Ryobi AP 12 Planer/New Guy - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 25 Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

View tctaylor79's Photo Album My Photos
Ryobi AP 12 Planer/New Guy

Hey guys/gals,
I'm new around these parts and wanted to start off by introducing myself and then ask a few questions. My name is Tim, I live in the Hudson Valley Region of New York and I've been on and off with my woodworking for years. Life kinda got in the way the last few years and now I'm ready to put some real time into the craft.

Now to get to the meat of my "problem"....I've had a Ryobi AP 12 planer that I inherited from my grandfather some years ago. Just recently I was milling some rough cut maple and the machine basically stopped running. Seems like the feed roller is locked up. The motor smoked for a few minutes got really hot and now when I power it up all I get is the humming of electricity. Anyone have any similar experiences with this planer? Thanks for any help/advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 PM

View doug1980's Photo Album My Photos
Never used it but it sounds like the motor is toast. Worked it too hard and from what I have heard about Ryobi planers, that's fairly easy to do.

Former A.F Staff Sergeant
From Alaska to Florida who knows for how long.

Last edited by doug1980; 04-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.
post #3 of 25 Old 04-16-2011, 02:23 PM
A_shop_and_a_Vette

View xphnmn's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds like the motor went south. Might be able to get one from Ryobi but it will probably cost you an arm and a leg. You'd probably be better of investing in a new machine. The Dewalt's seem to be the planer of choice. Be careful if you buy a used one though. Some of the earlier 735s and maybe the 734s too were notorious for using blades up fast. I've read that the blades on the newer ones were improved and last longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, There is only so much smoke installed at the factory, once you use it up... it's gone.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #5 of 25 Old 04-16-2011, 09:40 PM

View BCramer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
Never used it but it sounds like the motor is toast. Worked it too hard and from what I have heard about Ryobi planers, that's fairly easy to do.
That is what I did to my newer Ryobi planer. It still worked but had the potential of breaking down. I sold it on Craigslist. I recamend when you buy a new one to avoid the Ryobi instad get a Rigid or a Dewalt 734. Or find a good planer on Craigslist.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds like you managed to let the magic smoke out. Once that's done, forget about it. Sure you can track down and replace the motor, figure out what locked up and fix it, but chances are you will spend WAY more than it's worth...

Mind you, the Ryobi planers are fine machines, but just like any other woodworking machine, they require maintenance. And as these aren't exactly industrial strength machines, don't try hogging off 1/8" at a time, that is a good way to break a lunch box planer...

Having said that, and mind you I like my Ryobi 13" planer, but if I let the smoke out of mine, I would snatch up a new Ridgid with the lifetime service agreement in a hot second... They are good machines with a great guarantee...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #7 of 25 Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM

View stoneware's Photo Album My Photos
Fried Planer Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctaylor79 View Post
Hey guys/gals,
I'm new around these parts and wanted to start off by introducing myself and then ask a few questions. My name is Tim, I live in the Hudson Valley Region of New York and I've been on and off with my woodworking for years. Life kinda got in the way the last few years and now I'm ready to put some real time into the craft.

Now to get to the meat of my "problem"....I've had a Ryobi AP 12 planer that I inherited from my grandfather some years ago. Just recently I was milling some rough cut maple and the machine basically stopped running. Seems like the feed roller is locked up. The motor smoked for a few minutes got really hot and now when I power it up all I get is the humming of electricity. Anyone have any similar experiences with this planer? Thanks for any help/advice.
Yes, it sounds like it is toast. I bought the same planer at an auction, and the gears that raise and lower the blades are bad. I can't find them anywhere. Would you be interested in parting-out, or selling yours for parts? Let me know. I'm in Elmira. Tom C.
post #8 of 25 Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 AM

View dvanek's Photo Album My Photos
still have the blown planer? i need an obsolete gear 1200014. maybe it's still good
post #9 of 25 Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM

View WoodRepurposer's Photo Album My Photos
I scanned in my copy of the Operator's manual for the AP-12 Planer, if anyone is interested contact me. I think this is copyrighted so I can't upload it here.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-07-2017, 01:21 PM

When I took my AP12 apart I saw that everything but the motor was full of chips and sawdust. The fan on the motor does a great job of filling all the nooks and crannies! This possibly resulting in overheating and lack of rapid cooldown of the overcurrent protection device. Also I noticed that the airflow is blocked by the way the gearbox housing is designed, so I plan to modify it to allow for greater airflow rate. Also, I trimmed off some molding flash from the air in-flow area of the motor housing. My brushes are hardly worn at all so I figure the machine has not had too much use yet. I got this from a pawn shop several years ago. One further modification is to find or make a chip chute to attach my dust collector to so the motor won't have them available to fill the housing with again.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM

View wlbullock's Photo Album My Photos
RE: I scanned in my copy of the Operator's manual for the AP-12 Planer , if anyone is interested contact me. I think this is copyrighted so I can't upload it here.

I have had a AP-12 Planer for about 15 years, in one of my moves I misplaced the operator's manual and would appreciate a copy.

Bill Bullock
post #12 of 25 Old 03-07-2018, 08:19 PM

If you want a copy of my AP-12 Ryobi planer please include your email so I can send it.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM

AP-12 Planer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AP-12.pdf (184.9 KB, 411 views)
post #14 of 25 Old 03-08-2018, 08:14 AM

View wlbullock's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodRepurposer View Post
If you want a copy of my AP-12 Ryobi planer please include your email in a PM so I can send it.
thanks

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-09-2020 at 10:49 AM. Reason: removed email
post #15 of 25 Old 04-17-2018, 01:08 PM

View lanemarq's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodRepurposer View Post
If you want a copy of my AP-12 Ryobi planer please include your email in a PM so I can send it.
I'd love a copy if you still have it available, just broke a socket on my dad's and need to fix it before returning.

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-09-2020 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed email
post #16 of 25 Old 07-04-2018, 10:33 AM

View Jonathon Enger's Photo Album My Photos
Could I get a copy of the manual? Thanks. Much appreciated!

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-09-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: email removed
post #17 of 25 Old 07-04-2018, 12:46 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Look at post number 13 in this thread.

The .pdf file is linked in it. Just open it and save it.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by John Smith_inFL; 05-09-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: removed emails
post #18 of 25 Old 07-07-2018, 12:38 PM

View Jonathon Enger's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
Look at post number 13 in this thread. The .pdf file is linked in it. Just open it and save it.
Thanks, but that is just the parts list and diagrams. I was hoping for the rest of the manual, too.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-10-2018, 06:03 PM
The Nut in the Cellar

View Jim Frye's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathon Enger View Post
Thanks, but that is just the parts list and diagrams. I was hoping for the rest of the manual, too.

I have all of the Ryobi manuals from the blue/yellow era and Ryobi never had an OM for that planer on their web site. They had a law suit from some nimrod that injured himself repairing a drill and they subsequently pulled all tool documentation from consumer access. You might try finding an Authorized Ryobi Service Center near you and see if they can supply you with a copy of the OM. I do have the OM .pdf for the AP-10 planer which should be similar. Also note that there is no copyright marks on it.

Jim Frye
I've gone out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
"Sawdust is Man Glitter"

Last edited by Jim Frye; 07-10-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added text
post #20 of 25 Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM

View Bryank930's Photo Album My Photos
Here's the AP-12 manual as I received it from TTi support.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf [email protected]_20150507_090758.pdf (1.32 MB, 240 views)
Illjustmakeit likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bryank930 For This Useful Post:
Illjustmakeit (11-04-2018)

Tags
ap 12, planer, ryobi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode