Which Sander? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Which Sander?

I am thinking about purchasing a new sander. I have a Dewalt vibrating palm sander that I was thinking about replacing with one with a larger sanding area. I have this. http://www.mytoolstore.com/dewalt/dew06-08.html I heard good things about random orbit sanders and now I am not sure which one would be better. I want to be able to sand larger areas faster and something that I can hook up to a dust collection system. Does any one have any suggestions?

I am looking at http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=117946-70-D26453K&lpage=none

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

View Geoguy's Photo Album My Photos
There was a test of random orbit sanders in the latest issue of Wood Magazine (Oct. '08 issue). I don't recall which one is a winner, but the article has a lot of good iformation about orbital sanders. I have a Dewalt (I think it's a model 421 or something like that) that I've used for about four years and really like it.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

Found a link to the story but you have to buy it:
http://www.woodstore.net/rasa.html

Just get the entire magazine at the store - there's also a good plan for coffee & end tables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Do they work better that the vibrating sanders?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 05:17 PM
Curmudgeon in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonesax View Post
Do they work better that the vibrating sanders?
Well, they're much faster, easier to load paper, and give a scratch-free finish regardless of which direction you're sanding or which direction the grain is going. Oh, and they're about a hundred times better, in my opinion.

Even the cheap random orbit sanders (Black and Decker, Skill, etc.) work really well. I recently purchased the cheapest Skill random orbit sander Lowes had because it was going to take a few days to order and receive a new pad for my Dewalt, and the $34 Skill tool worked great. I highly recommend the random orbit sander.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
David, I have the same sander that your looking at Lowes. I think it's a excellent choice. I'm very happy with both the DeWalt orbital sanders I have, the other takes sticky back paper but no dust collection. I like the option of hooking it to a vacuum. Don't sell your vibrateing sander though, you'll want it for inside corners.

Last edited by user4178; 09-18-2008 at 08:09 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Keep in mind the cost of sandpaper...5" is cheaper than 6"...I buy 5" sticky back (NORTON) rolls of 100 pieces for about $18.00. Also, those motorized sharpening kits...take 5" sticky back sand paper! For dust collection...use a sanding table with air suction. I think a dust bag on a sander just gets in the way. Just my thoughts. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #8 of 18 Old 09-19-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck1957 View Post
David, I have the same sander that your looking at Lowes. I think it's a excellent choice. I'm very happy with both the DeWalt orbital sanders I have, the other takes sticky back paper but no dust collection. I like the option of hooking it to a vacuum. Don't sell your vibrateing sander though, you'll want it for inside corners.

The inside corners were something I was something I was concerned about. But youre right I would still have the old one.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman View Post
For dust collection...use a sanding table with air suction.
I was thinking about making one of these. I was thinking about about using a 2x4 sheet of peg board, mounting it on a 1x1 frame with a plywood bottom and attaching a flange of some sort to hook up to the shop vac.

Does that sound like it would work? Would I need more suction that a shopvac?
post #10 of 18 Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 AM

View Paul K's Photo Album My Photos
agreed with all said. You will love the random orbit sanders. Yes, sandpaper is more expensive, but I find it lasts longer too. I like the hook and loop kind, as I change the grits much more often, (as you are supposed to) you tend to really work your way up the grit scale when you only have to stop the machine for 10 seconds while you throw on a new grit. And instead of sanding with a finer grit because you are afraid of adding scratches, the random orbit will allow you to use a coarser grit than you would be able to use with the palm sander. And yes, keep the palm sander. I don't use it for inside corners that much, better to sand the stock well before you assemble it, but you do need it for outside corners too, and rounded areas where the disk doesnt work that well. They both have uses, but the palm sander is good with fine grits on less even surfaces.
paul
post #11 of 18 Old 09-19-2008, 01:28 PM

View tooldork's Photo Album My Photos
I have an older DeWalt 5" ROS and will not buy another. The pads for hook and loop paper are expensive to replace and so far, I've had to replace quite frequently. I have not found the brake being sold separate from the pad so, if you just need the brake, you have to buy both.

The bag ripped within a few months, which isn't that big of a deal since I vac most of the time, but there are times I do some vertical work on the walls and don't want to haul the vac around.

The attachment for the hose connection will pop off a lot.

If you are looking to remove a lot of stock and quickly, it isn't just the tool, but the quality of the paper you use. Never use a coarser grit than you have to.

I gave my buddy the Ridgid as a gift and have "borrowed" a couple of times for comparison and the DeWalt doesn't cut it. I'd like to try the new Milwaukee. Not a fan of the low profile PC since my hands are smaller.

My advice - Don't buy DeWalt unless you have to.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 PM

View Wood4Fun's Photo Album My Photos
I've got a Porter Cable ROS and love it. Only got it about six months ago and it was my first ROS... really remarkable how much less time it takes to sand. I bought a bunch of Mirka sand paper, I think that is the name... I get way more sanding out of one of those pads than I ever did on cheaper papers using my vibrating palm sander thing
post #13 of 18 Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I have been waiting to purchase the sander until I started a new project. I'll be starting my book case today which will take a lot of sanding. I'm having a hard time deciding between the dewalt and a used porter cable model 333. The used one is $15 in gas away, round trip. So its drive for an hour round trip and get one for maybe $35-$40 including gas. Or pay $80 for a brand new better model that includes a case and I only have to drive 2 miles to lowes.

Decisions, decisions...
post #14 of 18 Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
I am a big fan of the Porter Cable sanders and other tools, at least until P.C. was bought out by Black & Decker. The "new" sanders from P.C. are actually Dewalts w/grey shells! If you can find the random orbit 333 sander, used, buy it!! The other one I really like is the 330 pad sander. Think it going to be discontinued, buy one before it is too late. Advantages are weight, durability, and versatility. Bosch also makes good sanders.

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #15 of 18 Old 09-28-2008, 12:33 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
That would be a really stupid move on B&D's part to discontinue the P-C 330 Speed-Bloc sander. I'm not so sure that I'm real wild about their decision to change the Unisaw either.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

too late. I bought the dewalt. man that sucker can sand. No comparason to my vibrating sander. I may still buy the used PC just so I have another for a helper or ease of switching grits.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
I think you`re really going to like the PC. I have bought two PC333s over the last 10 years...and they were both bought new! The only other PC tool I own is an Anniversery dome top 7/8 HP router. Back to the sander...I tried the hook and loop...but did not like chassing the sanding pad every time it flew off!! For tight areas to sand...a detail sander is real handy. Anyway, the second PC333 bit it`s own dust two weeks ago. I`m thinking about replacing it with a BOSCH RO. If I had a large air compresser...I would go with the DYNABRADE. Any thoughts out there? Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #18 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
agreed with all said. You will love the random orbit sanders. Yes, sandpaper is more expensive, but I find it lasts longer too. I like the hook and loop kind, as I change the grits much more often, (as you are supposed to) you tend to really work your way up the grit scale when you only have to stop the machine for 10 seconds while you throw on a new grit. And instead of sanding with a finer grit because you are afraid of adding scratches, the random orbit will allow you to use a coarser grit than you would be able to use with the palm sander. And yes, keep the palm sander. I don't use it for inside corners that much, better to sand the stock well before you assemble it, but you do need it for outside corners too, and rounded areas where the disk doesnt work that well. They both have uses, but the palm sander is good with fine grits on less even surfaces.
paul
Agree completely. Being able to rapidly change between grits is great. I purchased a large package of various grits from Amazon.com and keep each size in a separate zip lock bag. Mine is a Craftsman madel that I purchased about 2 years ago. I hardly touch my palm sander anymore. I have even found that I use the belt sander less.

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode