RTS31 Miter improvement? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

View irbyka76's Photo Album My Photos
RTS31 Miter improvement?

I just purchased this saw and so far, I love it. I do have one question and would love some input. The saw comes with the built-in miter sled and I'm not a big fan of the miter gauge that attaches to it, it's clunky and I doubt its accuracy.

I was curious if anyone had tried to build a more traditional miter jig for this saw. This is a tough because the sled is a part of the tablesaw's surface and there are no true miter gauge slots for a miter jig to run in. Unfortunately, googling it produces nothing as it only takes you to sites with info about the saw itself since "miter sled" is a spec of the product.

I am thinking about modifying/removing the sled and possibly building a new top into that space with a miter slot. Curious if anyone had any better ideas? My planned projects to this point are boxes and picture frames where a true miter jig would help ensure good fits since the provided gauge is questionable. I included a stock photo and can take pics later to better illustrate. All ideas welcome.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Seems to me most people are replacing miter gauges with sleds, why the step backward? I could see possibly tweaking it to gain accuracy if that is necessary.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #3 of 4 Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

View irbyka76's Photo Album My Photos
Yea, maybe I'm reverting a bit here. I'll focus on ways to improve accuracy with what I've got.

The only other thing I dislike about the sled is it is slightly higher than the adjacent, non-moving part of the table surface. So far not enough to make a big difference if you are conscious of it but another thing to have to be conscious of lol.

Thanks for the input and keep em coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2014, 11:04 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by irbyka76 View Post
Yea, maybe I'm reverting a bit here. I'll focus on ways to improve accuracy with what I've got.

The only other thing I dislike about the sled is it is slightly higher than the adjacent, non-moving part of the table surface. So far not enough to make a big difference if you are conscious of it but another thing to have to be conscious of lol.

Thanks for the input and keep em coming.
That saw looks like the BTS21 that I had. I think Ryobi was/is still trying to capitalize on the success of the Ryobi BT3000, which used a sliding table very successfully, without the precision, read expense, that was invested in the 3000. The sliding table didn't sit flush on mine either and attaching the crosscut sled I built was a study in Rube Goldberg methodology. I gave up on the thing in less than a year and sold it off for about 1/2 what I paid and bought a Ridgid 4510. Sorry I can't be more positive about the thing, I really did want to like it.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Tags
miter jig, rts31, ryobi, tablesaw, tablesaw jig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode