Router Table vs Shaper or BOTH? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 12-21-2009, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
JWB Services, Inc

View tburritt's Photo Album My Photos
Question Router Table vs Shaper or BOTH?

I need to upgrade and add some tools in my shop. I currently have a small tabletop router table and misc hand held units for most applications, but want to get a larger more permanent mounted router station and or shaper. My question is what is the best system out there for a router table/cabinet for use with the smaller 1/4, and 1/2 Colet bits with easy to use cutting depth adjustment? And should I invest in a 3-HP shaper for running additional molding profiles at a higher production speed w/auto-feed options? My feeling is yes but wanter to get others take or opinion on size, type, and brand. Grizzly seems to be a popular brand but is the quality there? Most all of the other tools in my shop are of high quality, and I would rather spend a little more now and have something that will last a lifetime so to speak and be able to repair it if needed years down the road.
Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance for assisting me in this decision.
Troy

A small fish in a BIG pond making a difference one job at a time!
http://www.jwbservicesinc.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Whacha gonna do with it?

" Quote: .... And should I invest in a 3-HP shaper for running additional molding profiles at a higher production speed w/auto-feed options? My feeling is yes......
If you are going to make interior and exterior doors a shaper is the way to go. and those 3hp Grizzly's are the best bang for the buck, I own 2 of them.
If you are going to make cabinets for kitchen in 3/4" stock the router table, 3 1/4 HP, 5 speed PC router and a Jessem MastR lift is the way to go, I have 2 of them. It will of course work with thicker stock and raised panels, but the shaper is best for 1 1/2" stock and up.
If you are a hobby shop, the router table, if a production shop BOTH.
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-21-2009 at 05:35 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-21-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JWB Services, Inc

View tburritt's Photo Album My Photos
Bill:
I read your posted in a similar thread and agree with you on having both a shaper and router table. I was looking at Grizzly but was also looking into other brands for comparison. This was the reason for my post. I appreciate you suggestions and am happy to see that I am thinking similar someone else. A few guys I work around/with down here think I'm crazy to spend the money when a table works for everything, but I would like a safer method that makes my job easer. I bet as soon as I install the shaper they will be in line to use it!
Thanks Bill for you comments.

A small fish in a BIG pond making a difference one job at a time!
http://www.jwbservicesinc.com

Tags
router table, shaper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode