Router table or Shaper? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Router table or Shaper?

I think I made a big mistake of buying a router table. With all the money I spent on my router table maybe I should have gotten a pretty nice shaper instead. Is there any reason why one would not buy a shaper?

My dad had a shaper when I was a kid, but I was always afraid of it. I used all of his tools while he was out on the job working when I was 10 and I only turned on the shaper once for only a second.

I never was interested in a shaper since, but I was just watching Norm Abrams using one on YouTube and thought I should have bought that instead. Who the heck told me to buy a router table anyway.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Last edited by Sleeper; 09-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
shaper cutters are quite expensive compared to router bits.......for one....
The Following User Says Thank You to ryan50hrl For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (09-03-2013)
post #3 of 4 Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
they are very different, but similar

similar in that they both have a vertical shaft that spins. However, this topic has been cover at least 10 times here.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/s...erances-54663/

No you didn't screw up. Here's why. A router spins smaller cutters at very fast speed, 8,000 RPMs to 22,000 RPMs, because that's the way they work best. A shaper will spin quite large cutters at only 2 speeds 7000 RPMs or 10,000 RPMs.

The router has a collet for the cutters, a shaper has a shaft and then you can use cutters with a hole through the center, called the bore and a nut on top to secure them.

Shaper cutters are more expensive as stated. Router cutters can come up from the bottom of a panel and make stopped dados or grooves, not so with a shaper unless you are on the edge of the
board.

Shapers are more for large cutters in a production setting like making 1 3/4 to 2 /38" thick rail and stile entry doors, not 3/4" cabinet doors. Routers are noisy even when not cutting, shapers are quiet, smooth and more powerful and yes, more dangerous.

For a woodworker who is not doing production work a router table is just fine. RELAX.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (09-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Bill, And sorry for the double topic didn't see the other one or I would have added to it.

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode