Shipping Heavy Machines? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 16Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

View Wil_Bloodworth's Photo Album My Photos
Shipping Heavy Machines?

I own no (major) power tools but am going to buy several large machines (Grizzly) that weigh quite a lot. I have watched some YouTube videos and it seems like the people receiving the machines from UPS Freight have a hand truck so they are able to take the machines off the UPS truck themselves.

Is having a hand truck a requirement for taking receipt of these large machines? I do not have a hand truck nor do I want to own one as I have nowhere to store it.

My apologies for what seems like a really dumb question... I'm brand new to woodworking so... thank you for any advice you care to give.

Wil

Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 10:49 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
If you order a large, heavy item from a company that offers delivery ... it is their responsibility to deliver it to your door. If they ship it UPS, and UPS refuses to off load it from their truck, do NOT do it for them.
The shipping entity is responsible for setting up the delivery, and a lift gate vehicle and a hand cart, etc. are part of that arrangement.

On the other hand, moving large equipment around a shop often requires a hand cart.
If you have room for the large equipment, you basically have room for a hand cart, since it can fit in a rather small area when not in use.
Harbor Freight has them fro reasonable prices.
subroc likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikechell For This Useful Post:
Wil_Bloodworth (04-10-2017)
post #3 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
If you order a large, heavy item from a company that offers delivery ... it is their responsibility to deliver it to your door. If they ship it UPS, and UPS refuses to off load it from their truck, do NOT do it for them.
The shipping entity is responsible for setting up the delivery, and a lift gate vehicle and a hand cart, etc. are part of that arrangement.

On the other hand, moving large equipment around a shop often requires a hand cart.
If you have room for the large equipment, you basically have room for a hand cart, since it can fit in a rather small area when not in use.
Thank you Mike. I found a couple of different options at Harbor Freight. Do you think the 700 pound utility dolly would be sufficient or do I need to really get a pallet jack? Maybe I'm naive, but I could easily see using the dolly and almost never using a pallet jack.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 10:59 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
Depends where the machine is going - straight in or up/down stairs. Hand trucks and 4-wheel flat dollies are always handy. Bigger material handling equipment can be rented. Are you sure it is being delivered by UPS? Grizzley indicates anything over 250 lbs is LTL (less than load or trucked) If you're lucky it's a trucking company with a power tailgate.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoon View Post
Depends where the machine is going - straight in or up/down stairs. Hand trucks and 4-wheel flat dollies are always handy. Bigger material handling equipment can be rented. Are you sure it is being delivered by UPS? Grizzley indicates anything over 250 lbs is LTL (less than load or trucked) If you're lucky it's a trucking company with a power tailgate.
No sir, I'm not sure who will be delivering it from Grizzly. The video I saw had UPS Freight delivering the Grizzly equipment so I made the assumption.

However, at $50 to 100 for a reusable vertical or flat dolly, I wouldn't complain a bit. I can easily find uses for both of those from time to time.

post #6 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 11:20 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil_Bloodworth View Post
No sir, I'm not sure who will be delivering it from Grizzly. The video I saw had UPS Freight delivering the Grizzly equipment so I made the assumption.

However, at $50 to 100 for a reusable vertical or flat dolly, I wouldn't complain a bit. I can easily find uses for both of those from time to time.
When you order from Grizzly they will ask you if you need "curbside" delivery, it will cost about $35 more, and they are supposed to assist you in locating the machine, now how much they are willing to help varies driver to driver, have had some that were great and some that wouldn't do squat.

If you can stay on concrete that pallet jack would work fine, but the 2 wheeler would work also unless you are getting something super heavy
subroc and Wil_Bloodworth like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 11:23 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Well, I have never had freight delivered by UPS or any other carrier, but the lumber yards and the siding company all showed up with a method (pallet jack and fork truck) to unload their own truck. I doubt if any carrier would even let someone enter their truck.

Somewhere in the process, you will have to move your boxes. If the carrier drops it off in front of your garage door or in front of your front door or even in the back yard, after that if you want it moved, you will have to do it yourself. What you choose to use is up to you.

You seem to have some idea that there will be "several large machines" and identifying "Grizzly" maybe you know exactly what you are going to buy. If you know that you could look at the freight and shipping info to determine what you will need to move them. Another method might be to unbox the item and move the separate components by hand and only use a hand truck to move the larger pieces. If you are moving it into a basement, you may need help for that anyway.

I have a hand truck I bought at Home Depot. It works well enough for most of my "around the house/DIY" uses. It has pneumatic tires. I don't like them all that much and wouldn't recommend them.
Wil_Bloodworth likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to subroc For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 12:31 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
When you place your order .....

Specify that you want "lift gate service" when placing your order. That cost about $40.00 or so. Whether it comes UPS Freight or other carrier, like Yellow Freight, etc they will need a lift gate to get it to the ground. The driver usually will not assist you getting it to your door, but there are exceptions. :smile3: When dealing with several machines, you'd better have some strong friends on hand and if the weather is crappy, that will make for more fun. :frown2:

I have a large tractor with forks so that's never a problem for me ... any friends with one? I picked up my 20" plane grizzly in person with a small trailer at the UPS freight depot. They loaded onto the trailer and I unloaded it when I got it home by sliding it down the trailer's ramp....no big deal.

I good hand truck with large wheels will help. If the tires are pneumatic, pump them up to 50 or 60 lbs of pressure. You do not want soft tires on the hand truck. You do not want to run over gravel or soft dirt to get to your door either. Have plywood for the truck tires to run on. If it sinks in, it will tip over.

I ordered a 19" Grizzly bandsaw that would not fit under my 6' 8" door when on the truck in the "carry" position. We had to tip it way down to get it under the top of the doorway.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-10-2017 at 12:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 PM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Wil ... the hand cart will cover 99% of a hobby shop's needs. Most tools are awkward ... bulky, large tables, tall, etc. Few of them are truly "heavy". Most of them are far less than the weight of a complete car engine.
The worst thing with a hand cart is the narrow wheel base. As mentioned above, it's important to have your load centered and secured and your pathway as level and firm as possible. But a hand cart will get you through a lot of terrain that a pallet jack won't.

I have a pallet jack at work, and it only gets used on fully loaded pallets. Any individual piece of equipment is handled, easily, with a hand cart.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikechell For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 12:53 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly uses UPS Freight - perhaps not exclusively.

and Grizzly charges you extra for a lift gate delivery at a residence.

one tip, if the UPS Freight terminal is local, you can ask to have it held at the terminal and go pick it up yourself - do note, you'll need something to pick it up with - a car trunk won't likely do - and then there's the question when you get it home - okay, it's on the pickup, how do I get it on the ground...
post #11 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 01:06 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post

Delivering it to your door can easily mean at the end of your driveway. They DO NOT (with exceptions) get it into your shop for you. A hand truck is very highly recommended.

Hand trucks do not take up much space. I use mine as the stop for my golf cart.

George
post #12 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Thank you Mike. I found a couple of different options at Harbor Freight. Do you think the 700 pound utility dolly would be sufficient or do I need to really get a pallet jack? Maybe I'm naive, but I could easily see using the dolly and almost never using a pallet jack.
I have the Harbor Freight 700# truck that you show. It has done much for me in moving refrigerators, washing machines as well as tools and other heavy objects.

I see no need for the pallet jack that you also show. I had a couple of them when in business (along with forklift) so am familiar with capabilities and limitations.

My neighbors are also glad I have the hand truck.

George
post #13 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM

One thing to be careful of when moving top heavy machines, always be aware of how heavy they are, Saturday I was going to move my old 6 inch Delta jointer out of the way, after I had greased up the bed, it is on legs so it wasn't wasn't pushing down on the dolly when I leaned the jointer back to move it, it caught me off guard and I almost ended up with a Delta jointer in my lap
post #14 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 02:02 PM

And if you weren't about 50 miles away I would bring my tractor over, it will pick up about 6000 lbs, but I figure the Frisco cops wouldn't like me slowing up traffic LOL
post #15 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 03:43 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Good advice so far. A hand truck with solid tires, not pneumatic, most likely will help a lot. Use a couple of ratchet straps to hold the crates to the hand truck. Have the friends balance it for you, hand trucks are narrow compared to most crates, so tippy! You can also rent appliance moving hand trucks that have built in straps, heavier frames and often stair climber helpers. Much better than the HF hand trucks.
Lift gate delivery usually means they will get it to the ground for you, no further. That means it will likely be on the street in front of your house. LTL service is notoriously rough on shipments, look everything over closely for exterior damage before signing for it. Make notes of any suspected damage on the bill of lading, have the drive sign the notes. If you don't do that you are responsible for any damage.

Get some strong friends, just in case, & a case of their favorite beer & pizza.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Schweitzer For This Useful Post:
post #16 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
And if you weren't about 50 miles away I would bring my tractor over, it will pick up about 6000 lbs, but I figure the Frisco cops wouldn't like me slowing up traffic LOL
Ha! Thanks. We get the occasional tractor on the road around here still. Not seeing them as much as we used to though (unfortunately).

post #17 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Ha! Thanks. We get the occasional tractor on the road around here still. Not seeing them as much as we used to though (unfortunately).

The Haggard (sp) family used to own most of where Plano is situated, and piece by piece they sold it off, until they had pretty much split the whole farm in half, with about a 5 mile gap between the sides. To keep the ag exemption they had to farm it I used to love it when they would run an 8 row combine or planter down Park, Plano Parkway, or 15th street, they may still it has been a few years since I have been that deep into the city

I think they did it at rush hour just for fun, the cops would try to raise hell with them but there was nothing they could do, Texas laws protect them
post #18 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 06:01 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
the LTL / UPS Freight types here are very helpful and go a bit beyond the mins. our drive is about 50' curb to garage - and it's got a steep downhill. they always skidded stuff down to the garage door on a pallet jack.

from there I can break apart multi-boxes/etc and manage with a handcart.

likely depends on the guy, the day, his wife, his boss . . . .
post #19 of 34 Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I own no (major) power tools but am going to buy several large machines (Grizzly) that weigh quite a lot. I have watched some YouTube videos and it seems like the people receiving the machines from UPS Freight have a hand truck so they are able to take the machines off the UPS truck themselves.

Is having a hand truck a requirement for taking receipt of these large machines? I do not have a hand truck nor do I want to own one as I have nowhere to store it.

My apologies for what seems like a really dumb question... I'm brand new to woodworking so... thank you for any advice you care to give.

Wil
The only time I ever had a machine shipped was YRC freight and I had to pick up the machine at the truck terminal where they loaded it on my trailer with a fork lift.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-11-2017, 12:05 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I didn't read all the replies, but here is the skinny from Grizzly. When you purchase a heavy tool, there is an option for "Lift Gate service". It is an extra freight charge, but the carrier will deliver the tool to you in a trailer that has a lift gate. SAIA has delivered three tools (table saw, drum sander, band saw) to me, and each time the driver put it on the ground, then used his pallet jack to move the box into my garage. We all pushed to get the table saw up the drive.

I have no problem throwing them a few bones, and a cold bottle of water. Well worth it.

Good luck.
Catpower and Wil_Bloodworth like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode