The search for a table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 35
View Project510's Photo Album My Photos
The search for a table saw

So I am very new to woodworking. All of my projects have been cut by hand or with a circular saw.

I have been looking for a table saw because I will be moving into a house in August with a garage large enough to use as a shop.

I wanted to purchase something new, but affordable but the reviews on those seem to be less than great.

I have found what I think is a decent deal, but its more table saw than I need. This could be good, as unless I plan on turning professional (not likely) I would not have to every upgrade. Purchase once and be done.

Here is the table saw I am thinking of purchasing:



The stuff that comes with it:







The seller wants $600 for it all. I tried offering $500 but he is very firm on the price. Its local to me which is also nice.

I guess my question is, should I spend a bit more than I wanted to for a something I most likely wont need to upgrade and risk a used saw, or do I buy something cheaper and new and risk it not being of good quality.

I was originally looking for $250-$350 range.

Used saws in that range tend to be quite old, or well used and id rather not hunt for repair parts etc

Any advice will be appreciated. I am going to see it on Saturday morning.

- James
Project510 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 35
View Project510's Photo Album My Photos
I actually just found this as well... which seems like it would be closer to my budget and not a bad saw.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/6100299655.html



Seller is asking $350

- James
Project510 is offline  
post #3 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,691
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have that saw!

I love my Craftsman 22124 10" hybrid table saw. It's got a great Biesemeyer fence worth $300.00 alone, a fairly strong motor at 1.75 HP, decent dust collection, large table nice riving knife and blade guard, and very smooth operating controls. handy ON?OFF switch.

Nothing not to like, really. Buy now and enjoy forever. JMO. :smile3:

I'd get the Craftsman for all the reasons I stated.
MT Stringer likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 04:10 PM
Interested Observer
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dover, NH, USA
Posts: 908
View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I like the first one. Nicer fence. Cast extensions. A couple spare inset blanks that probably cost $25.00 a piece and you will want/need those. Looks like a nice fence for the miter gauge. Nice little out-feed table. I think it is a stock accessory but a nice feature none the less. Probably the better saw. As a 2nd hand saw is it worth $250 more? I don't know.

I have never had the granite extension tables featured on the Ridgid but for some reason I wouldn't want them.
subroc is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to subroc For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-27-2017)
post #5 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 424
View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
The 22124 was a really nice hybrid with large cabinet mounted trunnions, solid cast 12" wings, and a great commercial Biese fence....the one you showed has an aftermarket Sharkguard splitter on it too (~ $200 new). It looks to be in excellent condition. These saws had a good track record, and enjoyed a large happy following from ~ 2004 til around 2009ish when they replaced it with the granite top 22116 that had a riving knife. $600 isn't a steal, but I think it's fair for what he's offering. You could offer $550 and leave your contact info.



The R4512 has a more checkered history, a lesser fence, steel wings, a lot less mass, and a smaller motor. On the plus side, it has a true riving knife. $350 isnt' a great deal on a saw that sells new for ~ $550, but $275-$300 is fair if you think that saw will suit your needs. The first thing I'd check is the blade alignment, and make sure it doesn't shift when you change the blade height.

Here's an older Powermatic contractor saw in nice shape....I think it's a late PM63 or maybe an early PM64 with a Vega fence, grated cast wings, old school outboard motor, and a link belt for $400 bucks....again, not a steal IMO, but a fair price. I doubt the Marathon motor is original, but it's a good motor.
Worth a look and maybe an offer if it checks out, if you don't want the 22124. https://stockton.craigslist.org/tls/6104416335.html

Once you push the price envelope far enough, I'd be considering something like the Grizzly G0771Z.

For more money, there's also a PM66 3hp for $850 that looks like a really nice deal if you have 220v https://modesto.craigslist.org/tls/6062422170.html

Another nice offering - an older Jet CTAS with a Biese type fence for $500 https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6097022294.html

An older Delta contractor saw for $250 - I don't love the fence on this one, but its worth the asking price IMO. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/6103587561.html

Geez, your area is loaded with 220v saws. 3hp Unisaw with Unifence for $600 - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/6101822719.html

And the list of nice deals on 220v saws grows - 3hp Grizzly G1023SL for $600. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6106942969.html

3hp Grizzly G1023ZX for $500 - https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6068453356.html

Her'e a Delta contractor saw with a Unifence - In nice shape, but $550 is more than I'd pay. $400 would be a good buy on it IMO. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6097040195.html

Here's an older Ridgid contractor saw - $375 is a little steep, but $250-$275 would be a nice buy IMO - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/app/6089565631.html

If you buy a saw that needs a fence upgrade, this Shop Fox Classic is a solid deal at $175. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/6106117596.html
BigJim likes this.

Last edited by notskot; 04-27-2017 at 05:18 PM.
notskot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to notskot For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-27-2017)
post #6 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Channelview, Tx
Posts: 2,642
View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
I actually just found this as well... which seems like it would be closer to my budget and not a bad saw.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tls/6100299655.html



Seller is asking $350
My son in law bought that Rigid new at HD. After he put it together, I used it to build six drawers and some other stuff. It worked just fine. The fence was smooth, and after we made a slight adjustment to calibrate the ruler, it cut right on the money.

I think I would go with the Craftsman. It has a lot of stuff that goes with it, which will save you from having to buy it later.
Good luck.
MT Stringer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-27-2017)
post #7 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Pirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 1,863
View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Here you go Grizz G1023SL $600

You should mention your general area. Someone here may have a saw for sale, or know of one.
Someone listed a Sacramento ad.
Her is one just posted for a Grizzly G1023SL cabinet saw for $600.
Into Old American arm myself, but it's supposed to be a good saw.
Grab it!
Pirate is offline  
post #8 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 35
View Project510's Photo Album My Photos
I did speak with the seller, and I believe we have a deal for $550 worked out. So assuming its like in the photos.. I will bring home the Craftsman.

Only trouble now is will it fit in storage. My move keeps getting delayed due to weather/construction. We were supposed to be in May 1, now its looking like August.

I'm sure the seller will know, but I will need to see how difficult it is to remove the table for storage. I don't think I can make enough space in our storage room with it fully assembled.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

- James
Project510 is offline  
post #9 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 35
View Project510's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
You should mention your general area. Someone here may have a saw for sale, or know of one.
Someone listed a Sacramento ad.
Her is one just posted for a Grizzly G1023SL cabinet saw for $600.
Into Old American arm myself, but it's supposed to be a good saw.
Grab it!
Location updated!

- James
Project510 is offline  
post #10 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 35
View Project510's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by notskot View Post
The 22124 was a really nice hybrid with large cabinet mounted trunnions, solid cast 12" wings, and a great commercial Biese fence....the one you showed has an aftermarket Sharkguard splitter on it too (~ $200 new). It looks to be in excellent condition. These saws had a good track record, and enjoyed a large happy following from ~ 2004 til around 2009ish when they replaced it with the granite top 22116 that had a riving knife. $600 isn't a steal, but I think it's fair for what he's offering. You could offer $550 and leave your contact info.



The R4512 has a more checkered history, a lesser fence, steel wings, a lot less mass, and a smaller motor. On the plus side, it has a true riving knife. $350 isnt' a great deal on a saw that sells new for ~ $550, but $275-$300 is fair if you think that saw will suit your needs. The first thing I'd check is the blade alignment, and make sure it doesn't shift when you change the blade height.

Here's an older Powermatic contractor saw in nice shape....I think it's a late PM63 or maybe an early PM64 with a Vega fence, grated cast wings, old school outboard motor, and a link belt for $400 bucks....again, not a steal IMO, but a fair price. I doubt the Marathon motor is original, but it's a good motor.
Worth a look and maybe an offer if it checks out, if you don't want the 22124. https://stockton.craigslist.org/tls/6104416335.html

Once you push the price envelope far enough, I'd be considering something like the Grizzly G0771Z.

For more money, there's also a PM66 3hp for $850 that looks like a really nice deal if you have 220v https://modesto.craigslist.org/tls/6062422170.html

Another nice offering - an older Jet CTAS with a Biese type fence for $500 https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6097022294.html

An older Delta contractor saw for $250 - I don't love the fence on this one, but its worth the asking price IMO. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/6103587561.html

Geez, your area is loaded with 220v saws. 3hp Unisaw with Unifence for $600 - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/6101822719.html

And the list of nice deals on 220v saws grows - 3hp Grizzly G1023SL for $600. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6106942969.html

3hp Grizzly G1023ZX for $500 - https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6068453356.html

Her'e a Delta contractor saw with a Unifence - In nice shape, but $550 is more than I'd pay. $400 would be a good buy on it IMO. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/6097040195.html

Here's an older Ridgid contractor saw - $375 is a little steep, but $250-$275 would be a nice buy IMO - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/app/6089565631.html

If you buy a saw that needs a fence upgrade, this Shop Fox Classic is a solid deal at $175. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/6106117596.html
SO MANY CHOICES!

The Ridgid for $375 seems like a great idea if I can get it for $250 like you suggest. Maybe I will try that and if he says no move on to the next.

- James
Project510 is offline  
post #11 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 424
View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
You can easily strip that 22124 down to the base cabinet by removing the fence and wings. Good luck!

If it doesn't pan out for whatever reason, potential bartering points for the older Ridgid TS2412 are the absense of the blade guard/splitter assembly (~ $75), apparent lack of a miter gauge (~ $25), steel wings, lack of warranty, and lack of mobile base. It's in nice shape, but it's not complete, and there are no compelling extras included.

Last edited by notskot; 04-27-2017 at 06:33 PM.
notskot is offline  
post #12 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
MT Stringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Channelview, Tx
Posts: 2,642
View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
We had to break out the red neck hoist to get the Ridgid off the truck. And that was after stripping the box of all parts.
And it worked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-11 13.42.57.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	293042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-03-11 13.43.15.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	293050  

Attached Images
 
MT Stringer is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-29-2017)
post #13 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 242
View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Go for the Craftsman, you'll never regret it, by the way it weighs 450Lbs. but you can break it down to a manageable weight, i helped the guy that bought mine, and it was not too bad to load, only took the two of us.
canarywood1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-29-2017)
post #14 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 09:24 PM
Got Sawdust?
 
Cowpokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Bel Air, Maryland
Posts: 310
View Cowpokey's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
We had to break out the red neck hoist to get the Ridgid off the truck. And that was after stripping the box of all parts.
And it worked!
I have the same ladder. Apparently I need to update my redneck operating system bios, hadn't thought about using it as part of a hoist. Well done.
MT Stringer likes this.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
- Frank Sinatra
Cowpokey is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 PM
Interested Observer
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dover, NH, USA
Posts: 908
View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpokey View Post
I have the same ladder. Apparently I need to update my redneck operating system bios, hadn't thought about using it as part of a hoist. Well done.
Me too. I have 2 of em', an MT-13 and an MT-22. I like em' a lot. My cousin helped me out a bit last summer and according to him they are a bit heavy. I looked at using them for rigging a jointer off the truck. The neighbor came over before I had the opportunity. Ended up selling the jointer.

I did use them for staging. I took the legs of the 2 ladders and switched em'. It gave me an extra step of height. They worked good.

BTW, they lowered the load rating on their current offerings from 300lb to 250lb.
Cowpokey likes this.
subroc is online now  
post #16 of 29 Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Project510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fremont, Ca
Posts: 35
View Project510's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
We had to break out the red neck hoist to get the Ridgid off the truck. And that was after stripping the box of all parts.
And it worked!
This has me thinking I am terribly unprepared to pick this up. Im going to have to get a friend or two.
MT Stringer likes this.

- James
Project510 is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 04-28-2017, 04:07 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,691
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
carry it in a pickup truck upside down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
This has me thinking I am terribly unprepared to pick this up. Im going to have to get a friend or two.
When I picked up my saw at the Sears store, we just flipped it on it's table and slid it into the pickup on a piece of cardboard. ... worked like a charm because the weight was all in the table.
Unloading was just reversed on a piece of cardboard.
A hand truck was then used to move it around slipping it under the cabinet and tipping it backward.
BigJim likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-29-2017)
post #18 of 29 Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 AM
Interested Observer
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dover, NH, USA
Posts: 908
View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project510 View Post
This has me thinking I am terribly unprepared to pick this up. Im going to have to get a friend or two.
After seeing that you will be putting it in storage I am wondering if you should rethink the purchase? The saw is sort of an OK deal, not a good or a great deal. To go through the process of picking it up and putting it in storage seems like putting the cart before the horse. Now you are moving the saw twice. Maybe it is worth it, maybe it isn't, hard to tell. Maybe a better deal could show up between now and August.

Anyway, I moved several Craftsman contractor saws and my Craftsman (King-Seeley) floor model alone. I just took the fence, rails, extensions, motor and miter gauge off and separated it from the stand and it was easy enough to move. On a hybrid saw like that it is similar but different. You can take the top off but the motor will still be in it. The final piece the saw body with motor will be pretty heavy. notskot posted an image of the saw stripped down and MT Stringer showed what they did to move a similar saw with the top on. Should be able to be loaded with 3 people...maybe 2. Also, make sure the seller has the time to wait while you disassemble the saw. He/she may be expecting you to pick it up assembled and roll it up on a trailer. Also are you comfortable taking it apart, especially in a remote site? Something to think about.

Good luck whatever you decide.
subroc is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to subroc For This Useful Post:
Project510 (04-29-2017)
post #19 of 29 Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 AM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 25,691
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Moving My Craftsman 22124 tablesaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
When I picked up my saw at the Sears store, we just flipped it on it's table and slid it into the pickup on a piece of cardboard. ... worked like a charm because the weight was all in the table.
Unloading was just reversed on a piece of cardboard.
A hand truck was then used to move it around slipping it under the cabinet and tipping it backward.
After I got it home, and welded up a channel iron base weighing over 100 lbs I needed to move the whole shootin' match to the woodshop on the second floor. My son and I did the move with some help from a chain fall:
Attached Images
    
Project510 and notskot like this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #20 of 29 Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Interested Observer
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dover, NH, USA
Posts: 908
View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Nice. Like the way you have it rigged. Your chain fall had enough chain?
subroc is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Your Own Router Table treewok2512 Power Tools & Machinery 23 09-16-2018 12:47 PM
Add a jig saw table to your table saw pbriggs8 Power Tools & Machinery 5 06-20-2016 12:20 AM
Expanding Round Tables Arbee General Woodworking Discussion 1 11-26-2015 11:38 AM
Wolfcraft 6157 router table. dbhost Tool Reviews 2 10-02-2015 07:22 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome