would be great.
Attached Images

post #5 of 5 Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 PM

View jbwhitford's Photo Album My Photos
I redid my drill press awhile back. I removed the paint and found that under the odd bluefish green color was black. At the time I had most of a quart of hunter green left so that's what I used. I spray primed and brush painted it the green. I just required it too A few before and after pictures. Anyways I digress, paint it whatever color you please. And if you have a nice tree outside with some low branches and some copper wire I would hang it up and spray paint it. It dries quicker/ not as messy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1718451055.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	99663  

Name:	image-240705563.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	99664  

Name:	image-2429354810.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	99665  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode