Ripping and Framing Circular Saw Blades - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

View snance01's Photo Album My Photos
Ripping and Framing Circular Saw Blades

I am doing a school project on marketing circular saw blades and would like to get some insight on what professional's or DIYers look for in a portable circular saw blade. More specifically a 7-1/4", 24T with carbide tips.

I would like to know what brand of blade is good for ripping and framing and why? How long does your typical blade last for certain jobs? Is this certain blade heavy duty or not? Does this type of blade have a general or specific purpose? And what makes you come back to a certain brand of blades?

If you are willing to help me with my research it would help me out if you could leave your age, sex and job description. Also, any additional information that you would like to give me would be great!

Thanks so much!
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
What in the world does my age, sex and job description have to do with a saw blade and my opinions on how it works? This isn't Facebook.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM

View gideon's Photo Album My Photos
google the blades so you at least know a little something about them - what makes a rip vs crosscut, etc.

also, as far as marketing goes, unless it is made by one or two brands, I could care less about what they say about the blade itself. it just needs to be a rip or crosscut and i do prefer carbide tips.

so, my recommendation is to do a little bit of research on what a blade is and what makes it ready to do a certain operation, come back and then pick our brains a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 01:12 PM

View gideon's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweensdv View Post
What in the world does my age, sex and job description have to do with a saw blade and my opinions on how it works? This isn't Facebook.

If we all say we're petite women from a certain part of the country, we'll start seeing pink blades with pretty pictures on them...
post #5 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
First of all Welcome to the forum. Secondly, as mentioned do some research find most popular ones on google, start a thread with a poll & options. After that you will find that we will automatically offer our individual opinions. Good luck on your project.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #6 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snance01 View Post
I am doing a school project on marketing circular saw blades and would like to get some insight on what professional's or DIYers look for in a portable circular saw blade. More specifically a 7-1/4", 24T with carbide tips.

I would like to know what brand of blade is good for ripping and framing and why? How long does your typical blade last for certain jobs? Is this certain blade heavy duty or not? Does this type of blade have a general or specific purpose? And what makes you come back to a certain brand of blades?

If you are willing to help me with my research it would help me out if you could leave your age, sex and job description. Also, any additional information that you would like to give me would be great!

Thanks so much!
Steven
First off there about 5 different brands of blades that are on the racks of the Home centers...Freud, Dewalt Vermont American, Skill and Irwin. Of those the Freuds are the best in my opinion and my buddies who frame like them also. They are all pretty much "equal" in performance, but Freud comes out on top. They are considered by some to be disposable in that they often encounter a nail but the user just keeps on working because a stoppage costs money. So you change out the blade at the end of the day..or not at all, or until it won't cut or smokes more than it cuts.

Ripping on the job sites I've been a part of is a rare or occasional event. Sometimes a board will need a notch cut with the grain, but a full blown down the board rip is better handled by the table saw on site. Oh it does happen, and often the base of the saw is grasped by the free hand and guided against the fingers and board down the length. Or a chalk line is follow if the cut is not a parallel rip.

So your research on "ripping" may come up short of info, I donno? The 24 T is the best blade, but I have seen and used a 16T in a thin kerf Dewalt. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM

View goXtreme's Photo Album My Photos
I do know that if an old fridge makes you mad enough, a DeWalt 7 1/4" blade will not last very long when you use the saw to teach the fridge, and other appliances that might be watching, a lesson when they make you mad, jus sayin ...

Typed on my iPhone 4S using Wood Forum
post #8 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 05:11 PM

View MeasureTwice's Photo Album My Photos

Tags
carbide, circular saw, power tools, ripping and framing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode