5Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Neul
  • 2 Post By canarywood1
  • 1 Post By TimPa
  • 1 Post By Catpower

post #1 of 10 Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

View Bubba Roberts's Photo Album My Photos
Sawstop or something

Getting ready to buy a new table saw. I have plenty of room for whatever. I am limited by single phase power. I rip plywood for cabinets 23" wide and then rip those peaces down to 36". Looking at 3hp sawstop. The sliders from grizzly won't rip down 8' sheets. I've been using a 1 1/2 hp jet for 18 years. I don't dado. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-24-2017, 07:29 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
well, you don't need a 3 HP saw for plywood

However a 3 HP cabinet saw is a lifetime saw and will handle any and everything you'll ever need. You may change your mind about rabbets or dados unless you have a router jig for those. I like a sacrificial fence with a full stack of chippers for rabbets, there is nothing easier or faster.

When working plywood, you can't have a large enough table. It's difficult to support any sheet goods in 4ft X 8 ft. An outfeed support is a safety must! You don't want to be reaching around or over a spinning blade to retrieve any pieces.

As far as a recommendation for the saw itself, some here love their Saw Stops, others favor the 3 HP Grizzlys. There's a considerable difference in price, but I doubt if there is any difference in performance. So then the biggest difference is the "flesh sensing" safety feature. It will pay for itself many times over in the first trip to the ER. It may depend on your experience, but there are horror stories of experienced users getting too casual also.

If you have the money, then get the Saw Stop, it's a very good quality saw and I've seen them in person. You can't look back and say "I shoulda ..." :frown2:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-24-2017 at 09:14 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-24-2017, 08:35 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you have been running a table saw for 18 years unless you are accident prone I don't think you need to spend the money for sawstop. I would be inclined to get a cabinet saw with a 3hp motor. It would give you enough power to do most anything.
FrankC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-24-2017, 09:18 PM

View Mike in the woods's Photo Album My Photos
I have a SawStop and love it... I bought mine because I finally make an income that supports it, plus it's nice to know you have the protection there. I have been using Table saws for over 30 years and only been close, but the window is always open to catch a finger.. I seen enough photo's of many long time woodworks that have caught their finger.. Plus I'm teaching my kids how to wood work and I remember my time in high school where a kid cut two fingers off... Yep 3HP saw will be good for anything you can stick in it..

Mike

Wood is designed to be made into what ever your mind can think of.... Never stop working towards perfection...
post #5 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 01:45 PM

View WesTex's Photo Album My Photos
I have a 3hp SawStop. It'll handle your work accurately and repeatedly. If you're commercial, your insurance company will also like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 02:07 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
If I didn't have my Unisaw, i would get a Sawstop, but mine is pretty new, it was one of the last Unisaws made in the USA

I bought it in 2003, right after my oncologist told me I had terminal cancer, I told my wife there was always one thing I wanted before I kicked the bucket, and that was a Unisaw, I had an old Wallace, and it was a good saw, just wanted a Unisaw

The best part was the $14,500 test they took to tell me I was doomed was wrong 40% of the time, and I was in the 40 %
post #7 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 02:23 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post
If I didn't have my Unisaw, i would get a Sawstop, but mine is pretty new, it was one of the last Unisaws made in the USA

I bought it in 2003, right after my oncologist told me I had terminal cancer, I told my wife there was always one thing I wanted before I kicked the bucket, and that was a Unisaw, I had an old Wallace, and it was a good saw, just wanted a Unisaw

The best part was the $14,500 test they took to tell me I was doomed was wrong 40% of the time, and I was in the 40 %

So there are times it's good to be wrong, good for you and i already know you enjoy your saw.
notskot and Catpower like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 02:29 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpower View Post

I'm glad you are here Cat! Guess the wife let you keep the saw?
Catpower likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
A Sawstop PCS 3hp with the T-Glide at $3k is a heck of a nice saw, and it won't bite the hand that feeds it. A Grizzly G1023RL/W/X or a G0690 are also really nice saws too, and are a better bargain depending on how what value you place on the safety brake feature. I honestly think the PCS has a nicer fit and finish overall, but it'll be darn tough to tell which one made the cut. Blade and setup are bigger factors than brand IMO. Both choices are winners the way I see it.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-25-2017, 05:04 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
I'm glad you are here Cat! Guess the wife let you keep the saw?
Yeah she let me keep it LOL

But man that was a screwed up deal, I was sitting in Carrier getting some a/c part and the oncologist called me,he told me I needed to talk to my urologist, that there was noting he could do for me,I asked him what my urologist could do , he said quite frankly nothing you have terminal cancer.

So after the shock set in I called my wife to tell her to call the urologist, and what the oncologist told me, she called me back a few minutes later and told me the urologist was out of country for 2 more weeks. That was a long two weeks

He finally got back, and I saw him he blew a gasket and said that was impossible as he had taken all the lymph nodes out that were close to my prostate, then after a couple days he called back and that is when I found out about the 40% failure rate.

I wanted to shoot the oncologist, but I did the next best thing, he wanted me to see what was wrong with his a/c, 4 new systems with the no vaseline price evened up the score LOL

Sorry for high jacking the thread
sgibby88 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catpower For This Useful Post:
Lew (04-26-2017), sgibby88 (04-25-2017)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode