shaper or router table - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

View bigredc's Photo Album My Photos
shaper or router table

I've been wanting a router table for a while, the other day I had to tie wire my router to my work bench to a couple cuts. There is a shaper near me for sale for $125. with a fence & 1/2 HP motor. Shouldn't I be able to pretty much do anything I need to do with that, instead of a router table. It will cost more than $125 to build a router table, and this has a motor. I want to jump on it before it goes if it will work. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 PM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
1/2hp sounds to small to me.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 AM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredc View Post
I've been wanting a router table for a while, the other day I had to tie wire my router to my work bench to a couple cuts. There is a shaper near me for sale for $125. with a fence & 1/2 HP motor. Shouldn't I be able to pretty much do anything I need to do with that, instead of a router table. It will cost more than $125 to build a router table, and this has a motor. I want to jump on it before it goes if it will work. Any feed back would be appreciated.
Chris
Chris, I agree with Daryl, 1/2 hp is pretty wimpy. Table mounted routers can be gotten at over 3hp. And for the record, my 14 year old router table is 2" x 4" 's and a plywood top, screwed together. I dug it out of a dumpster and put a new piece of 26" x 35" x 3/4" ply on the top. Cost me nothing, and it's worked great for 14 years in my business. You don't NEED a cadillac router table!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

I guess I keep thinking I need to buy a top plate that mounts into the table you build, I was looking at mounting it on my radial arm saw table, or table saw side extention, but they where both to thick. I guess I should just get some 1/2" plywood. What size motor do you want for a shaper? I did some trading with a guy a little while back and got a few extra motors.
Chris
post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Suz

View Suz's Photo Album My Photos
There has been a lot of posts on various woodworking forums that expound the benefits of a router table verses a shaper. Each tool, no matter how similar they are in function the two are completely different. Take the horsepower issue for instance. The horsepower on a shaper is completely different than the horsepower on a router because when you calculate HP on electrical motors you have to factor in amperage and speed. Most if not all shapers have a top speed of about 10K revulsions whereas routers spin much faster.
You are not going to take a 2 1/2 inch router bit and hog off all the material in one pass like you can with a shaper.
Having said that, are you sure that the shaper you looked at is only a 1/2 horse and not a 1 1/2 horsepower? (My Grizzly shaper is 1 1/2 hp)
post #6 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
my thoughts also, I never heard of a 1/2 hp shaper. 1 1/2 is about the smallest. Motors on shapers are way better, industrial TEFC normally. a 1 1/2 hp shaper has more power than a 3 1/4 hp router.
Router cuts using high rpms and light cuts, shaper low rpm and torque for heavy cuts.
If that shaper has collet ability and takes both 1/4 and 1/2 bits, I think I would grab it as long as it is in decent condition.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

When you say collet ability what do you mean? I know the collet is what holds the bits in a router, how does a shaper hold the bits? I'm pretty sure I've seen shaper bit's and I thought they where the same just bigger. I guess it needs an adaptor or something? I just looked at the add again. It say's "Walker Turner one half hp" I found another picture of a walker turner. The one in the picture has a nice big cast iron table. I like that. I couldn't tell what the motor was, but it looked direct drive. I could see that being a problem. I it's belt drive I could always put a bigger motor on it. We're doing all this talking and I don't even know if it's still for sale. I would hope they would take the add down if it wasn't, but I have had that happen.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi bigredc

I would at least go and have a look at the shaper, to see what size and capacity it actually is. I am guessing that if it is a 1/2 horsepower motor it is probably using a 1/2 inch shaft. I would also think that it is probably a belt drive, in which case you could put a bigger motor in it quite easily. One of the things I have noticed over the years is that a 1/2 HP motor packs a lot more punch than a power hand tool that is rated at one half HP. I am guessing that it is due to the fact that 1/2 HP motor has a much larger armature, and therefore more mass spinning. An example of this is my six inch jointer. It only has a 1/2 HP motor on it, but it is one of those ancient motors that weigh a ton. My jointer has never bogged down, so it certainly is adequate. If the shaper is decent, and has a good sized table, $125 sounds pretty cheap to me. I would most certainly take a look.

With regard to the bits, the shaper bits have a shaft hole through the middle, and you install them onto the shaper shaft and secure them with a nut. I think 1/2 inch bore shaper bits are about the smallest available. Router bits of course have their own shaft, and you install the bit into the collet of the router and tighten the collet nut. If you do decide to purchase another router look for one with a collet capacity of 1/2 inch. This will allow you to swing a much larger bit than a 1/4 inch collet capacity would. Collet adapters to use 1/4 inch bits in a 1/2 inch collet are available. Going by the router bits and sets that I have purchased recently there isn't a great amount of price difference, but the 1/2 inch shank bits sure look more substantial. Last summer I picked up an old Craftsman 1/4 inch router, with a Craftsman router table for a measly $25 at a garage sale. They work great for smaller projects, so if your budget is tight that is another possibility. I did all the trim, door casings, baseboards, and crown molding for our hallway project on mine.

Sorry I got a little long winded here, but if you see a good deal, go check it out. You just never know.

Gerry
post #9 of 9 Old 03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
bigred: Yes my Jet has an adapter that will take either 1/4 or 1/2 shank router bits. The arbor is 3/4 or 1 ". Yes on the 1/2" cutters, most often even when you buy 3/4" cutters they come with 1/2" reducers.
Except for very light use always use 1/2" shank bits, so much better
http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net/walker-turner.html Check on that shaper and here is a link for more info I hope

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting If this looks like the one

Last edited by skymaster; 03-06-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode