Skil 3310 Table Saw Usually won't turn on - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 04-20-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

View hpmax's Photo Album My Photos
Skil 3310 Table Saw Usually won't turn on

Hello all,

I bought a Skil 3310 Table Saw several years ago. At the time my table saw was an old pile of junk which didn't even have a fence, and apparently I traded it in for a new pile of junk. While its several years old, I really haven't used it much... maybe 1 hour of total time at most over the course of its life. Other than having saw dust covering it, it basically looks new. A couple weeks ago I went down to my basement to use it and found it wouldn't turn on. I completely forgot about and two days ago, I tried again. And it worked. I thought nothing more of it, but then I went to go use it again, and it wouldn't turn on... and hasn't successfully turned on since... and then I remembered the incident from a couple weeks ago. Prior to that, I never had an issue with the saw.

I pulled the switch out, and confirmed that the switch is a SPDT switch that seems to work perfectly. That is, there is no short between the two inputs. No short between the outputs, and when switched on each input shorts to its respective output, otherwise all four terminals are open.

I measured the resistance across the two outputs of the switch (with the motor connected) and found it to be 1.5-1.7 ohms (bear in mind a dead short reads about .2-.3 ohms on the meter). I tried slowly turning the blade by hand, and found it turned freely, without noise. it generated some AC voltage. When I turned it and watched the resistance the resistance briefly jumped to a few ohms negative, and then went back to 1.5-1.7 ohms within 1-2 seconds.

My conclusion is: switch is good... there appears to be a nearly dead short across the motor.... but its not tripping the breaker (on my breaker box). I was thinking there might be some sort of internal breaker or thermal switch, but I can't find one.

I use table saws infrequently, I like having one, but I don't want a big one, because it would just be wasteful (of both space and money). I realize the 3310 isn't a high-end saw, but I would expect it to last more than it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-20-2019, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

View hpmax's Photo Album My Photos
Ooops, meant to say DPST switch...
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 05:32 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
hp - there's a fair amount of confusion in your post.

first - observe all safety precautions....
using alligator clips versus the straight pin probe makes these tasks easier - frees up your hands to do 'other' things.

let's start with the multimeter - disconnect the wires from the switch to the motor. plug it in, flip it to the "on" position and see if you have 110v going to the motor.
(resistance is not a good approach in this issue especially with the motor connected)
flip the switch on/off multiple times. if you do not _always_ and _instantly_ get 110v on the output side of the switch, that's a problem.
the internals of a switch can wear out.

next, you need to determine how the motor starts 'electrically' on that model. some motors have an internal centrifugal switch that engages a separate start capacitor, which 'cuts out' as the motor comes up to speed. wear/tear/dust/dirt/'schufft' hampering the movement of the centrifugal switch can make for a non-starter.
do you hear a hum from the moto when switched on but not started?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Cheap table saws .....

The cheaper table saws are essentially inverted circular saws with brush type, AC/DC motors. They either work or do not when supplied with the operating voltage via the properly working switch and supply cord. Check all those parts in reverse order..... outlet, plug, cord, switch and finally the motor for the voltage. Be careful when working with "hot" wires of course. The cheapest parts are in the same order, so IF you arrive at a faulty motor, it's kinda the end of the process in more ways than one.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-23-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode