Spiral Mortise Router Bit Question (or three) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

View Wood4Brains's Photo Album My Photos
Spiral Mortise Router Bit Question (or three)

Hi there, Everyone:

Are all the decent spiral mortise router bits in the $60 and above range? Are there no spiral mortise bits in the $20 and UNDER range?

(And why are masonry bits so much cheaper than wood bits?)

Also, if you are going to cut, for example, a 3/8th inch mortise, can you use a smaller bit (1/4 inch, for example) and just make two passes? (One on each side of the mortise.)

Or do you need a 3/8 inch spiral bit for a 3/8 inch mortise?

Thanks in advance.

I'm An Expert In Ugly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-15-2012, 10:50 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood4Brains View Post
Hi there, Everyone:

Are all the decent spiral mortise router bits in the $60 and above range? Are there no spiral mortise bits in the $20 and UNDER range?

(And why are masonry bits so much cheaper than wood bits?)

Also, if you are going to cut, for example, a 3/8th inch mortise, can you use a smaller bit (1/4 inch, for example) and just make two passes? (One on each side of the mortise.)

Or do you need a 3/8 inch spiral bit for a 3/8 inch mortise?

Thanks in advance.
Getting deals is getting tougher these days. Best I could find tonite was MLCS for $40 (1/2" spiral upcut). I used to be able to get those in the Bosch flavor from Cripe distributing for under $20 but they aren't even listing spiral bits now.
Keep an eye on this eBay vendor
http://stores.ebay.com/LMT-Onsrud-Router-Bits-and-Blades?_rdc=1

He works at Onsrud and they clear out some overstock here. When he first started they were listing 1/2" spiral upcuts for $12.50 and free shipping. I got 3 of those. Lately they have been listing around $20. My last bit from them cost $29.50 for 1/2" compression spiral with a 1.75" cutting length. Right now his eBay site is pretty barren but they generally have been restocking it on Tuesdays. Kind of pot luck but good deals.

I have no idea why masonry bits are cheap.

Yes, you can use smaller bits for mortises. The main problem will likely be getting an adequate cutting length. Usually cutting length decreases with the cutting diameter.
Good Luck.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Last edited by jschaben; 09-15-2012 at 10:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Wood4Brains (09-16-2012)
post #3 of 9 Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, John.

I'm An Expert In Ugly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-16-2012, 09:00 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

You can certainly use a smaller diameter router bit and make more than 1 pass, as long as the bit if deep enough.

You asked about spiral bits, but for cutting a mortise you can use many straight sided bits.

The spiral cutters are worth it for smooth edges, deep cuts, but for a mortise, no one will see the edges.

Eagle America brand Price Cutter may be your least expensive. They have a sale on Price Cutter brand until the end of the month.

I would recommend a plunge cutter bit so that you can avoid the need to drill a starter hole.

A 3/8 dia bit has 1in cutting depth which should be adequate for your need. Only $6 - sale price.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/..._straight_bits

A 3/8in spiral bit will cost you $44 for 3/4in depth and $48 for 1 1/4in depth, and require the drill starter hole.

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/..._-_spiral_bits
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Paine For This Useful Post:
jschaben (09-16-2012), Wood4Brains (09-17-2012)
post #5 of 9 Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
John

Hi Dave - nice catch on the bits. The spirals look to be a bit pricier than the MLCS but it looks like they have a chip breaker flute. Those are nice. Kinda interesting comparing Eagleamerica with MLCS since MLCS owns EagleAmerica.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Kinda interesting comparing Eagleamerica with MLCS since MLCS owns EagleAmerica.
I had sensed a corporate connection between Eagle Amercia and MLCS, although I previously inferred it was the other way round since Eagle America mentioned some months ago its new showroom which is the MLCS location near Philly.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Hi there, Dave:

Thanks so much for the tip on the bits. I will definitely look into the eagle america bits first.

Thanks again!

I'm An Expert In Ugly!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 PM
John

Quote:
Hi there, Dave:

Thanks so much for the tip on the bits. I will definitely look into the eagle america bits first.

Thanks again!
I just found this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vermont-Amer...item5ad4ed1c29

Vermont American, Bosch economy line. Not a terrible bit, I have a few of them. Not as sharp as the Onsrud's but usable, also not as expensive.

You may want to look at some of the other bits they have listed, I saw a 3/8" spiral for $14 also.

John

Last edited by jschaben; 09-17-2012 at 02:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
Wood4Brains (09-17-2012)
post #9 of 9 Old 09-17-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the ebay listing, John.

I'm An Expert In Ugly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode