Sears rip fence - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By allpurpose

post #1 of 11 Old 09-20-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Sears rip fence

Has anyone ever bought or even seen this fence from Sears Parts Direct?
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part.../0009/009.html

It's $115 and change from what I can gather, but I've tried googling it to see what others say about it to no avail. Apparently the only place it's even talked about is on their site and even then not a peep of reviews.

Oops..skip all the above. I see it's been talked about..
So..is the Align-a-rip worth the bother?

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-21-2016, 08:14 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I will not say that it is the exact same part number, but it looks exactly like a fence I purchased from Sears many years ago.

If so it is a very good fence. I especially like the T slot down the outside(sides and top) that is used to mount accessories. Makes it very easy to mount feather boards, sacrificial fences, etc.

It was also very easy to install.

George
post #3 of 11 Old 09-22-2016, 02:04 PM

View Dodis's Photo Album My Photos
Looks just like the factory fence on my CM zipcode saw (27104). Except for the 27124 model that came with a biesemyer, that is the style they came with. Has been working great for me.

Mike
Texas Gulf Coast
Weekend Wood Wrecker...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 12:04 AM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
I have that exact same fence that came with my Craftsman Contractor's Table saw.

I use it every day, and have had absolutely zero issues with it. It locks down tight (both head and tail lock), moves easily, and is very easy to attach accessories to.

I love mine, with one exception. It stands proud of the table by about 1/8", which makes it difficult to rip thin plywood, acrylics, and metals, but I just quickly attach a wood accessory fence, and off I go.

I can highly recommend this fence, using it every day, in a production environment.

Al Amantea
Amantea Fine Woodworks,
Baton Rouge, LA
post #5 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

It might just be in my future then.. on the other hand I've gotten pretty good at tapping the old stock fence over, but I have to admit that I cheat.. The bed of my craftsman is one of the 80s aluminum slotted deals so often I just align the fence to the different slots which is remarkably accurate considering. Problem is the old fence jams up against it every few inches or so..
I've been thinking about making a fence with a chunk of old aluminum shower door runner which is about 3" wide and glides across the slots real easy and smooth.. Getting it square to the blade's another story in of itself..

Side note..I had just opened a window to look for other reviews not 2 minutes before Al's post showed up in my email..I couldn't have planned that to happen..

Impressive, huh?

Last edited by allpurpose; 09-24-2016 at 01:13 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 01:13 AM

View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
For $120,you really can't go wrong with that fence, though. I'm not even sure you could build one for that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 09-24-2016, 05:03 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
That fence looks almost identical to the fence on the ridgid r4512 or equivalent table saw. I like mine.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-25-2016, 09:32 AM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
If you find that s/h adds a lot to the total cost, I'd consider adding a Delta T3. It'll likely requiring some new holes drilled in the cast iron, but it drills pretty easily and is a better fence IMO. $194 from HD.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Pow...30T3/205803795
post #9 of 11 Old 09-30-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I finally ordered it and used an online coupon that pretty much covered the cost of shipping..not a horrible deal. I've learned to always check for online coupons. They'll usually pay for shipping at least.
The coupon was for $18 and shipping and tax came to $19.
Now its just a matter of loosening the 30+ year old rusty bolts.. It may be time to invest in a propane torch once again.. I think I've owned 50 of them over the years, but just don't happen to have one now. Knowing my good luck they've quadtripled in price in the past 5 or so years..a massive propane torch shortage..

Impressive, huh?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-05-2016, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

It arrived today and low and behold the worlds most unsafe safety feature is right in the way and joy of joy connected somewhere between the top and all the guts of the saw itself. I'm considering just hacking it off with the cut off saw and calling it a day.

It's the rusty looking steel rod just to the right of the end of the arbor.

Impressive, huh?
post #11 of 11 Old 10-06-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Weeee! It's installed and cutting beautifully and about 900.76943 times easier to use than the old fence.

I did just go ahead and lop off the blade guard rod as it didn't work anyway and was in the way, but that did give me a reason to needlessly panic at 2am . I had loosened the bolts on the table top that are there for adjusting the blade heeling, but I didn't realize that at the time so I knocked the blade WAY out of parallel to the miter slots, but somewhere along the way I thought I could just loosen them to take out the rod. (WRONG!). Well, I had forgotten about that and at 2am I was thinking i had irrevicably (I think that's a word) screwed the pooch. I was actually looking on craigslist at 2:30 for another saw..
Anyway, I got it readjusted and everything is right with the universe..
Turns out that for $119 I got a darn nice fence and it's a whole lot easier to install than I originally imagined it would be.
On a side note I also grabbed a $22 2 in 1 air nailer/stapler from horror freight which works just fine too.. So for the week I got a lathe, air compressor, nailer and a brand spanking new rip fence all for $387 and I'll be broke till next month and I'm ok with that.. I'm not one of those folks who worries about money and where every last cent is spent. If I have money, great. If I don't I eventually will. It's not AS IF the world just stops making money just because I'm broke for the time being..
Now I suppose I probably ought to go and make something with all my new toys..
notskot likes this.

Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode