Ryobi Table Saw (RTS31) - Hex Key - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

View iGator's Photo Album My Photos
Question Ryobi Table Saw (RTS31) - Hex Key

I just bought my first table saw, a Ryobi RTS31. I got it together. I haven't put it through the paces yet, but it seems like it will be fine for general DYI stuff. Anyway, I got the saw put together. The only thing that is bugging me is that they included a 3mm hex key in the package and I cannot figure out what it is for. All other parts went on fine. Anyone have an idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Might be used to align the riving knife.. check page 20 of the operator manual.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
The Following User Says Thank You to jschaben For This Useful Post:
vchelf (06-17-2014)
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 PM

View vchelf's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Might be used to align the riving knife.. check page 20 of the operator manual.
Thanks, John. I'm not sure how you found that, but the picture does show a hex key. I'll take a look on the saw. I appreciate your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 AM

View irbyka76's Photo Album My Photos
I too just purchased this saw and so far, I love it. I do have one question and would love some input. The saw comes with the built-in miter sled and I'm not a big fan of the miter gauge that attaches to it, it's clunky and I doubt its accuracy. I was curious if anyone had tried to build a more traditional miter jig for this saw. This is a tough Because the sled is a part of the saw and there are no true miter gauge slots for a miter jig to run in. Unfortunately, googling it produces nothing as it only takes you to sites with info about the saw itself. I am thinking about modifying/removing the sled and possibly building a new top into that space with a miter slot. Curious if anyone had any ideas? My planned projects to this point are boxes and picture frames where a true miter jig would help expedite the process.

Thanks,
post #5 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 05:45 PM

View irbyka76's Photo Album My Photos
GOing to start my own thread here.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-24-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

View iGator's Photo Album My Photos
irbyka76 - My search on Google hasn;t resulted in much either, other than the standard Ryobi product videos. Maybe that should tell us something about the saw. However, I am very pleased with my RTS31. I have found the rip fence scale to be spot on (with the blade at 90 degrees.) I have used the miter sled. Mine is accurate, but I would agree that a standard miter sled would probably be better. Since there is no track, I guess something would need to be designed that would butt up against the rip fence and the miter sled. If you come up with something, please post it.

Tags
rts31, ryobi, tablesaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode