Rigid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

View dwwright's Photo Album My Photos
Rigid Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander

Anyone ever used or owned one of these? I'm considering buying it and would like to hear some reviews.

Here is a pic

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Never owned one but FWIW it got rave reviews in one of my recent tool reviews. Can't remember which off hand.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 04:46 PM

View C&D Woodcraft's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
Never owned one but FWIW it got rave reviews in one of my recent tool reviews. Can't remember which off hand.
Yeah, I think it was either Woodcraft or Shop Notes--best bang for the buck. I was thinking of getting one myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 PM

View formula462's Photo Album My Photos
I have one in the shop and use almost everytime I use the other tools. It works great and speeds up a project. I like the tilting table feature and as soon as I get a cable I can upload some pics of several projects that it was invaluable on.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I picked one up today. Am really liking it. My first impression is that they thought of just about everthing on this...storage for all the tools and supplies, storage for the accessories, and very versitile. I am impressed! Will post some pics once I get done upgrading the laptop.

Did get a chance to try it and made some serious saw dust, but the built in dust collection port took care of that.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 08:46 AM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
I've had one for a few years,its limited ,but its a good tool.Great for shaping up small items,i find my self wanting something a little bigger,something in the 36"-48" range,there kind of expensive,used ones are hard to come by,been looking for a while.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"
post #7 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I was doing some longer boards last night and had trouble with keeping them straight. So thought about mounting it on a bench with some table/fence extensions on each side, almost like a jointer. Like this...

_____O_____
post #8 of 13 Old 01-21-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, Overall I am very happy with this purchase. I think it will help give my projects a clean look. The assembly was easy and did not have to do any adjustments to true the machine up other than adjusting the ride of the belt.

For those that haven't seen one up close...

Note the storage slots on the front...

Dust Collector/shop vac attachment. A little dust gets by, but works well overall. Also there is storage for the belt sander/insert on the base. Next to this are two holes for storing the included hex wrenches.

The table adjustment has notches for various angles.

A storage place for every attachment.

The belt sander attached. A lever on the back releases the belt tension. The small knob on the right adjusts the belt's position.

The table top closes down to retain the attachments that are stored on the front panel.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-25-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Just saw this sander in one of the wood magazines. They rated it as a best buy and best value.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2007, 12:46 AM

View Jack's Building's Photo Album My Photos
A guy I used to work with had one and it worked well. I have been thunking about buying one myself. Around here they are about $200, at home depot. Jack
post #11 of 13 Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Resident smart a$$!!!

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
I have the old grey one. You can have it after you pry it from my cold dead hands.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-15-2007, 12:02 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Rigid oscillating edge belt sander

I have one of these machines in my shop, and I am quite pleased with the ease of use and function of it.I haven't been using it for very long, as I am still getting my shop set up, but for small projects it is very handy. If you are planning to tackle something large it would probably be better to get a bigger unit.

One of the things that makes this unit so handy is that you can quickly change from a belt sander to a spindle sander. Changing spindle sizes is also very quick and easy.

Have a great day.

Gerry
post #13 of 13 Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Resident smart a$$!!!

View Corndog's Photo Album My Photos
I got mine when I was building electric basses. It is an essential tool for small shop luthiere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode