Rip capacity vs crosscut sled - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By 8stitches

post #1 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

View 8stitches's Photo Album My Photos
Rip capacity vs crosscut sled

Hello,
I am looking at a table saw with 24.5 inch rip capacity.

I want to create panels for art, with nice 90 deg angles. Let’s say I want to make a 36x36 inch panel from, say, a 40x40 inch stock.

Can’t I use a crosscut sled to trim off the 4 inches? (Update, I think I realize now why this is not a good idea)
Any other ways to accomplish this with this saw?

Thanks. Just trying to be SAFE.

Last edited by 8stitches; 11-14-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 06:28 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Ripping and crosscut are two completely different operations that have nothing to do with each other.

Have you ever used a table saw to do either?

George
post #3 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 06:48 PM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8stitches View Post
Hello,

I am looking at a table saw with 24.5 inch rip capacity. Wondering, what does rip capacity really matter if I remove the fence and use a crosscut sled?

I want to create panels for art, with nice 90 deg angles. Lets say I want to make a 36x36 inch panel from, say, a 40x40 inch stock.

Cant I use a sled to trim off the 4 inches?

Thanks. Just trying to be SAFE.

Lets see if I can give you a proper answer.
If you have a 40x40 panel and you want it to be 36x36 you do need to trim 4 from adjacent sides.

Typically sleds are used to crosscut narrower pieces. You could build a sled but it would be an unwieldy sled as it has to take the full 40 depth of the panel. Add 3 for the front and back of the sled and now its 43 deep, only 5 less than the width of a sheet of plywood.

I have a full size table saw with 33 rip capacity and a top that is 31x40. I would be very hesitant to put a 43 deep sled on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidR8 For This Useful Post:
8stitches (11-14-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks David that helps
George, no, I have used lots of power saws but am looking to purchase first table saw. I do understand the difference between a rip and cross cut. Just making sure i buy the right machine for what I want to accomplish.
NoThankyou and DavidR8 like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

So David, can I ditch the sled idea and cut the 4 inches off by setting the fence 4 inches from the blade?
post #6 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
If you cut a lot of sheet goods...aka plywood .....

You may want to get a vertical panel saw rather than a table saw. They are great for sizing plywood and other large sheets to what ever dimensions you need:

There are horizontal versions of this type of jig:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+cross+cut+jig

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-14-2019 at 07:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
8stitches (11-14-2019)
post #7 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 09:39 PM

View DavidR8's Photo Album My Photos
Rip capacity vs crosscut sled

Quote:
So David, can I ditch the sled idea and cut the 4 inches off by setting the fence 4 inches from the blade?

You can but it is not advisable because of the risk that the narrow cutoff will get trapped between the blade and the fence and shoot back.
If it were me I would make a simple jig that uses a circular saw to make the cuts.

Edit: I cringed watching the opening of the second video above. If someone using my tablesaw passed their hand that close to the blade even one time they would be done cutting.
Thats unbelievably unsafe.

Last edited by DavidR8; 11-14-2019 at 09:44 PM.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 09:51 PM
where's my table saw?

No, that's not the reason .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR8 View Post
You can but it is not advisable because of the risk that the narrow cutoff will get trapped between the blade and the fence and shoot back.
If it were me I would make a simple jig that uses a circular saw to make the cuts.

The "narrow" cut off is no problem. The real issue is the cut is a "one time and done" operation. You don't get another chance to recut it. If you are having "shoot back" issues when ripping narrow stock, your fence and blade are out of alignment and are pinching the stock after the blade cuts the material. You should be able to leave a narrow piece between the spinning blade and fence for as long as required to finish your operation with no issues. That's how my saws are set up.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #9 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

This is all very helpful

Woodnthings, can you Please explain the one and done issue? Not sure I see the problem you are trying to convey?
post #10 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 10:02 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I watch these guys work and apparently they don't worry too much about their fingers. Makes me wonder why one guy always wears a left hand glove. Maybe because he lost a digit or 2?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #11 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 PM
where's my table saw?

Sure ......

Quote:
This is all very helpful

Woodnthings, can you Please explain the one and done issue? Not sure I see the problem you are trying to convey?

When you are cutting the waste side off a panel and leaving the "good" side to the left of the blade, you get one chance to make the proper measurement and cut. Why? Because now the piece is either perfect, not wide enough, or too wide and it won't fit between the blade and fence because of the limited rip capacity..... "one and done" sorta thing.

post #12 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 PM
where's my table saw?

I was astonished myself .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I watch these guys work and apparently they don't worry too much about their fingers. Makes me wonder why one guy always wears a left hand glove. Maybe because he lost a digit or 2?

I watched this guy in the video I posted above, run his hands way too close to the blade and it is real curious why he wears a glove only on the left hand, unless it's a rubberized glove to increase the grip on slippery material. I have some like that and they have their place in the wood shop, but not near a lathe!

post #13 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Wink Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
When you are cutting the waste side off a panel and leaving the "good" side to the left of the blade, you get one chance to make the proper measurement and cut. Why? Because now the piece is either perfect, not wide enough, or too wide and it won't fit between the blade and fence because of the limited rip capacity..... "one and done" sorta thing.
Thanks!

So you all answered my questions. Much appreciated. Since I have not used a table saw before, I think Ill play it safe and not try to exceed rip capacity. Ill make a nice jig with my new saw to cut larger panels with my circular saw.
And I wont wear gloves while using rotary tools
post #14 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 PM
No Longer Here

View bob493's Photo Album My Photos
For cutting large stock, you shouldn't really be using a cross cut sled anyway. In that scenario of 40x40 trying to achieve 36x36, 4" is plenty safe distance to size flat on the fence, especially with a riving knife; and 40" is small enough to make it wieldly. If we're talking about 8 foot stock here, then thats another animal best suited for track saw/circular saw uses.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-14-2019, 11:08 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I look at a glove as an extension of your hand and so does a rotating saw blade. The glove is larger than you hand and i doubt that a saw blade will neatly slice of a soft piece of the glove. The larger target, the glove, if caught, will pull toward the blade. At that point, the saw dont care whats inside the glove.
I see a lots of guys on youtube doing some really nice and some times ingenious woodworking projects but i do not consider them as knowledgeable woodworkers. Some dont understand the basic concepts that apply to woodworking or safety.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #16 of 16 Old 11-15-2019, 12:09 AM
Ancient Termite

View NoThankyou's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Yes you can. . . . But it would be better to set the fence to 36 inches and cut. It is a bit safer to make the wide cut and you are less likely to score the intended "good" edge.

Rich
In furniture 1/32" is a Grand Canyon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode