Room for one sander... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 10-01-2017, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

View Rhaugle's Photo Album My Photos
Room for one sander...

I have room for one good sized sander and curious what you guys think I should get... Currently I have a handheld belt sander and a random orbital disc sander. I'm suck between either a stationary belt and disc sander (2 options, a wide 4" belt or skinny 1" belt) all in one style, or a oscillating spindle sander. As I said, this will be my only stationary sander so needs to be the most useful for most things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2017, 07:01 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
A friend borrows my sander ever couple of years or so. Otherwise it would sit unused.

A sander is not something that you are going to use very much. Occasionally you have a project where one would come in handy .

Because of this, I bought a sander that does not sit out all of the time. I got one of the smaller ones that can sit out of the way on a shelf when not needed.

George
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2017, 07:22 AM

View intrepid's Photo Album My Photos
I have the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. I is one of my most used tools. Hardly ever use my grinder any longer. Its a bench model and doesn't take a lot of space. Had it now for 5+ years and no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2017, 07:46 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I had a stationary sander once and never used it. After a couple times the sander grabbing the wood and pulling it out of my hands I got to where I found different ways to get the job done. I do have a spindle sander and make use of it. I just bought a chean one and it doesn't oscillate enough. I need to replace it with a more professional model.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2017, 10:27 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I also have a Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander. I use it a lot for shaping. For example after I rough cut a curve in a board I use it to shape to my line. I also like the fact that belt sander oscillates.

THE GOOD NEWS: You create your own destiny...THE BAD NEWS: You create your own destiny
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2017, 10:40 AM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
Guess it depends on what you plan on building. I have a 12 inch disc, 6x48 belt, 6x80 edge, stroke sander, oscillating spindle, flap, and inflatable drum sander My next one will be a 37 inch Timesaver

I hate to sand so I try to do as little as possible, and if a machine will do it, I will use them

Each one has a special niche for sanding but if I get the Timesaver, the stroke sander will set idle, but building cabinet doors, a stroke sander is a life saver
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
. . . grabbing the wood . . .

yup. I have the Rigid oscillator - luv' it to death but I did build a sled after it launched a smallish piece into orbit. come to think about it, never did find that piece....
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode