Router Table / Lift / Router - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Location: About 25 miles north west of Bemidji MN but moving, need to ask for an extension
View brokenknee's Photo Album My Photos
Router Table / Lift / Router

Thinking of getting a new router table/lift/router. I am currently thinking of the jesson master lift II. I noticed they sell the plate in either a 8 1/4 X 11 3/4 or a 9 1/4 X 11 3/4. Is there any advantage, disadvantage to either size? The reason I ask as one review I read was blasting the kreg table for using the larger size and said it was an older system.

Also has anyone had any issues with an MDF router table? Looking at online at reviews I occasionally see complaints of the table warping. Would it be money well spent to spring for the cast iron top from bench dog?

I plan on putting in the Porter cable 7518 or the Milwaukee equivalent. Was leaning towards the porter cable until I read a number of poor reviews online relating to the collet and speed control.

Recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Budget is around a grand more or less.

Almost forgot fence recommendations, haven't searched that as much.

My problem is I do not live near any major city that has any woodworking stores were i can go look at them up and personal. The internet is fine, but some times a person likes to see what they are purchasing.

"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-10-2018, 11:06 PM

View Terry Q's Photo Album My Photos
Router Table / Lift / Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenknee View Post
Thinking of getting a new router table/lift/router. I am currently thinking of the jesson master lift II. I noticed they sell the plate in either a 8 1/4 X 11 3/4 or a 9 1/4 X 11 3/4. Is there any advantage, disadvantage to either size? The reason I ask as one review I read was blasting the kreg table for using the larger size and said it was an older system.

Also has anyone had any issues with an MDF router table? Looking at online at reviews I occasionally see complaints of the table warping. Would it be money well spent to spring for the cast iron top from bench dog?

I plan on putting in the Porter cable 7518 or the Milwaukee equivalent. Was leaning towards the porter cable until I read a number of poor reviews online relating to the collet and speed control.

Recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Budget is around a grand more or less.

Almost forgot fence recommendations

The 9 1/4 x 11 3/4 is by far the more common size. The 8 1/4 x 11 3/4 is most commonly seen with Rockler products and their in-house Bench Dog brand. The reviewer is wrong.

The lift comes with my highest recommendations.

I use the Porter Cable 7518 in my lift, donít have to change speeds that often, and Iíve never had a problem with the router. There are many good routers however and itís rare you will have problems with any of them so long as you use them appropriately.

My guess is that most of us donít use a cast iron router top. One can easily make a router top as good as anything else out there, built with your setup in mind with reinforcements in the base to assure the top doesnít sage. I laminate 3/4 plywood to 1/2 Mdf, cover the edges with hard wood, then cover both sides with plastic laminate before cutting the hole for the router lift.

If you are going to use your fence for basic routing then you will be happy with whatever you get, and should probably get the fence that comes from the same manufacturer as your router top. they are all work basically the same except for Incra.

If you want to do small boxes, or fancy drawers, or just want to have an extremely high degree of control over your router fence, then you should spend a few minutes on YouTube checking out the Incra fence. If you buy an Incra fence, you will want to buy or make a bigger than usual router table.

In woodworking there is always more then one way to accomplish something.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2018, 02:34 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Building a router table is pretty easy if you are in the mood to tackle it. I built mine for under $100, but I already had the router, it's a Bosch 1617EVS, what I like about it is the plunge base will fit the plate from Rockler that is predrilled and the base has a lift built into to it, I am very satisfied with my table and lift

They even send an Allen T handle for the lift, the only thing I don't like about it is the socket head of the lift will sometimes get sawdust in it so you have to blow it out, but almost all lifts have that problem unless they have the allen screw on the side

There is no app for experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2018, 04:27 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Guess I am getting senile, the fixed base is the one with the Allen screw to use with a router table

There is no app for experience
post #5 of 6 Old 09-11-2018, 04:57 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I love my JessEms

I have 3 Jessem MastRLift2's in cast iron Bench dog tables with the small 8 1/4" X 11 3/4" plates. No issues. I use the Porter Cable 3 1/4 HP routers with safety paddle switches on the sides of the legs. No Issues.
The tables came with nice aluminum fences and dust ports. Each one is about $1000 worth of machinery and metal parts. The best set up ain't cheap. If you get one , you'll love it too.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-11-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Location: About 25 miles north west of Bemidji MN but moving, need to ask for an extension
View brokenknee's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies.

"Clarity to Agreement" Dennis Prager

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode