Screw-drive circular saw for building a tablesaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

View MEP1's Photo Album My Photos
Screw-drive circular saw for building a tablesaw

I'm planning to build a simple table saw, and my first thought was to use a screw drive model, and I have a couple questions.

1. Is there any advantage or disadvantage? I'm assuming there's a gear reduction that will give a screw drive more torque.

2. Can I even mount it upside-down? I'm concerned they have an oil-filled gear box that won't distribute oil properly if I use one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 02:57 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Regarding #1, the advantage is a worm drive saw hass a lot more torque than a standard saw, so you'd be able to make heftier cuts.

As far as #2 goes, that's a really good question. Id wager it wouldn't be an issue, but there's no way to know for sure without trying

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
MEP1 (08-14-2015)
post #3 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 03:07 AM

View mako1's Photo Album My Photos
Had an uncle that used to clamp an old B&D circular saw upside down in a B&D workmate deal and use it as a table saw.Used it almost daily and it always amazed me he never hurt himself.Especially since he made small country craft stuff from lumber yard pine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
As far as #2 goes, that's a really good question. Id wager it wouldn't be an issue, but there's no way to know for sure without trying
Thanks, I'll try and find out if they generally have an oil bath lubricating system or if the parts are just coated with a light-body grease.

Last edited by MEP1; 08-14-2015 at 05:29 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 07:49 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
but why?

Any circular will work, not very well or safely compared to a small job site table saw. The main issue is the fence, it's ability to be locked parallel to the blade and having it stay there. It can be done and here are some examples of the conversion:

Here's a stand meant for the conversion:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
There was a time when making such an animal made sense, I once built a complete set of kitchen cabinets with such an arrangement.
With the proliferation of table saws on the market, any used table saw will likely work as well or better and have at least the basic safety features, not to mention some kind of fence and miter gauge.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #7 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
For a number of years I screwed my circular saw to a piece of plywood and laid it across some saw horses when working in the field. I didn't make many cuts with it and it was cumbersome as H. Then one job I needed to use a saw in the field a lot and I bought a little Ryobi portable table saw I think for around 50 bucks. I didn't expect much from it but I was stunned at how well it worked. I'll never go back to the homemade table saw again. It had so much more HP than the circular saw and having a real fence made it a lot safer to use.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

I considered a small contractor saw, but I'd still have to build a larger table to support the cuts I need, which for now will be just straight cuts out of plywood. I've looked around a lot locally for a used table saw, and people either ask way too much for it used or it's in bad shape.

I do plan to buy a good saw eventually, but I need to get some work done now and I can't afford both a saw and the materials for the work right now.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM

View Minnesota Marty's Photo Album My Photos
Steve and MEP1,
I completely agree with you guys. Purchase an expensive table saw. I just went on our local Craigslist and put in table saw. 456 items came up. I went thru about half the list and more than 50% were under $150 and half of those were under $50. There was a small older Craftsman bench top model for $25... with 3 blades and a nice little stand on wheels. The other week my dentist wanted to buy a new saw for his garage so he gave me his Homecraft table saw/jointer free. A wonderful little saw. The fence needs some love but it works great. Why try to make something into something that it isn't.
I am a worm-drive saw fan. I think one of the best saws made. But, not as a table saw. Or better yet make a homemade track to use the worm drive on and you got something. The clamps holding the homemade track won't hit the motor since the motor is in the back.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEP1 View Post
...which for now will be just straight cuts out of plywood...
If that is your end game for the time being, sounds like some iteration of a Track Saw aligns much better than a cobbled together contraption that will no doubt be frustrating and cumbersome.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4512 Table Saw, 12" Compound Miter Saw, EB4424 Oscillating Sander, R4330 Planer | Bosch 1617EVSPK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Rikon 70-050VS Mini Lathe | Supermax 25-50 Drum Sander | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1061Z 1HP Buffer | ShopFox Cyclone DC | SO3 XXL CNC router
post #11 of 11 Old 08-14-2015, 07:10 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
yes, good advice here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
If that is your end game for the time being, sounds like some iteration of a Track Saw aligns much better than a cobbled together contraption that will no doubt be frustrating and cumbersome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSz7kPwFY0

A circular saw with a zero clearance straight edge guide will do exactly that and be accurate and much safer. You align your guide to the marks, clamp it down and make your cut. I've done this hundreds of time because the heavy 4 X 8 sheet of plywood don't manage well on a table saw with a small table. The whole thing wants to shift and tip and you don't get accurate cuts. You may even need an experienced helper... and those are hard to come by.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode