Router Table Suggestions for $300 or less? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 03-03-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

View GFOviedo's Photo Album My Photos
Router Table Suggestions for $300 or less?

I was going to buy the Grizzly T10432 router table, but after reading some reviews, it seems to have some level issues. So, I was thinking now of buying the Kreg PRS2100 router table. However, that doesn't really leave me much $$$ to buy a more powerful router.

Right now, I am using a Ridgid R24012, which is pretty much a hand held router. I was thinking of possible buying a Dewalt DW618 or Porter Cable 892 to keep it attached to the router table. I have had many good suggestions before on this forum. So, I was wondering what would you guys recommend prior to me buying anything.

I am also keeping my eye on Craigslist. Thank for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
If you are looking at the Kreg as far too expensive consider the Bosch RA1171. Seems to be a fairly priced unit. If I hadn't made a router table (with a bench dog plate) and also tracked down a Craftsman router table extension for my table saw, that is the one I was going to buy.

I have a Dewalt dw618 for the table I made. I have used it some. Seems to work well enough. To be honest, I haven't done enough work with it to really give an evaluation. I also have a Craftsman router in the table saw extension and have used it a couple times with a round over bit.

All I can say is if you are budget strapped, reassess and buy what you can afford. If you are looking at the Kreg table and can afford it yet little more, I still think you can look at the entire purchase and still get some usable and functional equipment for right around that price point.

Good luck whatever you decide.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-03-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

My wife sold my 3 HP router a month ago because I never used it. Now, I'm buying a router table, I don't think my current hand held router will be able to tackle continuous and heavy use to make picture frames.

I was looking at the Bosch router table, and the only thing that concerns me is the fence system. I'm not sure how secured it will be.

I might just start selling some of my home theater equipment so I can buy a better router table and router.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Is making your own table not an option?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I second this, roll your own and you'll have a better table for a lot less money

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
I second this, roll your own and you'll have a better table for a lot less money
I've been looking online for free plans to make one, but so far I haven't found any simple and decent ones. I'm afraid of buying the materials and messing it up.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 03:54 AM

View Oliver.Jones's Photo Album My Photos
I don't want to sound too self-promotional but I've written an article on the best router tables. I think you may find it useful. http://wonderlandgardens.org/best-router-table/
post #8 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 10:23 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Great advice to build your own router table, and many videos are available on line if you type in "build router tables". Also some shop/router books are out there that have EZ ideas/plans for router tables and accessories at a reasonable cost. As for "messing up" - we all do it, but unless you are building your table from very expensive rare material, it is only wood! Some mess ups can be repaired/replaced, and you will have learned in the process. Be safe.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 03:47 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFOviedo View Post
I've been looking online for free plans to make one, but so far I haven't found any simple and decent ones. I'm afraid of buying the materials and messing it up.
Its really a hard project to mess up, all a router table really boils down to is a flat top to bolt the router to, possibly with provisions for a fence, and the materials are all dirt cheap. Making your own lift is a little more involved, but still not prohibitively difficult. I can't recommend any particular plans, but I would recommend looking around to see if anything catches your fancy

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #10 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 04:34 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
3 levels of router tables

You got your basic, plywood or particle board with the router mounted and a hole for the bits:

Then you can have a router mounting plate with inserts for different size bits. The inserts are difficult to "shop build" and they lock in so it's a worthwhile investment. Plates are cheap enough to step up for the advantages of removing them for easy bit changes:

Finally, you can get a router lift that includes the mounting plate and the inserts and will raise or lower from the top surface for easy height and bit changes. This is the ultimate setup and is over the budget, just so you know:

I would say, you can get to the center option for around $300.00, maybe less. Rockler and www.ptreeusa are sources I use for router plates, inserts, and accessories.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
You got your basic, plywood or particle board with the router mounted and a hole for the bits:

Then you can have a router mounting plate with inserts for different size bits. The inserts are difficult to "shop build" and they lock in so it's a worthwhile investment. Plates are cheap enough to step up for the advantages of removing them for easy bit changes:

Finally, you can get a router lift that includes the mounting plate and the inserts and will raise or lower from the top surface for easy height and bit changes. This is the ultimate setup and is over the budget, just so you know:

I would say, you can get to the center option for around $300.00, maybe less. Rockler and www.ptreeusa are sources I use for router plates, inserts, and accessories.
Thanks for the pics and suggestions. I will be working on making my own router table first. Thanks again.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Sawdust Maker

View TTOKC's Photo Album My Photos
I have gone through several different options on router tables. I needed to make several duplicate Christmas decorations for my wife a few years ago so I made this and then used it for a long time.

The top is two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood glued together with a hole in the top. The craftsman has a small about of adjustability but just enough to fine tune the depth of the bit. The majority of my router work is to round or chamfer edges to I don't need a fence that often.

Then I decided that I was going to build a router lift into my table saw cabinet. I bought a router plate on craigslist and bought plans from stumpy nubs website for a DIY router lift. Then I found a local woodworker selling a bunch of his tools, he wanted $500 for this router table.

I knew priced new the Incra fence was $300+, the router lift is 300+ and the 3.5 HP router is 300+. Not to mention the T-track, on/off switch and the actual table and wheels. I offered $450 and we settled on $475.

But it was a case of buying it because it was a good deal but not really being able to use it. I don't have space for a separate free standing router table and the incra positioner with a drawer full of box joint and dovetail patterns is way more fence than I will ever need.

I took the router and on/off switch from the table and sold the table with the lift and fence on craigslist for $400. S basically bought a monster router and switch for $75.

I did finally build my table saw cabinet and bought the woodpecker lift on sale at wood craft instead of building my own.

I still use it for mostly edges but am going to build a fence that will ride on the table saw fence with some dust collection built in.

Don't know if that helps you any. If I were you I would splurge on a good router and lift and then build the table to the size and shape that fits your needs.

TT
post #13 of 15 Old 03-05-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTOKC View Post
I have gone through several different options on router tables. I needed to make several duplicate Christmas decorations for my wife a few years ago so I made this and then used it for a long time.

The top is two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood glued together with a hole in the top. The craftsman has a small about of adjustability but just enough to fine tune the depth of the bit. The majority of my router work is to round or chamfer edges to I don't need a fence that often.

Then I decided that I was going to build a router lift into my table saw cabinet. I bought a router plate on craigslist and bought plans from stumpy nubs website for a DIY router lift. Then I found a local woodworker selling a bunch of his tools, he wanted $500 for this router table.

I knew priced new the Incra fence was $300+, the router lift is 300+ and the 3.5 HP router is 300+. Not to mention the T-track, on/off switch and the actual table and wheels. I offered $450 and we settled on $475.

But it was a case of buying it because it was a good deal but not really being able to use it. I don't have space for a separate free standing router table and the incra positioner with a drawer full of box joint and dovetail patterns is way more fence than I will ever need.

I took the router and on/off switch from the table and sold the table with the lift and fence on craigslist for $400. S basically bought a monster router and switch for $75.

I did finally build my table saw cabinet and bought the woodpecker lift on sale at wood craft instead of building my own.

I still use it for mostly edges but am going to build a fence that will ride on the table saw fence with some dust collection built in.

Don't know if that helps you any. If I were you I would splurge on a good router and lift and then build the table to the size and shape that fits your needs.

TT
Thanks for sharing. I am going to build a benchtop router table for now and go from there.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM

View dbenney's Photo Album My Photos
Keep your eyes ON Cl... I just got a Rockler router table with a lift and several different plates and stand for $340

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 PM

View tewitt1949's Photo Album My Photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode