Shaper vs Router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Whats the main difference between a router and a shaper? After all, doesn't a router actually cut out a certain shape? I ask as I have an chance to buy a Grizzly Mini Shaper for a pretty good price, but I'm not sure if I would use it much. I have a 2.25 PC Router mounted to a router table and it has served me well, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't use the shaper.

TIA for your comments.

Mark

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
that one is very limited

Like this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-4-HP-Shaper/G0510Z

It only has one speed 8,500 RPM, a 1/2" arbor which limits of cutter choices. It's almost a real shaper but not quite. I have the Craftsman 1/2" arbor version and don't use it much at all. Save your $$$ ...JMO

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings
Like this:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-4-HP-Shaper/G0510Z

It only has one speed 8,500 RPM, a 1/2" arbor which limits of cutter choices. It's almost a real shaper but not quite. I have the Craftsman 1/2" arbor version and don't use it much at all. Save your $$$ ...JMO
Thanks. Its actually a bench top version for $45, but I wasn't sure I'd use it enough even at that price.

Mark

Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 07:54 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
shapers run at lower rpm's, and use shaper cutters. you can install a router bit arbor into some small shapers, but router bits do not always cut well @ shaper speeds. they are designed for 20k + rpm's. shapers are good for what they do.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 09:43 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think a shaper is better but not the mini shaper. A shaper needs to be at least 3 hp like the G1026. If you get a notched steel collar you can grind and make your own molding profiles. The machine is heavier so you can brush the molding down better to where it runs much smoother. Then for large cutters like the panels for a raised panel cabinet door the horsepower a shaper has is really handy as you can make it in one pass instead of multiple passes you would need to make with a router.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 09:55 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
There are a whole pile of cuts that can be made with a router that a shaper cannot. A dado being the simplest example.
If you do a LOT if edge work, a shaper MIGHT be useful.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #7 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Howe View Post
There are a whole pile of cuts that can be made with a router that a shaper cannot. A dado being the simplest example.
If you do a LOT if edge work, a shaper MIGHT be useful.

In all honesty, I really don't "need" the shaper. I justthought it might be worth getting since it is only $45.

BTW, it's the Grizzly Model G8693, which is no longer sold. It's 3/4 HP, and looks like a benchtop version of the one woodnthings linked above.

Mark

post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2013, 03:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
$45.00 ain't bad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
In all honesty, I really don't "need" the shaper. I just thought it might be worth getting since it is only $45.

BTW, it's the Grizzly Model G8693, which is no longer sold. It's 3/4 HP, and looks like a benchtop version of the one woodnthings linked above.
Unless you don't have room, and won't ever use it.
http://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Glue-Joint-Shaper-Cutter/dp/B00CBKWM4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372183158&sr=8-2&keywords=glue+joint+shaper+bitHere's the glue joint bit I have set up in mine. It requires a bit of testing to get the height correct and it helps if the material has been planed to the same thickness. It makes a self aligning joint with greater gluing surface area than butted edges, useful for large panel and table tops of 3/4" thickness.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode