Rockwell jointer/planer for sale if anyone is interested - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By mbsfield
  • 1 Post By mbsfield
  • 1 Post By mbsfield

post #1 of 11 Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

View mbsfield's Photo Album My Photos
Rockwell jointer/planer for sale if anyone is interested

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not.

Looking for $650 OBO, runs great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-01-2019, 10:47 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It is only a jointer ......

A jointer/planer is a combination machine which will thickness plane as well as joint. This machine will only joint and is called a jointer on the name plate!

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 11 Old 09-01-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
A jointer/planer is a combination machine which will thickness plane as well as joint. This machine will only joint and is called a jointer on the name plate!
Read again. It says "joint or plane" several times on said plate.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 12:08 AM
where's my table saw?

I can read ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbsfield View Post
Read again. It says "joint or plane" several times on said plate.

You used a ( / ) between the words jointer and planer which implies a different machine. Yes, a jointer will "plane" but it's not a "planer" which is a commonly used term for a thickness planer. I own a jointer, a thickness planer and a jointer/planer.

A jointer/planer or planer/jointer is one of these:
https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jjp...w-stand/707410

You are selling a jointer:
https://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jj-...ives/708457DXK

The plate describes "jointing" which is the process of squaring and edge to the face and "planing" which is the process of flattening the face. These terms are used as verbs, not nouns, the name of a machine.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-02-2019 at 12:23 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 12:50 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I'll take it. Please drop it off at my home. I'll pay you on delivery.

Regarding the term "jointer/planer", I have heard it used to describe what we call a jointer, usually by older people. I consider the term "jointer/planer" to be archaic when used to describe the tool shown above.

The current, modern use of the terminology defines three different tools:

* Jointer - The tool pictured above. It has a fence, which is used to make a right angle for a jointed edge. It can also make one side of a board flat, but not necessarily parallel to the other side. This is the reason for the archaic term "jointer/planer."

* Planer - A tool that flattens the top surface of a board, parallel to the bottom surface of the board. I use a DeWalt DW735 planer.

* Jointer/Planer - A combination tool that can be used as a jointer or a planer (as described in the two definitions above). You configure the tool for whichever use you need. Some people report that they are a compromise, not quite as good as their standalone counterparts. Sometimes they are frustrated with the time it takes to convert from one use to the other and back. They may be an option for people with limited space or resources.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Good grief, that's how I saw it labeled all over the internet, didn't know it was going to be a trigger...

shoot summ and red68mgb like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 AM
where's my table saw?

Ever heard of Grzzly?

Here's a link to their jointers:
https://www.grizzly.com/jointers

here's a link to their planers:
https://www.grizzly.com/planers

Here's their planer/jointer and notice the ( / ) in the title:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...Series/G0634XP

Call it what ever you want, but the industry is specific about terms used to describe their products and this is one. The Google folks are probably not woodworkers, so don't have a clue. The folks who manufacture the machines know what they are called and well as some of the woodworkers here ... just sayin'.
You would think that the folks at Fine Woodworking magazine would know what it is and that's why I posted this link:

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-02-2019 at 08:51 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Here's a link to their jointers:
https://www.grizzly.com/jointers

here's a link to their planers:
https://www.grizzly.com/planers

Here's their planer/jointer and notice the ( / ) in the title:

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...Series/G0634XP

Call it what ever you want, but the industry is specific about terms used to describe their products and this is one. The Google folks are probably not woodworkers, so don't have a clue. The folks who manufacture the machines know what they are called and well as some of the woodworkers here ... just sayin'.
You would think that the folks at Fine Woodworking magazine would know what it is and that's why I posted this link:
What to Look for in a Jointer/Planer Combo Machine - YouTube
Understood, thanks. And to be clear about how and where I searched. When looking up the model number to date this machine it was listed as a jointer/planer nearly everywhere that I looked that had information in regards to that model number. So, I wasn't looking at some random sites/postings, it seems to me that there is a misconception with a lot of the community itself. I will say that I was never able to put an accurate age on this machine.

woodnthings likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 11:12 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I'll take it. Please drop it off at my home. I'll pay you on delivery. [...]
I was only kidding, of course, because @mbsfield does not know my address to deliver it. I thought he or she might get the hint. I can't believe that mbsfield STILL hasn't said WHERE this heavy tool is. Nobody is going to buy it and have it shipped to them. The cost of shipping would double the cost of the tool. Duh!

Heavy tools like those almost always sell in their local markets. It costs too much to crate and ship them, and how do you deal with damage on arrival? Return the unsatisfactory tool? Eek!

It looks like a beautiful, wonderful jointer, but anyone serious about buying it would want to see it in person to assess its condition. Otherwise, it is a pig in a poke.

Related, but way off topic:
I learned something new yesterday. The expressions, "pig in a poke" and "let the cat out of the bag" may be related. Who knew?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
mbsfield (09-02-2019)
post #10 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Shouldn't be such a big deal...

Pretty easy to see from the pics what it is, might have been a big issue if the OP called it a planer only, or a table saw, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to shoot summ For This Useful Post:
mbsfield (09-02-2019)
post #11 of 11 Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
I was only kidding, of course, because @mbsfield does not know my address to deliver it. I thought he or she might get the hint. I can't believe that mbsfield STILL hasn't said WHERE this heavy tool is. Nobody is going to buy it and have it shipped to them. The cost of shipping would double the cost of the tool. Duh!

Heavy tools like those almost always sell in their local markets. It costs too much to crate and ship them, and how do you deal with damage on arrival? Return the unsatisfactory tool? Eek!

It looks like a beautiful, wonderful jointer, but anyone serious about buying it would want to see it in person to assess its condition. Otherwise, it is a pig in a poke.

Related, but way off topic:

I learned something new yesterday. The expressions, "pig in a poke" and "let the cat out of the bag" may be related. Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke
I figured you were joking , that's why I didn't address. Tbh, freight shipping isn't that bad (location dependant, of course), it's $100-$200 for most likely. Naturally, that would freight would be for the collector or that guy/girl looking for this particular item. The machine in question is in the North Alabama realm for those that are interested. As far as damage, shipping would be insured to cover both ends. I've tried selling in town for awhile, now, but no one has shown any interest. I don't have a need for it, although, I do have a need for a power hammer. Naturally, I'm a blacksmith not a woodworker by trade.

I bought this particular piece of machinery from a woman who's father had recently died, this was his machine, and I was trying to give her a helping hand. I've had it for 3 years and used it twice, like I said, I'm not a woodworker and I can only use so man cabinets. At this point it's just costing me money in my storage unit, had to store since I'm in between moves, and my priority is on my metal working tools. Great piece of machinery, I just need to move it to someone that really has a need for it.

Tool Agnostic likes this.

Last edited by mbsfield; 09-02-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode