Riving Knife for Delta 10" Tablesaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

View wickedsolo's Photo Album My Photos
Riving Knife for Delta 10" Tablesaw

I have a Delta 36-600 10" contractors saw and I've been interested in finding a solution for adding a riving knife. However, I'm not sure if it is possible with this type of saw.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Any products or solutions that have been found to be effective?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-13-2017, 09:59 PM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen some people make custom throat plates and add in a vertical piece of wood/metal to act as a riving knife to reduce pinching and kickback, you would need to take care to make sure it's positioned correctly.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-poUiD1shg7...bk/s1600/b.jpg

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I've seen some people make custom throat plates and add in a vertical piece of wood/metal to act as a riving knife to reduce pinching and kickback, you would need to take care to make sure it's positioned correctly.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-poUiD1shg7...bk/s1600/b.jpg

I've thought about attempting this, but I'm not confident that I could get it to work correctly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2017, 10:05 PM

View notskot's Photo Album My Photos
No aftermarket riving knife exists for the 36-600, so it'll have to be something custom. For that saw, it'd be more prudent to add something like the Microjig splitter to it....simple and affordable.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought an MJ Splinter kit. The yellow (thin kerf) $25.00 one. It just arrived today so I haven't installed it. I haven't made the zero clearance insert yet. It is actually going on the saw I am restoring. Not a riving knife to be sure but looks like it will serve my purpose.

Maybe it is worth a look for your needs.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 PM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
I just bought an MJ Splinter kit. The yellow (thin kerf) $25.00 one. It just arrived today so I haven't installed it. I haven't made the zero clearance insert yet. It is actually going on the saw I am restoring. Not a riving knife to be sure but looks like it will serve my purpose.

Maybe it is worth a look for your needs.
My only issue with the MJ Spliter is that the piece is designed to come out, which is a 'safety feature' but I would imagine it comes out when not wanted, or needed, which might prove irritating. And even with the MJ kit, it would still require a custom throat plate to be made.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #7 of 7 Old 06-14-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Looking at my zero clearance insert, not sure there is enough space for it behind the blade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode