Rockler dovetail jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Rockler dovetail jig

I had a Porter Cable dovetail jig and didn't get consistent results with it. Rockler has theirs on sale for $99.99 with free shipping. Anyone have any comments on this jig?

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeb41 View Post
I had a Porter Cable dovetail jig and didn't get consistent results with it. Rockler has theirs on sale for $99.99 with free shipping. Anyone have any comments on this jig?

Joe B.
Hi Joe - Rockler jig is basically a copy of the Porter Cable jig, dunno how your results could be different. If you want to try something different, look at the MLCS fast joinery system.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...nt_system.html

What kind of problems were you having with the Porter Cable?

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Joe - Rockler jig is basically a copy of the Porter Cable jig, dunno how your results could be different. If you want to try something different, look at the MLCS fast joinery system.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...nt_system.html

What kind of problems were you having with the Porter Cable?
Once I got it set up for 1/2" stock It was fine, then a few days later for some reason things changed and I could not get it to give me the same results. One of the stops was out of square and PC gave me a hard time about getting it replaced so I got frustrated and gave up on it.

Joe B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Joe - On the Rockler jig the edge guides are plastic.... good job trying to get them adjusted AND tightened down with them twisting out of alignment. Other issue I had is if you get the dust collector with it, there is no way to make adjustments to the edge guides with the collector installed. Once set up, it works pretty good but such a pain I basically just set it up as far out as I could and left it alone. I don't do dovetails often anyway. Got it for one kitchen job and have only used it a couple of times since.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode